Have you taken a train to meet your ship? Thinking of doing it need opinions

Hflors

If it was me I would only do the train on the way to the cruise. Reason for me is because a number of times towards the end of a cruise, I get a cold. I would want to get on home and not be on the train.

But for someone living on the east coast and cruising out of Seattle, there are a number of train routes to experience , so Amtrak both ways could make sense.

We are going to a Dec. 31, 2018 wedding in Santa Barbara - and are looking at options for getting home: HAL from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. Train from LA to New Orleans then to NY, train LA to San Francisco then to Chicago then NY, or train LA to Chicago, then to DC then NY. Times, routes and stop-overs are all in the mix.

My advice - book a bedroom, not a roomette. Book early....bedrooms sell out quickly. I learned trains aren't cheap..

Chicago to Seattle one way fares - sept 4, 2018

Amtrak coach seat $146 per person

Roomette $616 per person (double occupancy)meals included

Bedroom $1052 per person (double occupancy)meals included

First class airfare $350 pp

Coach airfare $163 pp

Greyhound Bus $125 pp

Uber $1,077 pp (double occupancy) hotel/meals extra

Thanks for the great detailed info, well appreciated...

As a past Amtrak guest on the routes mentioned, one must build into the schedule at least a one day delay of arrival if one is trying to start a cruise. Personally, I would plan for a 2 day stay in the city of embarkation just to be sure.

Amtrak is a great way to see America and to meet many others of varying nationalities and occupations. The key word to enjoy such a journey is patience. If one is not patient and is bothered by delays and other hic-cups (i.e. running out of your favorite beverage in the diner or lounge car, etc., Amtrak may not be for you.

During our Hawaii cruise, we visited w/ a lady that said she'd taken the train from New England to Fort Lauderdale, boarded the Princess, gone through the Panama Canal to San Diego. She flew to San Francisco, then boarded our Sapphire Princess and took it to Hawaii, and said she was staying on the ship to Vancouver for Alaska. Last, she was to board another train back to New England.

She had said she wished she had stayed on the ship to San Francisco.

Not sure how she managed it w/ the PSVA, but maybe the Panama Canal segment included one of the ABC islands.

A couple of the people on the Sapphire Princess really hated flying. One of our dining companions was flying back, but the spouse was driving back east.

The nice thing about the train is that we both can see the scenery, since w/ a car the driver misses a lot of the pretty scenery.

As a past Amtrak guest on the routes mentioned, one must build into the schedule at least a one day delay of arrival if one is trying to start a cruise. Personally, I would plan for a 2 day stay in the city of embarkation just to be sure.

Amtrak is a great way to see America and to meet many others of varying nationalities and occupations. The key word to enjoy such a journey is patience. If one is not patient and is bothered by delays and other hic-cups (i.e. running out of your favorite beverage in the diner or lounge car, etc., Amtrak may not be for you.

I second this post...If you are easily frustrated by "issues" - Amtrak is not for you. We met wonderful people and non of them were in a hurry......set your expectations and you will have a good time...