Koningsdam - 11/19/17 Return to Hal

kenevenpar

Loving your review of the KDam!

X cruisers??? Naaaah...we do like Celebrity, but we go where the deals are. Celebrity often has the best deals, but we booked the KDam for 21 days with gratuities and $300 shipboard credit for FAR less than $2000 a person. Tough deal to beat. We also like RCCL older ships, and often cruise on them.

Keep the review and photos coming!

Outstanding. 21 days under 2k, with 300 of free grats and 300 OBC.

Was it the Summit repo we sailed with you?

Outstanding. 21 days under 2k, with 300 of free grats and 300 OBC.

Was it the Summit repo we sailed with you?

I am not sure if it was a repo, but it was definitely the Summit. We will be back on the Summit in October 2018 for two weeks.

We just got off the Equinox on November 6. If you are interested, here is the youtube link:

But we are definitely looking forward to the Koningsdam in less than 6 weeks now. We want to see more of your photos!

Edited by existentialtraveler

I was also on your sailing. Usually sail Celebrity and Princess. And we checked out the Vista “suite “ size and photo online ahead of time. Looks to be similar to the Princess minisuite. It had been 10 years since our last (second) HAL cruise. On the Kdam we had an “obstructed” balcony. Oh my, yes, it was really obstructed with big white supporting metal columns that we could “see” through the center area. The cabin was between life boats. On Princess or Celebrity, that position usually means great straight-forward views. Well, not a game changer, just good to know ahead of time! We felt the crew was very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the evening shows. We did love the Navigator system to keep track of activities and our account—we could even easily make a personal “itinerary” on my iPhone. Enjoyed your report!

Agree! Thanks for jumping in here!

Ken

Also on other lines they have a night light in the bath room for a new ship and you would thought they would have put one in. The cabin was fine for us never in there but to sleep first balcony we had in a long time used it for drying bathing suits only never sat out there just watched when we left from amber cove . Best part of cabin was shower stall no tub .

Thanks no joke. Work is getting in the way today. More later.

The suites are actually different from the photo on HAL site, at least when we booked. I did look at pictures beforehand, but I was not prepared for what we had. We did love the view and balcony.

Continuing ...

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, Days 4,5, &6, ABC (BCA in our case) islands

Bonaire was a snorkeling day, ship sponsored two dive trip. Well run, good snorkeling, clean and properly working equipment. Fun Day!

DSC_7398.jpg

A full length view of the impressive KDam:

DSC_7419.jpg

Wednesday night was Tamarind. WOW, what a home run. Absolutely loved it, from the service, to the menu, to the plating, it was all wonderful. We immediately scheduled another visit, to replace a Caneletto reservation. We both loved the Ginger Garlic Lobster entree. I can guarantee that I will be trying to duplicate this at home. Sushi, Sashimi, and rolls were fresh, and delicious. The Tamarind chocolate desert was amazing, so much so that I am amazed I was able to limit it to one (each visit).

Thursday was Curacao and Thanksgiving. It was also Thanksgiving for those of us from the US. We had a traditional Turkey dinner, which we enjoyed with another couple, who were not celebrating Thanksgiving, as they had done so at home in Canada about a month earlier.

Christmas decorations in the Carribean, yeah. It was toasty, upper 80's IIRC. We spent some time walking across the bridge, found a spot with 2 for 1 drinks, which means that they double the price for one, and give you two. Sounds like cruise marketing.:eek: RCCL and =X= are fanous for the 50% off second guest sales. Amazingly, the day before the sale the individual price goes up. I'm sure it is just a coincidence. But I digress. The drinks were fine and the free WIFI made DW happy checking on Grandkids, because they have probably changed in the 6 days since we last saw them.

KDam%2011%2023%2017-32.jpg

Curacao was a walk around town, pool onboard day. It was also Thanksgiving for those of us from the US. We had a traditional Turkey dinner, which we enjoyed with another couple, who were not celebrating Thanksgiving, as they had done so at home in Canada about a month earlier.

Friday was Pinnacle Grille. I have always been underwhelmed by this restaurant on previous cruises. This time, we both really enjoyed it. Some of it was due to our waiter, who was terrific, from a personality perspective, as well as his professionalism. If you haven’t guessed, I have a dry sense of humor, and he got it, and played off it. We haven’t laughed so much in quite a while. This was the only night I walked out of a restaurant completely and totally stuffed; I had to do a couple of laps on the promenade to start to feel normal. Oh, I had the large Filet Mignon, which was done to perfection. A significant quantity of our wine was consumed, as I had done a wonderful job of pairing the wine with the filet. The waiter talked us into coming back for lunch the next day, which was almost as much fun, but less wine.

Aruba was a beach day via public bus for $5 each roundtrip, which was easy to navigate, and only a few minutes wait for the bus. We got off at Palm Beach near the RIU, and visited the bar/restaurant that was beachside. Fun, and not outrageously expensive. Great day.

KDam%2011%2025%2017-14_1.jpg

KDam%2011%2025%2017-18.jpg

We were on the sailing too and you have saved us from suite envy. We were offered an upsell to a suite from a veranda but didn't get back in time and so nothing was available. We wanted a suite because it was bigger (or so we hoped) and have never had one. Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to take advantage of the upsell!

My DH was using a mobility scooter part of the time and it VERY interesting getting it around the bed. At the time we booked he didn't need a scooter but from these boards I knew that getting it into the room could be difficult but never imagined it would be harder to get it around the bed!

Barb

We were on the sailing too and you have saved us from suite envy. We were offered an upsell to a suite from a veranda but didn't get back in time and so nothing was available. We wanted a suite because it was bigger (or so we hoped) and have never had one. Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to take advantage of the upsell!

Barb

We got the upsell offer too. I didn’t want to give up our location for the locations that were available.

There is nothing wrong with the Signiture or Neptune Suites. I just do not think they compare to the Celebrity offering.

Bonaire was a snorkeling day, ship sponsored two dive trip. Well run, good snorkeling, clean and properly working equipment. Fun Day!

I do not see us BUT we where on with you

Where were you sitting on the way back? Maybe I have a picture.

I agree on the OP comments on "suites". I did some research, and decided to save my$$ and stay with our V cabin, (which is a crotch cabin) and seems to have the same amount of cabin space and a larger balcony. We like aft cabins the best, but HAL charges a ridiculous premium for them. I really have enjoyed Celebrity. We chose the HAL/Koningsdam because if itinerary. Celebrity couldn't compare with what we chose. Nevertheless, I've never had a bad cruise nor bad food. ps: I've found that food over the past 25yrs has went down in quality on almost every cruise line. And I have a big issue paying dinner. We've done it when we received a comp, but wouldn't pay otherwise.

I agree on the OP comments on "suites". I did some research, and decided to save my$$ and stay with our V cabin, (which is a crotch cabin) and seems to have the same amount of cabin space and a larger balcony. We like aft cabins the best, but HAL charges a ridiculous premium for them. I really have enjoyed Celebrity. We chose the HAL/Koningsdam because if itinerary. Celebrity couldn't compare with what we chose. Nevertheless, I've never had a bad cruise nor bad food. ps: I've found that food over the past 25yrs has went down in quality on almost every cruise line. And I have a big issue paying dinner. We've done it when we received a comp, but wouldn't pay otherwise.

I think I forgot to mention that one of the primary reasons we chose this cruise was the itinerary. coupled with the desire to try out Koningsdam..

Saturday, Day 7, At Sea

We were able to get two chairs at the pool in the second row from the pool (see above for the KDam approved method for scoring two great seats) next to an elderly couple who were regulars in their two seats.

