Accessible cruising with parent of recent stroke.

masterty

I have never cared for any disabled person before. As a result, I have not paid a lot of attention to the needs of people requiring assistance from devices or people. This has all recently changed for me. An upcoming trip is to be our extended families first trip to Panama. Brothers and sisters, moms and dads. Unfortunately, things have changed. About 30 days ago, my father suffered a severe stroke leaving his left side completely paralyzed. His bleed was deep within his right hemisphere. The bleed was about the size of a golf ball they said. I mention this because some of you are nurses or doctors who understand what that all means better than I do. He is currently in a VA rehab that specializes in neuro rehabilitation. At 71 he is learning how to care for himself without the use of his left side. Everyday things get a little better but no left side arm or leg activity. His speech and swallow are good. Bowel and bladder function ok as well. As he does rehab each day he is telling us he is determined to get on this ship in FLL come February. This is a 15-day FLL to SFO full transit cruise. Everyone originally purchased insurance for both air and premium princess insurance for the cruise. So, cancellation is an option for all with little to no loss. Currently he is unable to transfer himself from chair to bed without the use of a lift. Lifts are available to rent and can be delivered to their cabin. They do have an accessible cabin booked because in 2016 my mother was recovering from a back injury that now no longer exists. At the time they were unsure how well she would recover and expected her to be stuck in a wheelchair. They had plans of exchanging the room in the event they did not need it. But, in a turn of events it will be my father needing the accessible room. So here I am 76 days from sail away trying to imagine not going on this cruise. Of course, should mom and dad not be able to go I could go and leave them behind, but am struggling with those emotions as well. We are all ready for 3 options. Go without, go with, or everyone cancel. I have already done the homework on home to airport wheelchair transportation. Airport and plane lifts, aisle chairs, accessible transport in FLL to hotel and then hotel to port as well as return to home accessibility requirements. Mom, dad, myself and wife are currently in row 3 and my brother and his family are in row 1 (mint) on Jetblue. So, dad with a seat swap with his son could have the first seat in the cabin on either side of the plane. It looks like both airports have lifts should he still need one in the airplane. In the end it will be the choice of my 71-year-old mom and dad to decide and then everyone else's choice to stay or go. I am ready for all the above. I shared all of this in hopes to get the most educated responses.

Couple of questions,

Have any of you ever traveled both air and ship with a person who needed a lift to transfer from bed to chair ect.? What are the challenges not yet understood?

Are there MDR options for someone in a wheelchair?

Assuming he is released to home and released by his physician to travel would travel insurance or additional travel insurance cover him more should he have a second stroke or other illness not related to his first stroke if purchased within any lookback timeline.

He will have two strong sons just a few doors away should he need assistance that mom can’t handle.

Thank you all in advance for your kind words of advice and sympathy’s

Edited by masterty

Cancellation on most Princess cruises is 75 days out with out penalty (unless it was booked with a non-refundable deposit). So you can probably cancel today or tomorrow.

Did everyone add insurance to their booking or did they actually pay for insurance at time of booking. There is a difference on how coverage and pre-existing (look back) conditions are treated in this situation. It would be difficult to purchase additional insurance at this point with this condition.

Yes - the dining room is accessible for those in a wheelchair. The ship is actually pretty accessible. I had a parent with a different disability - I have not been to Panama Canal so I don't have first hand knowledge there but many places outside of the US and Canada are not very wheelchair accessible (they don't have ADA). I also should say that Princess is excellent with those who have disabilities - they treated my Mom very well each cruise.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope you can get some answers here.

It is my understanding that Princess insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, regardless of when the policy was purchased. A recent thread discussed this as like you the poster had a father with medical issues. She called Aon, the carrier who writes the Princess insurance, for peace of mind you may want to verify this and how they define pre existing.

Best of luck, I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am an Occupational Therapist and I have treated many stroke survivors over the years. Have you discussed your plans with the therapists? Every stroke is different. How is your dad's cognition and his awareness of his left side? As an OT, I would want to try slide board transfers, if the therapists think he is ready. That would give you a lot more flexibility. A lot can improve between now and February!

