Tell me about the Sun

mkcurran

I'm looking at possibly spending two weeks on this ship. The one thing I really need to know about is the laundry situation. Are there plenty of self service machines? Is it pricey to send the laundry out to get it done?

Also if there is anything else that you would like to share with me about this ship or any tips or tricks to make the cruise go smoother, I'm all ears(eyes).

Thanks!

I'm looking at possibly spending two weeks on this ship. The one thing I really need to know about is the laundry situation. Are there plenty of self service machines? Is it pricey to send the laundry out to get it done?

Also if there is anything else that you would like to share with me about this ship or any tips or tricks to make the cruise go smoother, I'm all ears(eyes).

Thanks!

There are no self-service laundry facilities on NCL ships.

Thanks!

As Colinillinois said, there are no self serve laundries on any NCL ship.

However, about midway through your cruise there will be a "bag special" offered. All you can stuff in their laundry bag for $20. I stuff socks in the corners, Roll briefs/panties tight, Roll shirts/blouses, and lay slacks flat. I can usually get 5 days' worth of clothes for each of us in one bag. The clothes come back in 2 days. Shirts pressed, underwear in tissue paper in a small open flat basket.

One thing I love about the Sun that the other NCL ships don't have is that outside the observation lounge is a small open bow, a good place to stand and watch entering a port.

Like the Jewel class ships the Sun also has The Great Outdoors, a sitting/eating area aft of the buffet.

As Colinillinois said, there are no self serve laundries on any NCL ship.

However, about midway through your cruise there will be a "bag special" offered. All you can stuff in their laundry bag for $20. I stuff socks in the corners, Roll briefs/panties tight, Roll shirts/blouses, and lay slacks flat. I can usually get 5 days' worth of clothes for each of us in one bag. The clothes come back in 2 days. Shirts pressed, underwear in tissue paper in a small open flat basket.

One thing I love about the Sun that the other NCL ships don't have is that outside the observation lounge is a small open bow, a good place to stand and watch entering a port.

Like the Jewel class ships the Sun also has The Great Outdoors, a sitting/eating area aft of the buffet.

The bag special sound perfect! I'm pretty sure we do not own enough drawers to make it through two weeks.That will also make packing that much easier.

We will definitely find that open bow. We'll more than likely be in an inside cabin, so outside spaces that aren't crowded will be on out must find list.

Thank you!

we liked the Sun, but our balcony room had the smallest shower we had ever seen. i never felt clean all week. at the time, i was 5'4", 180 and i had a really hard time. my body would touch the walls and the curtain constantly. i gave up trying to shave my legs in that shower. lol If i ever sailed her again, i would do so in a suite to get a bigger bathroom.

When I did the 15 night South America the laundry special was offered 2 maybe 3 times. I wasn't paying attention as we are both Platinum so get a free bag each anyway. Usually once a week on most ships there is the laundry special..

When I did the 15 night South America the laundry special was offered 2 maybe 3 times. I wasn't paying attention as we are both Platinum so get a free bag each anyway. Usually once a week on most ships there is the laundry special..

Even better.

Thanks!

we liked the Sun, but our balcony room had the smallest shower we had ever seen. i never felt clean all week. at the time, i was 5'4", 180 and i had a really hard time. my body would touch the walls and the curtain constantly. i gave up trying to shave my legs in that shower. lol If i ever sailed her again, i would do so in a suite to get a bigger bathroom.

So you no like the Psycho plastic shower curtain with Mr. Bates as your cabin attendant !

Next time book a MINI-SUITE - the bathrooms are double and half from the normal balcony cabin or do the full suite !

I realize the shower situation on most cruise ships is comical. I hate touching the shower curtain though...Oh well if we go it will still be better than being at work for two weeks.

So you no like the Psycho plastic shower curtain with Mr. Bates as your cabin attendant !

Next time book a MINI-SUITE - the bathrooms are double and half from the normal balcony cabin or do the full suite !

Hmmm....maybe I can talk my parents into to booking one of those. Then I can go use their shower when I need to shave my legs and wash my hair. I know they are going to get a balcony. Now to just convince them to upgrade a bit...

weve never had a shower issue on NCL except for this ship...it is one of the smaller ones, im told Sky would be the same experience. im set to be on Spirit next year - but im only 150 lbs now LOL!

I am 100kg and 5'5". I have sailed on the Spirit in a balcony cabin 9 times. The shower does not have a curtain. It has a sliding door. There is several inches either side of my shoulders and about a yard or more of space behind me. I have never had a problem but I expect someone will be along shortly to explain that their experience was totally different :rolleyes:

The bag special sound perfect! I'm pretty sure we do not own enough drawers to make it through two weeks.That will also make packing that much easier.

We will definitely find that open bow. We'll more than likely be in an inside cabin, so outside spaces that aren't crowded will be on out must find list.

Thank you!

When I said the bag special would be offered midway through your cruise I hadn't noticed that yours will be a two week cruise. There should be two and possibly three bag specials on a two week cruise.

About that clingy shower curtain in non-balcony cabins: we brought wooden clothes pins to weight the bottom of the shower curtain. That really helped, especially since my 6'2" husband is a rotund 250 lbs and those showers are fairly small.

