Summer 2019: Almost Half of the Princess Fleet in Alaska

need2cruisesoon

When we first started cruising, we'd always be the only ship in port up in Alaska. It's never that way anymore. We usually are with 5 other ships in each port now ... maybe more?? Not sure but it makes for some crowded streets in town. It's still my favorite place to cruise, though! Crowds and all ...

When we first started cruising, we'd always be the only ship in port up in Alaska. It's never that way anymore. We usually are with 5 other ships in each port now ... maybe more?? Not sure but it makes for some crowded streets in town. It's still my favorite place to cruise, though! Crowds and all ...

Plus mega ships: Royal, Bliss.....

Another non-news thread.

Go back a decade and there were always at least eight Princess ships in Alaska, and often nine. There would be three ships in Europe, and pretty much the whole rest of the fleet in Alaska (aside from any ship based year-round in Australia, which some years there was, some not).

But one would be an small R-class ship (under 700 pax), one or two a Sun class, none larger than Diamond/Sapphire--and the ship out of San Francisco was the original Regal (1600 pax).

The relevant number is passenger capacity, not number of ships. Because if the former can go up while the latter goes down, fewer turnaround days decreases Princess' costs while revenues increase. Thus the arrival of Royal Princess in Alaska in 2019.

Some of us need to take the time to ponder the relevance before posting every random thought that enters their head. Just sayin'.

Edited by fishywood

[quote=.

Some of us need to take the time to ponder the relevance before posting every random thought that enters their head. Just sayin'.

That sounds pretty snotty. I think it will be a great thread as long as people don’t act all high and mighty about what they think is “relevant” or not. If you didn’t think it was a worthy thread than maybe next time just scroll on past instead of trying to make someone feel bad about what they posted SMH. This is the season of kindness and I wish you a happy and stress free holiday season:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you didn’t think it was a worthy thread than maybe next time just scroll on past instead of trying to make someone feel bad about what they posted SMH. This is the season of kindness and I wish you a happy and stress free holiday season:-)

Its kind of hard to keep just scrolling on by when every time one logs on to Cruise Critic they find the same small sample of members have each started four, five, six or more nonsense threads in the brief interim since the last visit here. Especially when the "ignore" (sic) feature on Cruise Critic may blot out their posts on an existing thread but DOES NOT conceal all the new threads they have started.

So Bah Humbug. At least until Cruise Critic moves to an actual 21st century platform with actual teeth to its ignore feature.

Its kind of hard to keep just scrolling on by when every time one logs on to Cruise Critic they find the same small sample of members have each started four, five, six or more nonsense threads in the brief interim since the last visit here. Especially when the "ignore" (sic) feature on Cruise Critic may blot out their posts on an existing thread but DOES NOT conceal all the new threads they have started.

So Bah Humbug. At least until Cruise Critic moves to an actual 21st century platform with actual teeth to its ignore feature.

The Bah Humbug made me smile[emoji16] just please try to remember that what may be “nonsense” threads to you, may be interesting threads to others. So, the things I feel are silly....like how many pats of butter people get on their plate....I just scroll past because I know I will just get irritated by the whole discussion [emoji23] different strokes and all that Jazz. Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another non-news thread.

Just sayin'.

And another snarky response.

I’ve been a member of this community on and off for 13 years and am so disappointed in the deterioration of civility I’ve witnessed this past year. I enjoy scanning all types of posts from members, learning so much along the way.

On the whole this remains a vibrant, helpful community, but boy oh boy these types of responses suck the joy out of this site.

I can't find it (search is giving me headaches today) but someone posted a table that had what the actual passenger capacity was for the last few years and going into 2019 and even with more ships the actual passenger capacity is less.

We shall see as we are returning in August 2019.

And another snarky response.

I’ve been a member of this community on and off for 13 years and am so disappointed in the deterioration of civility I’ve witnessed this past year. I enjoy scanning all types of posts from members, learning so much along the way.

On the whole this remains a vibrant, helpful community, but boy oh boy these types of responses suck the joy out of this site.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another non-news thread.

Go back a decade and there were always at least eight Princess ships in Alaska, and often nine. There would be three ships in Europe, and pretty much the whole rest of the fleet in Alaska (aside from any ship based year-round in Australia, which some years there was, some not).

Some of us weren't cruising a decade ago so it is relevant, regardless of your opinion.