Special Food Requests

dckmusic

I'm wondering if anyone has had any special dietary requests and if Princess would provide certain things if you request it. My wife has been put on a diet that is somewhat restrictive - no refined sugar, no yeast, no dairy and no eggs. She loves her bread and makes a yeast free one at home, but she's wondering if she requested it, if they would bake a loaf or two for her while onboard that she could keep in our room. Anyone have any experience or any idea if they would do this?

I'm wondering if anyone has had any special dietary requests and if Princess would provide certain things if you request it. My wife has been put on a diet that is somewhat restrictive - no refined sugar, no yeast, no dairy and no eggs. She loves her bread and makes a yeast free one at home, but she's wondering if she requested it, if they would bake a loaf or two for her while onboard that she could keep in our room. Anyone have any experience or any idea if they would do this?

Some suggestions:

Book traditional dining your head waiter and waiters will learn what you can eat.

Speak with the maitre'd on board. The maitre'd has hours on the boarding day afternoon. The hours are posted in the Princess Patter.

Regarding the bread, doubtful you can get loaves for your cabin, but you may be able to get a supply of special rolls delivered to your cabin.

If you dine at the buffet ask the server to speak with the chef before selecting any food items that may have the restricted ingredients.

Although it may not be on the menu, plain rice can always be obtained on request.

DH has dietary restrictions that we've informed Princess about twice now. We are getting of the Royal today, and I have to say it was no better than the service he received on the Caribbean Princess in August. His problem is that most of the time he can figure out items to order that don't need to be adjusted in advance. For instance, he can order a salad without the nuts or pumpkin seeds on it without needing to give them warning the day before. On this cruise, the head waiter only had to have one special dish prepared for him--a seafood stew in which they left out the tomatoes. The head waiter stopped bringing by the menus. Most of the time, we'd get to see them--either by asking a waiter or by my just going up to the station and getting one. We were in Club Class dining, alternating between the two waiters' section depending on whether we were eating at a table for two or with others.

I would be interested as well, I am not suppose to have yeast. And I buy a frozen bread to combat that at home.

Are you sailing soon? We're sailing in a couple weeks, so I'll post back with the results we got on the Caribbean Princess. We'll talk to the headwaiter or Maitre'd when we board and see what comes.

I have major food allergies the list is 3 pages long. I know what I can eat and watch the menus closely . I can tolerated some things in small amounts like once a month with out problems. I filled out pre-cruise forms on food allergies and my last cruise I was surprised by how it was followed. Not so much in the MDR but in specialty restaurants the chef followed it very closely. I order he said no you can not have that. The Chef made sure I had a very good dinner and sent out little treats to me that I could have.

Yes they will. As others have mentioned speak to the headwaiter or Maitre'd

We always request a freshly baked Challah for dinner each evening.

36311640242_1d397737fd_z.jpgChallah

On our previous cruise with our grandchildren not only did they bring the Challah but a platter of lox, cream cheese, sliced tomatos, and sliced onions each evening.

37561151004_78789d00bc_z.jpgDinner Table

This was in addition to multiple shrimp cocktail for our table

37561240814_1ac63bb60f_z.jpg

And mussels for our two and a half year old grand daughter

26495744829_e057102b2c_z.jpgLoves Mussels

We topped all that off with a Volcano ordered off the children's menu

36311640182_b9294cd6d7_z.jpgVolcano

Bon appetite

Howard

We are travelling soon with a friend who has allergy to "Soy" . I didn't see that listed in pre cruise info. If she tells the maitre d or head waiter will they be able to assist?

Yes' date=' soy is on my list of allergies and they do a great job. Fill out the "food allergy" section of the personalizer. You can list allergies that are not in the simple check boxes.

Then you'll get a card in your cabin the first day with instructions to give it to your waiter who will make sure the head waiter comes to confirm with you and make sure meals are safe to eat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I have major food allergies the list is 3 pages long. I know what I can eat and watch the menus closely . I can tolerated some things in small amounts like once a month with out problems. I filled out pre-cruise forms on food allergies and my last cruise I was surprised by how it was followed. Not so much in the MDR but in specialty restaurants the chef followed it very closely. I order he said no you can not have that. The Chef made sure I had a very good dinner and sent out little treats to me that I could have.

This is good to hear. My list of allergies has only gotten more complicated and because of that I haven't tried a specialty restaurant. It's in the list for our next cruise.

How far in advance did you submit your allergy list to the chef in the specialty restaurant?

This is good to hear. My list of allergies has only gotten more complicated and because of that I haven't tried a specialty restaurant. It's in the list for our next cruise.

How far in advance did you submit your allergy list to the chef in the specialty restaurant?

I did it pre cruise check in and never even gave it a thought after that. When to dinner at specialty and boom first thing asked was which one of us had the food allergies. Easy for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, we're back so, as promised, I'm providing our experience with this on the Caribbean Princess. In a word, they were simply OUTSTANDING at accommodating my wife's allergies. We did anytime dining because we never know when we're going to eat based on the days activities, but we always ate breakfast and supper in the Coral dining room (except one night at the Crown Grill) and all but two days for lunch where my wife found something in the Marketplace so I could eat pizza and try the Salty Dog outlet.

The headwaiter, Antonio, met my wife the first day and had her review the menus for the next day. They'd discuss what could be done and he would take her order and any special instructions and then she would provide her cabin number at the meals and her food would come with the rest of us. This was great in and of itself, but Antonio and staff didn't stop there.

My wife loves bread (toast) for breakfast and a bun with dinner, but she has an allergy to yeast, sugar, dairy, eggs and soy (among a few other things). She has not found anywhere in our city to buy bread or buns that are free of all these ingredients, so she has made her own bread at home. She asked if it would be possible if they could treat her with a loaf or some buns once or twice during the cruise, but that wasn't good enough for Antonio. He made sure she had two warm buns at every dinner and two slices of toast at breakfast. Even when we ate supper at the Crown Grill, he made sure there were buns for her there.

But again, Antonio and the staff weren't satisfied with that. He noted the first couple of days that there were no desserts my wife could have, which we fully expected. No sugar, eggs or milk make it very challenging for dessert. But day three, Antonio brought her a special dessert prepared by the pastry chefs. And each night from then on, he had a special dessert for her. Admittedly, not all were to her liking, but we very much appreciated the efforts and she did enjoy almost all of them.

In short, the effort and lengths they went to to accomodate her food allergies was beyond our wildest expectations. Our only disappointment is that we did not have as much cash as we would have liked to provide the tip, though we did leave more than we ever have. If you have food allergies, I hope you get the same level of service we did and don't be afraid to ask.