It is my understanding that Princess insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, regardless of when the policy was purchased. A recent thread discussed this as like you the poster had a father with medical issues. She called Aon, the carrier who writes the Princess insurance, for peace of mind you may want to verify this.

Best of luck, I hope whatever decision you make is the right one

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have a look back period from the day you paid for insurance. So if they paid for it up front, it would be covered. If they just added it and haven't paid for it before the incident, it would not be covered. It is confusing and for this reason, I don't buy Princess's insurance. Plus, their medical coverage is minimal compared to 3rd party insurance.

Cancellation on most Princess cruises is 75 days out with out penalty (unless it was booked with a non-refundable deposit). So you can probably cancel today or tomorrow.

Did everyone add insurance to their booking or did they actually pay for insurance at time of booking. There is a difference on how coverage and pre-existing (look back) conditions are treated in this situation. It would be difficult to purchase additional insurance at this point with this condition.

All insurance was purchased in 2016 for both air and sail through JetBlue and through princess (premium). Any further insurance added on would be for any additional medical attention not caused by the stroke.

All insurance was purchased in 2016 for both air and sail through JetBlue and through princess (premium). Any further insurance added on would be for any additional medical attention not caused by the stroke.

So everyone paid for it with their cruise deposit?

Sorry to question this - a lot of people "add it but don't pay for it" and think they are covered when they are not. In your situation, it would make a huge difference.

We have traveled with our disabled son. He is a disabled vet who broke his neck in the Army when he was 20 years old. (He turned 21 in the hospital as he was there almost a year before being released.) He can self-transfer but we also know how to do the transfer ourselves. The HC cabins are great - wide doors, roll-in showers, and the cabin itself is about 1.5 times as wide as a regular cabin.

However, each case is completely different. As you say, it will likely be up to your parents but they need to consider how it will affect the rest of the group and who will actually be willing to alter their habits, wants, and expectations in order to assist. I have found that many people will say they will help, be ready for any assistance, blah, blah, blah but... When "poop" happens they freak out and don't want the hassle or embarrassment of dealing with it. Talk is cheap.

I would be more concerned with your parents and how they will deal with the situation and how they will hold up. It's too late to change one's mind mid-cruise. There is no way to know what improvements of changes (good or bad) will occur between now and your sail date. No matter how disappointing it might be my wife and I agree that we would probably not take the chance. Whether you want to sail and leave your parents behind is another kettle of fish. I can tell you that, if I was the parent in question, I would almost certainly stay home and encourage the rest of the family to go ahead without me.

So everyone paid for it with their cruise deposit?

Sorry to question this - a lot of people "add it but don't pay for it" and think they are covered when they are not. In your situation, it would make a huge difference.

Yes, everyone selected premium princess insurance when deposit was made in 2016. My parents were paid in full 60 days ago, 30 days before he had his stroke. Theirs and everyone else balance is paid in full today and we all selected Princess Premium insurance in May of 2016 when our deposits was made. My parents paid $1000 dollars in 2016 and the Balance in October of this year. All before he had his stroke. My question about more insurance was only relevant for any future medical emergencies they should incur that are not a condition of the first stroke. ie, broken leg or heart attack. Since many only have a 60 day lookback and we are 76 days away they could in effect purchase additional coverage to take effect during the cruise.

To the one who recommended the disabled forum, thank you. I had no idea such a forum existed. Admin may move if necessary.

Agree with Thrak. We just did an Alaskan cruise with my in laws...MIL has severe cardiac issues and is unable to ambulate well due to very poor heart function. We rented a scooter which was great. FIL has severe balance issues and mild cognitive decline. My Husbands 4 siblings attended as well. We had some rough seas for the first day and a half. Lots of sea sickness, my in laws could not leave their room. We became the primary care givers, and the rest of the family did their own thing a majority of the time.

The handicapped minisuite they had was fantastic. However, if we had to assist with toileting, transfers to and from bed the whole time it would have been impossible. It sounds great that there are lifts to rent, etc; however if you have no one medical in your party it is just very, very difficult. This is speaking as a RN and MD.

