Adult Beverages available upon arriving on Liberty of the Seas

On 5/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, whatyouknowsays said:

Thank you so much for this.  I think we will cancel our package the first day.

I think you will have to cancel it before the cruise and then on second day buy it on board for the remaining days.  Keep in mind that the package price is more on board

We were amazed how quickly the staff got rid of the limited TX items and got the regular stuff out.  

Another TX oddity from a few years back (Navigator). As we were heading out of the terminal after collecting our bags, some local employees were asking about whether we had tobacco or alcohol purchases. While such purchases were exempt from Federal duty (we all know the limitations), TX imposed fees on each carton of cigarettes $1 per pack, and alcohol $ per bottle, although I forget the amount. 

I managed to to avoid it because I was making a big deal out of finding the security desk to reclaim the inch and a half mini Swiss Army knife that they confiscated when we got on board. (Interesting to note that the knives in Chops were the full sized real thing.)

1 hour ago, Diamond Dandy said:

While such purchases were exempt from Federal duty (we all know the limitations), TX imposed fees on each carton of cigarettes $1 per pack, and alcohol $ per bottle, although I forget the amount. 

About $3 per bottle. 

• 4 months later...

For some reason I was under the impression that the Texas tax per bottle was for Texas residents only. The last time we cruised out of Galveston, we bought 3 bottles and it was a little over $8. Perhaps it was the types of liquor etc. On a different note, the bottles were in the RCL supplied carboard travel container and therefore we were 'noticed' and directed to a certain customs line. Our friends on the other hand packed theirs in their luggage and wasn't directed at all. So pack them away and no one will even know. 

20 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

For some reason I was under the impression that the Texas tax per bottle was for Texas residents only. The last time we cruised out of Galveston, we bought 3 bottles and it was a little over $8. Perhaps it was the types of liquor etc. On a different note, the bottles were in the RCL supplied carboard travel container and therefore we were 'noticed' and directed to a certain customs line. Our friends on the other hand packed theirs in their luggage and wasn't directed at all. So pack them away and no one will even know. 

Everyone is “expected” to pay the tax, regardless of residency (tax also collected on tobacco). The collections is basically on the honor system however, just walk by the table (after clearing customs) and just keep walking, if you don’t offer up the fact (or have your purchase on display) you bought alcohol or tobacco they have no idea.