Lido Market for lunch (not the first visit, just remembering this time). I really like the Distant Lands station, not the Italian one, rather the Pan Asian (my term). The use of curries and spices were wonderful to my palate! I would also grab a plate of three pieces from a roll; spicy tuna (not spicy) and Salmon were my two favorites of the “sushi” offered. For the first time, they had chocolate ice cream, so I could not help but get some, with chocolate sauce, of course.

Comments on Lido Market:

I am not a fan of buffets. In 31 cruises, we have never had dinner at the Lido, or similar on RCCL or =X=, and would safely predict that we won’t in the future.

The Lido Market was well organized, which unfortunately, was not true for all guests. There were clear signs that delineated the start point of the serving line for each station, which apparently did not apply to the privileged who think that lines are not necessary and that everyone else needs to move out of their way.

I really like the method utilized where staff plates your food. Going into the cruise, I wasn’t sure how well this would work, but I was truly impressed at how efficiently it was handled (pun intended). I get so annoyed at the folks on other lines who think it is acceptable to lick their fingers before diving into a tray of smoked salmon, or checking half a dozen rolls before deciding on one at the bottom of the pile. UGH! There was a learning curve, at least for me, about those items that are already plated, and it is acceptable to take them. Smoked Salmon at breakfast was one of these items, so believe me when I tell you that I can become a quick learner.

I must say that it is a lovely area, even if it is a buffet. Also, I am not sure that I ever ran into a staff member in the Lido was not smiling and being helpful. Well done.

KDam%2011%2025%2017-38.jpg

Oh, most important to me, well, next to my smoked salmon, was the coffee. It was always available whatever early hour I arrived, and it was pretty good. I met the staff member who replenished the tea and sugar and refilled the coffee maker, and who always had a pleasant disposition, a credit to HAL. The was a bit on the strong side, which as a Starbucks drinker, was A O K with me. Choice of cream or 2% milk was always ready, and the hole in the counter for used spoons eliminated the confusion of what to do with spoons. Well done!

KDam%2011%2025%2017-36.jpg

OMGoodnes, how could I forget. Saturday, At Sea ...

I was getting tired of sitting at the pool, so I announced to DW that I was going in search of Boobies, and that I would return with pictures of Great Boobies. "Don't get hurt" she replies.

Boobies.jpg

I had some luck

And found a nice pair:

KDam%2011%2025%2017-207%208X10.jpg

KDam%2011%2025%2017-233%208X10.jpg

The quality isn't quite as good as I like; I did not have my big "birding" lens.

Thanks! Hope you get another great deal on a Neptune!

me too..bet we will. someone showed me an excellent one for 14 days in Europe last spring...we get that we will be sailing then too in 2018. planning next november again and perhaps xmas too with the kids.

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Days 8,9,10, Amber Cove (DR), Gran Turk, and Half Moon Cay

After heading north for a day plus, Amber Cove was next. We did a ship tour of Puerto Plata, which was just OK, but for $29, we didn’t complain too much. It seemed to have too many “shopping” opportunities and not enough real places to see. Guide was very good. The MDR menu was uninspired, and I guess the food was as well as I cannot remember what either of us had. My only notes said that dinner was the least favorite so far. Service was good, although we could feel the pressure to finish as it was getting late.

These are available to rent as a a HAL tour:

DSC_8945.jpg

Gran Turk was next for a short visit. We scored two chairs under an umbrella, at the pool in the cruise center. Enjoyable. All aboard was at 1:30, so we visited our chairs before heading to the Lido Market. We spent the rest of the day reading and dipping at the pool. We ate in the MDR with a couple who we met at breakfast a few days earlier, and who were kind enough to invite us and another couple to join them in the MDR. Dinner was good, the company enjoyable, and service was very good. DW said I may have been talking a bit much, which I find hard to believe as I usually can’t get a word in edgewise, and for some unknown reason I pointed this out to her. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the security lock was firmly in place when I returned to the cabin.

DSC_9201.jpg

Half Moon Cay, absolutely my favorite stop. I woke up to heavy rain, which then turned to light rain. After breakfast, we headed over and looked for our clamshell which I had prepaid before we left. DW had questioned me about getting one, as she felt there was enough natural shade that could be used. When the attendant set us up, it started drizzling again, just as the bar runner took our orders. I pointed out to DW that, again, I was right to have ordered the clamshell which was now a huge umbrella. She had to agree that indeed I was brilliant. Twice in one trip, I reminded her. No locked door this time.

The weather worsened, and at 12:30 Captain Darrin Speaking (I hope I got the spelling right) called us all back to the ship, and we left for FLL earlier than expected. He also mentioned that one of the Azipods was acting up, so “out of an abundance of caution, he ordered a tug for the entry to FLL.

We did get a rainbow during sail-away:

KDam%2011%20xx%2017-273.jpg

Have never cruised with Celebrity but have sailed Koningsdam and look forward to your comparisons.

HAL ships are quieter and an older crowd (which is not a bad thing). Food in Celebrity is not quite as good as it once was (our trip to their Tuscan Grill was awful) and we (personally) hate Qzine (in fairness, some love it). Celebrity's french gourmet restaurant is the best .. now, however, it is only on the larger, newer ships. HAL's Pinnacle Grille is almost as good, and the Tamarind is very nice. The brand new Celebrity ships have loud music in the center of the ship and all the bars were so busy you could barely find a place to sit. Love the classical music venue on HAL. Moneywise, HAL saves you some. And their specialty restaurants are a lot cheaper. Like them both ... but we usually go on HAL.

HAL ships are quieter and an older crowd (which is not a bad thing). Food in Celebrity is not quite as good as it once was (our trip to their Tuscan Grill was awful) and we (personally) hate Qzine (in fairness, some love it). Celebrity's french gourmet restaurant is the best .. now, however, it is only on the larger, newer ships. HAL's Pinnacle Grille is almost as good, and the Tamarind is very nice. The brand new Celebrity ships have loud music in the center of the ship and all the bars were so busy you could barely find a place to sit. Love the classical music venue on HAL. Moneywise, HAL saves you some. And their specialty restaurants are a lot cheaper. Like them both ... but we usually go on HAL.

Thanks for the comments. More recent reports indicate that =X= has toned down the volume; I hope so. As mentioned in the report, I thought BBKing on this trip was way too loud.

One thing HAL does not have is this gem found on Reflection:

DSCF2255.jpg

Koningsdam had its share of funky art. More on that later.

Thanks for the comments. More recent reports indicate that =X= has toned down the volume; I hope so. As mentioned in the report, I thought BBKing on this trip was way too loud.

One thing HAL does not have is this gem found on Reflection:

DSCF2255.jpg

Koningsdam had its share of funky art. More on that later.

Well, maybe not, but Veendam once had a plastic palm tree on the aft deck, or Retreat, as they called it. I'm sure someone can come up with a picture of it.

Fort Lauderdale, Wednesday, Day 11

At about 6:00 AM the Tug was in place and grabbed a line from the ship in case turning assistance was needed.

DSC_9251.jpg

We arrived a few minutes after 7:00. Disembarking was delayed a good 45 minutes, allegedly due to Coast Guard or customs, I don’t care or recall which.

We were on an Everglades tour with transfer to FLL. We have been on three other Everglades tours, and this was the least interesting of the four.

KDam%2011%20xx%2017-459%208x10.jpg

The airboat part of the tour was too short and did not cover enough area. The tour guide was pretty good, but some of the information she was given for her presentation was flat out wrong, or slanted in one direction or another. Nonetheless, we had a good time, and arrived at Spirit Airlines in time grab a snack and board our flight.

The true Spirit customer service came through on this flight, but we made it home.

Time to wrap it up (yeah), stay tuned.