Returned from our cruise to the craziest thing!

ValerieJo

We got back on Sunday from a 9 day cruise to the ABC islands (very close to Venezuela).

Turns out someone from Venezuela hacked into our Netflix account while we were cruising. They deleted my email address on the account, changed the password and set it up in Spanish.

We typically turn our phones off and lock them in the safe while we cruise.

Trying to figure out how this could have happened?

We got back on Sunday from a 9 day cruise to the ABC islands (very close to Venezuela).

Turns out someone from Venezuela hacked into our Netflix account while we were cruising. They deleted my email address on the account, changed the password and set it up in Spanish.

We typically turn our phones off and lock them in the safe while we cruise.

Trying to figure out how this could have happened?

Sounds like a question for your phone service provider. How was the cruise?

Sounds like a question for your phone service provider. How was the cruise?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not tech savvy, so that would be a good place to start.

The cruise was fantastic. One of our best ever. There are several others doing reviews of our sailing. We were on the November 24 sailing of Navigator.

Did you connect to free or public wifi? They wouldn't have needed direct access to your phones to get that information. Or it could be purely coincidental and the information was acquired in a completely unrelated way and just recently sold or just recently implemented.

With most data breaches being followed by increased monitoring of credit or accounts most information that's acquired from data breaches isn't sold or used for years afterward.

Did you connect to free or public wifi? They wouldn't have needed direct access to your phones to get that information.

This. It's easy to set up a wifi access point and capture all information that passes through it.

If you ever connect to public wifi, you put yourself at risk with any account that you access or log into. Best practice is to setup a VPN(private network inside the wifi network, Virtual Private Network) if you use public wifi.

IMPORTANT - if you use that same password for any other account, they now have your email address and password for those accounts. So I would immediately change your passwords to accounts with the same email/password as your Netflix account.

Most hackers will just start going through Google mail, Amazon, eBay etc using the password they captured and the email account associated with it to see if they can get in.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not tech savvy, so that would be a good place to start.

The cruise was fantastic. One of our best ever. There are several others doing reviews of our sailing. We were on the November 24 sailing of Navigator.

Fantastic. :D Hopefully your phone provider can get everything corrected for you. (yn)

As preciously posted best to contact your supplier

If the phones were turned off, it won't do any good to contact the cellular provider. They have nothing to do with security of a netflix account or what might happen on an unsecured wifi network. There has to be another explanation. OP, how is it you know the hacker was from Venezuela?

Contact Netflix. The hack may have nothing to do with the area you were cruising. Last year we had a random profile show up on our account, the settings were set to Spanish, and they increased out plan. I contacted Netflix and they were able to tell me where people were logging in from, and fix the problems, including refunding the $2 extra we were charged. Their customer service really is great. I did have to change the password and email associated with the account.