Have you taken a train to meet your ship? Thinking of doing it need opinions

Hflors

So dh and I are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise. We live in Florida (btw we are thinking of doing it in Sept 2018 what will the weather be like then? we are hoping to avoid the crowds) Anyway we live in Florida. We are thinking of flying to Chicago and picking up Amtrak to Seattle for the cruise. Then on the way back taking Amtrak down the coast of California and then outside of San Francisco taking the train back to Chicago and then flying home. Should we get to seattle a day early? Did you have any timing issues. Would you do it again to meet a ship? Any tips would be helpful!!!

If you look on the Alaska board, you will find many discussions about September weather in Alaska. While not predictable, it could very well be colder, wetter, and there have been notable wind events in later September, including one this last September that damaged Noordam, and one 3 years ago that caused several ships to skip ports due to 70+ mph winds.

The cruise is cheaper for a reason...harder to sell.

Amtrak has improved it's on time performance considerably over the last 7-10 years, but given a hard dead line like a cruise, I would plan on getting to Seattle at least two days prior to sailing date.

So dh and I are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise. We live in Florida (btw we are thinking of doing it in Sept 2018 what will the weather be like then? we are hoping to avoid the crowds) Anyway we live in Florida. We are thinking of flying to Chicago and picking up Amtrak to Seattle for the cruise. Then on the way back taking Amtrak down the coast of California and then outside of San Francisco taking the train back to Chicago and then flying home. Should we get to seattle a day early? Did you have any timing issues. Would you do it again to meet a ship? Any tips would be helpful!!!

If you have not taken overnight AMTRAK trains before, I would check out some videos on line of the accommodations etc. We did the San Fran to Chicago "California Zephyr" and we wouldn't do it again. Scenery was not that good. Plus AMTRAK being a few hours late is almost on time for them. Definitely get there a day early - if not two....here is a site with real time train status

http://dixielandsoftware.net/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/

If you want to try a train....recommend the Seattle to San Fran leg....you will be going home and probably only have one night on the train....

Here is my blog post on one leg of our trip.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com/planes-trains-and-automobiles-amtrak/

We met a lot of great people on the train during meals, and some people absolutely love AMTRAK.....you may too, but I would be cautious booking so much train time without knowing if you will like it first.

Try a run up to NYC - see a play - then decide if you want more.

Many times and will certainly again. The last times I did it were in September, and a year ago in August.

Recently the train has tended to run fairly close to schedule arriving in Seattle; the schedule includes quite a bit of extra time at the end so it's not unusual to be a couple hours late in Montana but on time in Seattle. In any case though I would plan to arrive at least a day ahead; more if possible, Seattle is a great city.

I would also suggest considering flying to Toronto and taking the Canadian to Vancouver. While Amtrak is nice the Canadian train is superb.

Perhaps even Canada one way and Amtrak the other.

Roy

Whether you fly, drive or take a train -you should always plan to get to port of embarkation at least one day early.

If you are sailing from an interesting/beautiful port (like Seattle) you are missing a great opportunity if you do not go at least a couple of days early. Traveling across country for just a cruise is silly - when you can also see a distant part of the country.

Traveling by Amtrak may not be for everyone -but I much prefer it to flying (as long as you have a bedroom with enclosed toilet/shower).

Whether you fly, drive or take a train -you should always plan to get to port of embarkation at least one day early.

If you are sailing from an interesting/beautiful port (like Seattle) you are missing a great opportunity if you do not go at least a couple of days early. Traveling across country for just a cruise is silly - when you can also see a distant part of the country.

Traveling by Amtrak may not be for everyone -but I much prefer it to flying (as long as you have a bedroom with enclosed toilet/shower).

I am sorry but I don't feel that "traveling across country for just a cruise is silly", I want to take the train to see the parts of the country which we would not normally see on the way to our cruise. We could just fly to Seattle which would be quicker and a lot cheaper, but we would see nothing!

Many, many people (including people who post on these boards) travel across the country to here in Florida every day to catch their cruises, but we don't call them "silly".

BTW: I do thank you for taking the time to answer my question with your opinion.

I would also suggest considering flying to Toronto and taking the Canadian (VIA rail) to Vancouver. While Amtrak is nice the Canadian train is superb.

Perhaps even Canada one way and Amtrak the other.

Roy

This is very worthy of consideration.

I do not think that this is a silly idea.

Once people retire, they like to do things at a different pace and with different choices to see more.

I do like Roy's idea of flying to Toronto and taking the train across Canada.

Then Amtrack down the California coast. Then fly home from there.

Boy do you have lots of choices.

I do not think that this is a silly idea.

Once people retire, they like to do things at a different pace and with different choices to see more.

I do like Roy's idea of flying to Toronto and taking the train across Canada.

Then Amtrack down the California coast. Then fly home from there.

Boy do you have lots of choices.

Your idea of flying to Toronto isn't a bad idea, but we want to do the Amtrak "Empire Builder" out to our cruise then on the way back we want to take the train down the coast to California and take the "California Zephyr" back to Chicago. We think this will have us being gone from home for at least 3.5 weeks and that is if we don't decide to stay a couple of extra days somewhere.. We put the cruise we would like to take on "hold" until we can come to a decision about how to go and return. Thanks for your thoughts

I actually like your plan. Hate flying (though do it often). Traveling by train is so .... civilized. Loved it. You might not see much.... check the timetables as to where you'll be at night.....but it's still great. Though I fully admit - not knowing about the "rooms" on the cross-country trips..... we had a "roomette" on the trip from from Los Angeles to Seattle and back again. It was small, bathroom down the hall, shower down the stairs, and a teeny tiny bed for me (the smaller one) which dropped from the ceiling, But I would do it again....though in a bigger (more expensive) room/cabin....

DW and I have taken Amtrak from Emeryville (just east of SF) to Chicago. It's a fabulous trip....first day over/through Donner Pass and second day through/over the Rockies. Great if you like to see snow and don't want to deal with it.

I've also been on the CP, overnight from Vancouver to Banff.

That was an excellent trip with spectacular views as well.

It would be a wonderful way to start and end your voyage by taking the trains.

David

Your idea of flying to Toronto isn't a bad idea, but we want to do the Amtrak "Empire Builder" out to our cruise then on the way back we want to take the train down the coast to California and take the "California Zephyr" back to Chicago. We think this will have us being gone from home for at least 3.5 weeks and that is if we don't decide to stay a couple of extra days somewhere.. We put the cruise we would like to take on "hold" until we can come to a decision about how to go and return. Thanks for your thoughts

My advice - book a bedroom, not a roomette. Book early....bedrooms sell out quickly. I learned trains aren't cheap..

Chicago to Seattle one way fares - sept 4, 2018

Amtrak coach seat $146 per person

Roomette $616 per person (double occupancy)meals included

Bedroom $1052 per person (double occupancy)meals included

First class airfare $350 pp

Coach airfare $163 pp

Greyhound Bus $125 pp

Uber $1,077 pp (double occupancy) hotel/meals extra

Go a few days early.

We stayed (pre-cruise) in San Francisco. It's very expensive.

If you go, I'd suggest Muir Woods, Dylan's Famous Tour does San Francisco and Muir Woods. Also, try the Sourdough Bread.

We stayed in the Marriott Fishermen's Wharf.

San Francisco isn't the same city I grew up in. Our Guide w/ Dylan's Famous Tour said they have a lot of homeless in the Tenderloin district. It's about a block from Union Square. When we stayed at Untion Square, they had a guy sitting at the corner about a block from our hotel with his hand out. Both can be noisy, so ask for a room off the courtyard, not on the street. Dylan's Famous Tour took us to Muir Woods, and a lot of sites in the City too.

One of the times we visited w/ Celebrity, during Obama's Government shut down, Celebrity had cancelled all the tours involving National Parks. We couldn't stop in the Golden Gate Bridge area in town because it was blocked off, but we went across the Golden Gate and had a little viewing area.

Dylan's Famous Tour took us to several areas to view. So, I got a lot of pictures from different perspectives.

In California, there's also Yosemite a day's drive away. Wine Country a few hours North. They also have a Wine Train you can catch. I think you grab a bus to take you to the train station.

Seattle has the Space Needle, Chihuli Gardens, Pike's Place Market, just to get started.

My advice - book a bedroom, not a roomette. Book early....bedrooms sell out quickly. I learned trains aren't cheap..

Chicago to Seattle one way fares - sept 4, 2018

Amtrak coach seat $146 per person

Roomette $616 per person (double occupancy)meals included

Bedroom $1052 per person (double occupancy)meals included

First class airfare $350 pp

Coach airfare $163 pp

Greyhound Bus $125 pp

Uber $1,077 pp (double occupancy) hotel/meals extra

I think these fares are incorrect. You pay the low bucket coach fare for each passenger in the roomette or bedroom...plus the one time first class fare. The roomette/bedroom fare covers everyone, not per person. EM

I think these fares are incorrect. You pay the low bucket coach fare for each passenger in the roomette or bedroom...plus the one time first class fare. The roomette/bedroom fare covers everyone, not per person. EM

Here are the fares - you are correct in that you pay the base fare for each passenger plus the single fee for the room. That is why I said double occupancy. I divided the roomette and room fare by 2 to get the per person rate (based on double occupancy)

Here is the raw data

Chicago to Seattle - 1 way Sept 4th 2018

Empire Builder

One person - total fare

Coach $146

Roomette $949

Bedroom $1922

Now change to 2 people

Total fare for 2

Coach $292...(double the above)

Roomette $1132 ($183 more than a single)

Bedroom $2105 (divide by 2 is 1052)

Since your meals are included in the rooms and not the coach fare, that is why you add $183 vice $146 to the 1 person room fare for the second fare.

