Mediterranean Cruise: Barcelona or Rome for Embark?

cfr70

If you can add the extra day pre-cruise and return home the day of disembarkation. We arrived on Friday early and had all day Friday on our own and then the full tour on Saturday which gave us Saturday evening and night to enjoy walking around once again. This way you will be able to enjoy everything. