Advice on booking summer 2019 cruise

Worldtraveler 4727

1. When Princess opens cruises for Europe summer 2019, does anyone know if the deposit will a refundable one or not and what the deposit will likely be for a 12 day cruise?

2. Also, I intend to use Future Cruise Deposits for the deposit. By using FCDs, does that automatically mean the deposit is either refundable or non-refundable?

3. Having never used a FCD before, is there a place on the online booking form to record my and my husband's FCD numbers? (I am not using a TA for this cruise yet. Booking through Princess myself right now.)

4. And if the deposit is non-refundable, does that mean that if I cancel the cruise at some point I simply lose the deposit, or can I apply the deposit to a future cruise?

5. Finally, is it really true that THE BEST prices on a cruise are the ones published the day the cruise debuts??

TIA!

1. Deposits are refundable except for some specific promotions and then the promotion determines the R or NR status.

2. No

3. No place online; you should call Princess to make your booking so these can be applied. You can start online if you wish and then place it on a courtesy hold for 24 hours.

4. Depends on what promo you used AND the expiry date of your FCD. Often you can transfer an unexpired FCD to a new booking, but not so if you turned it into a NR deposit, or it has expired.

5. No

1. When Princess opens cruises for Europe summer 2019, does anyone know if the deposit will a refundable one or not and what the deposit will likely be for a 12 day cruise?

2. Also, I intend to use Future Cruise Deposits for the deposit. By using FCDs, does that automatically mean the deposit is either refundable or non-refundable?

3. Having never used a FCD before, is there a place on the online booking form to record my and my husband's FCD numbers? (I am not using a TA for this cruise yet. Booking through Princess myself right now.)

4. And if the deposit is non-refundable, does that mean that if I cancel the cruise at some point I simply lose the deposit, or can I apply the deposit to a future cruise?

5. Finally, is it really true that THE BEST prices on a cruise are the ones published the day the cruise debuts??

TIA!

$100 ( £75) FCDs are good for normal bookings. To get your preferred stateroom I suggest you book as soon as you can then keep checking, if there is a price drop phone Princess to take advantage if they let you. Yes FCDs are refundable before I think, 90 days from sail date and transferable to another booking. If you don't use them you get the money back after 2 years anyway. The ups and downs of Princes prices are quite unpredictable so get in quick then negotiate if prices go down..

so, on the same cruise that states deposits made under this promotion are NON-Refundable, are you stating that if you make that deposit with a FCD that it is refundable, but if you make that same deposit with a credit card it is NON-refundable?:evilsmile:

so, on the same cruise that states deposits made under this promotion are NON-Refundable, are you stating that if you make that deposit with a FCD that it is refundable, but if you make that same deposit with a credit card it is NON-refundable?:evilsmile:
Hi voljeep Yes you of course you are right. When Princess says there special terms for their promotions then that's it. I was only referring to standard bookings .

Several have posted here that they lost their FCD when canceling a cruise because the deposits were non-refundable. There were several things mentioned: had the FCD expired so couldn't be used again ?, what country was the booking made ?, did you try transferring the FCD to another cruise or just ask for $ back?

Always best to confirm what will happen with your FCD should you cancel the cruise you are booking. In past years before all the non-refundable deposit promotions you either got your $ back if requesting it, could transfer to another cruise, or could put it back into your account to use in the future before expiration.

Yes, but most normal bookings have refundable deposits. It's normally the last-minute or past final payment data ones. SO, my take would be to not even worry about it until I was faced with making a booking with non-refundable terms and then ask Princess. Things change. Terms change. Best to investigate and read terms in the situation.

If you sign in and book online, when you complete the booking you are asked if you want to use your FCD as a deposit. Your Princess account shows your FCD amount so you don't need any other info. If you want a hold, it is for 72 hours not 24 -did this twice this year, most recently last month.

If you have not actually put any money down your TA can complete the booking with your booking number without you calling Princess for a transfer or you can sign in with the booking number and complete it yourself when you're ready.

if you sign in and book online, when you complete the booking you are asked if you want to use your fcd as a deposit. Your princess account shows your fcd amount so you don't need any other info. If you want a hold, it is for 72 hours not 24 -did this twice this year, most recently last month.

If you have not actually put any money down your ta can complete the booking with your booking number without you calling princess for a transfer or you can sign in with the booking number and complete it yourself when you're ready.

agree

Thanks. All of this has been really helpful.

I did read here on CC that the BEST price for the cruise is the first day the cruise is posted--beats future "sales" etc. I will be very interested to watch the price on this one.

Good idea.

Watch the never ending Princess Sales that include your sailing , up until Final.

We usually book early but have never had a Princess booking that we did not adjust to a Sale Promo at least once before Final.

I will, indeed, keep watch. It will be interesting to see if any of the sales will make a difference in the bottom line.

I'm also going to keep the booking myself and work through Princess myself, although I wouldn't mind turning it over to a TA at some point to see if a small office or a big box office would give me any perks for the booking.

Any advice on that move and the timing of it would be welcome.

TIA