However, if we had to assist with toileting, transfers to and from bed the whole time it would have been impossible. It sounds great that there are lifts to rent, etc; however if you have no one medical in your party it is just very, very difficult. This is speaking as a RN and MD.

This is good advice. As of now, he would need a lift to transfer. If in fact he learns how to transfer himself, even if slightly assisted I think it would be fine. However if he is dependant on a lift for everything I think it may be better they cancel.

This is good advice. As of now, he would need a lift to transfer. If in fact he learns how to transfer himself, even if slightly assisted I think it would be fine. However if he is dependant on a lift for everything I think it may be better they cancel.

My son still laughs about the first time I took him out of the hospital to do some Christmas shopping. We arrived at a mall and I "assisted" him from the car to the chair. I carefully lifted him under the arms and then swung him around and very firmly planted his knee between my legs. He still can't believe I didn't just drop him at that point as my eyes got big and crossed and I made the classic, "OOOOHHHFFFFHHHH!!!" noise. I managed to plant him properly in the chair before folding up on the ground in the parking lot. Now that is dedication and concentration! ;p

Great ! you seem to have covered everything needed for your whole family to enjoy a fantastic cruise. I do suggest that you check direct with the underwriters of Princess insurance rather than just with Princess, as insurer's fine print will always give the reader a head ache. They will record the call so as to get all the facts. Do get their views then make a final decision.

Edited by Ron the Rev
Thinks must not rely on spell check.

Yes, everyone selected premium princess insurance when deposit was made in 2016. My parents were paid in full 60 days ago, 30 days before he had his stroke. Theirs and everyone else balance is paid in full today and we all selected Princess Premium insurance in May of 2016 when our deposits was made. My parents paid $1000 dollars in 2016 and the Balance in October of this year. All before he had his stroke.

You keep saying "selected". Did they actually "pay" for the insurance before the stroke or just add it. I am glad your Dad did. If they only selected it and paid for it this week, it may not cover a condition a month ago. They may be able to cancel and get a "future cruise credit" - just not sure if they can get their money back. Princess's insurance has given me mixed messages on pre-existing conditions/look back period for family members even if they are not on the cruise.

Most insurance companies for your father would state that your father has to be able to travel the day that you purchase insurance. So if you are buying additional insurance today for him, I doubt they will cover much.

Sorry for the details. I had a parent who was disabled and I read insurance quite well and had to understand everything about it.

You keep saying "selected". Did they actually "pay" for the insurance before the stroke or just add it.

Let me attempt to be more clear. I want to give as accurate information as possible to get as clear as possible information back.

When we ALL booked our cruise May 2016 via Princess.com there is an option to select princess premium insurance. Everyone chose this option via the Princess.com website. Everyone (but my brother) was paid in full prior to my father's stroke. By brother transferred his cruise from princess.com to a big wholesale membership store. He just last week made his final payment to the membership store. (20 days after my father's stroke). Only he paid in full after my father's stroke.

Again, everyone including my brother selected the premium travel protection via Princess.com in May 2016 as FCC and/or deposits were made. Our invoice on our payments and credits schedule show's $202.92pp was included for vacation protection. This is the same for others as well. I am very certain we are all covered should we cancel last minute.

My insurance question is related to the feasibility of my folks purchasing MedAir or additional injury protection for injuries not related to any pre-existing condition (stroke).

I hope this clarifies my position.

Thanks for the clarification. Selecting the Princess insurance option at the time of deposit does not purchase the insurance, start coverage or begin the lookback. Paying for it does. From what you have stated, everyone but your brother paid for their cruise (and thus the insurance) prior to your father’s stroke.

1. Your brother’s date of payment only becomes meaningful if he chooses to cancel due to the stroke AND he wants cash back. That will not happen. He could however, cancel and get cruise credit, without any issue. Cruise credit does have a use by date, but it’s better than nothing at all.

2. Medjet assist is not insurance, it is an evacuation plan. It does not have pre-existing condition (PEC) limits. One does have to be hospitalized and stable for transport before it can be used. It might give your family some peace of mind on the trip. Do read it’s plan before purchasing to make sure it does what you want.