Maybe I punched in a wrong button into the website - please check my math....

I am sorry but I don't feel that "traveling across country for just a cruise is silly", I want to take the train to see the parts of the country which we would not normally see on the way to our cruise. We could just fly to Seattle which would be quicker and a lot cheaper, but we would see nothing!

quote]

I am afraid you missed my point. I was not talking about taking the train across the country being silly - in fact I mentioned taking a train myself to get to a cruise port.

I was referring to the notion of going across the country to catch a cruise without leaving enough time to see the port of embarkation - especially when it is an interesting city like Seattle .

I can really understand wanting to see the country. On our last Alaska cruise, we flew up to Calgary then took the Rocky Mountaineer Train to Vancouver where we boarded the ship. The train only went during the daylight, so we didn't miss anything.

Rocky Mountaineer is first class all the way. Once we got to our post-train hotel (arranged through the train company), we figured it was back to business as usual. But when our porter came to collect our luggage at the Pan Pacific the next morning, he refused our tip.

Rocky Mountaineer will book train/cruise combos, but we already had our cruise booked when we started looking at Rocky Mountaineer.

Reread post 1. And I see you haven't booked yet & you're flying to Chicago. Rocky Mountaineer goes into Vancouver. We did this, then boarded the Radiance of the Seas. But they also have a itinerary that goes into Seattle.

If you have any mobility issues, I'd suggest Silver Leaf. It's cheaper and doesn't have that narrow staircase to the bathrooms and dining. They have an elevator, but staff has to bring it up or down from outside the elevator, by pushing the summon button the entire time.

All the cruise/train combos will embark the ship in Vancouver.

We didn't have any obvious luggage screening on the train segment.

You'd be flying international.

Rockymountaineer.com

Edited by knittinggirl

quote]

I am afraid you missed my point. I was not talking about taking the train across the country being silly - in fact I mentioned taking a train myself to get to a cruise port.

I was referring to the notion of going across the country to catch a cruise without leaving enough time to see the port of embarkation - especially when it is an interesting city like Seattle .

How anyone can be in Seattle and not leave enough time to catch a thrown salmon at the Pike's Place Market is beyond me! 🦈(not a salmon emoji but close enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amtrak ticket prices vary greatly depending on day of the week, time of the year and how far in advance they are purchased. A roomette is very tight for two small people but we have done it. All meals are included and the food is pretty good most of the time. Service also varies depending on the crew, but it is generally good.

I’ve never been on the Empire Builder (Chicago to Seattle) but on half a dozen other routes and love traveling by train. We’ve done Houston to LA for a couple of cruises.

The only tracks Amtrak owns are in the Northeast. Everywhere else the tracks are owned by freight lines so maintenance and other issues can make trains run late, but the schedules are padded a bit so they can and do arrive early sometimes.

I was surprised how good the food was on Amtrak. However, they never changed the menu - don't know if they change it every few months, but on our two trips in 2016: Southwest Chief and California Zephyr the menu was identical. Menus are posted on my blog for both the cafe car and dining room car.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com/planes-trains-and-automobiles-amtrak/

Everyone we ate with had fascinating stories and meeting these people was the highlight of the trip. Never ate with the same people twice.

I expected better scenery in the Rockies & Sierras. Too often you are too close to the the canyon wall or tree line to see any vistas. Much better on the southwest chief where you have better sight lines.

Track was smooth in California along the coast, but quite jerky side to side elsewhere.

As an aside, Amtrak doesn't tolerate seat savers. During our transit across the Sierras seats in the observation car were very desirable. Two people had placed purses, backpacks on adjacent seats - they were warned once, then 10 minutes later they were kicked out because they didn't move their stuff. The Amtrak conductors didn't mess around. Same for anyone caught smoking - train is 100% non smoking- they are kicked off the train at the next stop.

We were glad we did Amtrak once, but we found the roomette to be too uncomfortable for sleeping - getting out of the top bunk was a pain.

We may do a one night trip again, but probably not any longer.

I would guess that if you enjoy RV travel and camping you will probably enjoy Amtrak more...everyone we met was having fun....lots of room to move around compared to air travel....no security hassles...seems weird to just walk onto the platform and just get on the train with anyone really checking anything. The sleeping car attendant will check your name off a list if you Baird one of their cars. Other cars you just get on and the conductor checks your ticket after the train leaves.

As Cruzr887 noted above - price varies a lot like airfare....so if you are flexible - check other dates. Book early for better prices and although expensive - bedrooms sell out quickly.

Lots of great you tube reviews on Amtrak to give you a good feel for the experience

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

quote]

quote]

That was what I understood you to say, and I didn't quite understand the OP's response. The train trip is a great idea, but as long as they have a chance to explore such a great city, it would be "penny wise and pound foolish" not to spend a couple of days there. Wish we were taking this trip!