Thanks!

Bad news: there are no self service laundry on NCL ships. They usually have a special 1/2 way through the cruise offering a 1/2 price deal on laundry or some type of special. Also if you plan a lot of mix and match outfits you might be surprised how you can stretch the wardrobe. Pick cloths that can be worn for a few or several days without getting dirty or showing the dirt.

Now about the ship. She is my very favorite. The crew is wonderful, the lay out easy to find your way around. It is just a large enough ship to have all the amentities and yet small enough to be friendly and cozy. The cabins are a little larger than some ships we have cruised on. One thing I love to do is go to Las Rambles late in the day for Tapas. I thing they are the only ship that offers this and it is a well kept secret even then. I am always surprised at how few take advantage of it. We love to get a couple of nibblers and a glass of wine.

We spent 25 days on the Sun earlier this year. The only complaint I have is the shower, as others have mentioned. A comedian said the best way to shower is to soap the walls of the shower and spin around. :) But, we had a great cruise, and loved everything else about the ship and the crew. You'll have a great time.

The shower maybe small, however it beats the heck out of the Epic bathroom set up. :) Spent 25 days on the Sun in a balcony. Yea, the shower is small, but doable. DH is 6'1 and 200lbs, he did ok.

The crew and staff on the Sun are some of the best IMHO

Don't use your real name - one of these day's I'm going to book that suit. :D

When I said the bag special would be offered midway through your cruise I hadn't noticed that yours will be a two week cruise. There should be two and possibly three bag specials on a two week cruise.

About that clingy shower curtain in non-balcony cabins: we brought wooden clothes pins to weight the bottom of the shower curtain. That really helped, especially since my 6'2" husband is a rotund 250 lbs and those showers are fairly small.

I'll definitely pack clothes pins.

Thanks!

The shower maybe small, however it beats the heck out of the Epic bathroom set up. :) Spent 25 days on the Sun in a balcony. Yea, the shower is small, but doable. DH is 6'1 and 200lbs, he did ok.

The crew and staff on the Sun are some of the best IMHO

Don't use your real name - one of these day's I'm going to book that suit. :D

Yes the Owners Suite 1203 on the NCL SUN was and is to die for !

Separate living room converts to 2nd bedroom

Full dining set-up for 4

Wet bar with all beverages no charge

Bedroom with dressing chamber

Walk-in Closet

Bathroom with double sink; separate shower and Jacuzzi bath for two

2 commodes - 1 in the bathroom and 1 at the entry door

30 x 8 foot balcony with 3 door access and small hot tub

located just above the bridge and below the superb Observation Deck

2 TVs - Living room TV has 5 channel Bose entertainment with DVD/CD player.

And of course Butler and Concierge service included

Oh and must not forget the "Door Bell" - the cabin is so big and spacious that one can't hear a knock on the

door if out on the balcony or in the bath

Almost double the square footage of a suite and near quadruple that of a balcony

Only -2- of these suites on the SUN

I guess that I was just darn lucky to book it when I did - I did not wait after the first one was booked.

Booked 5 months before sailing after price drop of some 4k

ECHO that: The crew and staff on the Sun are some of the best IMHO !

One cruise voyage that will not be forgotten - glad to entertain my CC guests.

Bad news: there are no self service laundry on NCL ships. They usually have a special 1/2 way through the cruise offering a 1/2 price deal on laundry or some type of special. Also if you plan a lot of mix and match outfits you might be surprised how you can stretch the wardrobe. Pick cloths that can be worn for a few or several days without getting dirty or showing the dirt.

Now about the ship. She is my very favorite. The crew is wonderful, the lay out easy to find your way around. It is just a large enough ship to have all the amentities and yet small enough to be friendly and cozy. The cabins are a little larger than some ships we have cruised on. One thing I love to do is go to Las Rambles late in the day for Tapas. I thing they are the only ship that offers this and it is a well kept secret even then. I am always surprised at how few take advantage of it. We love to get a couple of nibblers and a glass of wine.

Thanks for the tip on the Tapas. Will definitely seek that out. Actually sounds like the perfect plan for something light to eat after being in port.

I have packing down to a science, we re-wear pants & shorts. Shirts tend to get things dripped on them, because you can't me anywhere. ;p But the real issue is, we just don't own enough drawers to make it two weeks. Well that and knowing if laundry can be had at a good price, that's less to pack!

Thanks for the tip on the Tapas. Will definitely seek that out. Actually sounds like the perfect plan for something light to eat after being in port.

I have packing down to a science, we re-wear pants & shorts. Shirts tend to get things dripped on them, because you can't me anywhere. ;p But the real issue is, we just don't own enough drawers to make it two weeks. Well that and knowing if laundry can be had at a good price, that's less to pack!

You can wash the undies in the,sink and use,the line in the shower to hang them up to dry.

You can wash the undies in the,sink and use,the line in the shower to hang them up to dry.

I could, but I'm not a fan of hand washing or stiff line dried drawers. But there is reasonable priced laundry service, so it's all good. :)