3. Additional medical insurance purchased today would likely cover anything not related to the stroke, but so would the existing Princess medical insurance up to its limit. The question becomes what new condition unrelated to the stroke do you now foresee that you did not foresee before the stroke? In other words, if you are buying more insurance coverages because of the stroke, how is it going to be unrelated to the stroke? Something like a fall caused by your Dad’s partial paralysis could be deemed due to an existing condition. And different policies word this differently; some exclude a ‘worsened condition’, some exclude ‘complications from a worsened condition up to and including death’. So you need to carefully read any new policy to determine how a PEC and exclusions are defined.

4. If you do purchase additional insurance, take note of the ‘able to travel’ requirement Coral previously mentioned.

I hope that helps you make some of your decisions in a more informed manner.

I hope that helps you make some of your decisions in a more informed manner.

Wow! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I was unaware that insurance was not in effect until entire invoice amount was paid in full. I figured (ignorantly) once selected I had it as long as at some point before the cruise it became paid. Glad I never tested that theory.

Thank you all for the information.

Wow! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I was unaware that insurance was not in effect until entire invoice amount was paid in full. I figured (ignorantly) once selected I had it as long as at some point before the cruise it became paid. Glad I never tested that theory.

Thank you all for the information.

You could actually pay for Princess insurance at time of deposit (not just add it). This is why I kept asking questions if you selected it or paid for it. There is a huge difference.

Most people just select it but don't pay for it.

Thanks Cheryl for doing a better job at explaining it than I did.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to check with your father's doctor about him flying. Often that is restricted for a certain time period after a stroke. The 3 months you have will probably be plenty of time, but best to be sure.

I have never seen a lift used in an airplane and have always been told that the airline employees are NOT allowed to assist with transferring a passenger. Please double check on that too.

Can you find out what kind of lift the cruise line has available for you ahead of time so you can get familiar with it--even if it is from a YouTube video?

I would also suggest that your Dad be home from Rehab for a couple weeks before the cruise so you and your mother can get used to assisting him and work out any "bugs" you have while you still have ready help available if needed.

All that being said, if your Dad feels up to the cruise, I say "go for it" and enjoy spending time with the whole family. With all the stress you have all been under the past month, you can all use the vacation!

Sorry to throw cold water on your plans- I speak from experience, caring for someone with a stroke. We took care of my mother in law, (left side paralyzed) after she had 3 months rehab; yes, she could transfer, with assistance or someone standing by, yes, she could dress herself, with some assistance, yes, she could walk, with assistance or someone standing by- but that "assistance and standing by" is 24/7- top off the fact that a stroke, does effect the brain, so the personalities can change. Visiting in rehab- is so different than the 24/7 care- then add the stress of patient being in a strange setting or situation- I would talk very seriously with your medical professionals - and possibly if you decide to go forward with the trip- to add a professional caregiver to the trip.

This is very good advice

While it may seem we are doing the right thing, the reality may well be that taking the patient out of their comfort zone, forcing them into an unfamiliar environment, necessitating care outside capabilities, may well not be the best for the patient, or the family.

Sorry to throw cold water on your plans- I speak from experience, caring for someone with a stroke. We took care of my mother in law, (left side paralyzed) after she had 3 months rehab; yes, she could transfer, with assistance or someone standing by, yes, she could dress herself, with some assistance, yes, she could walk, with assistance or someone standing by- but that "assistance and standing by" is 24/7- top off the fact that a stroke, does effect the brain, so the personalities can change. Visiting in rehab- is so different than the 24/7 care- then add the stress of patient being in a strange setting or situation- I would talk very seriously with your medical professionals - and possibly if you decide to go forward with the trip- to add a professional caregiver to the trip.

My mom had a stroke 9 years ago (right side) and requires substantial assistance with showers, toilet, dressing, etc. My dad and I manage. She learned how to transfer but we do give her assistance due to trouble balancing. We have used the lift in the past.

My advice is to take things slow, let him get plenty of rest on the ship (plan for an afternoon nap) and watch for signs of fatigue. When my mother gets overtired, she becomes emotional and has difficulty doing tasks that she normally does with ease.

Be aware that tendering is out of the question. Everything else, with care and patience is manageable.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk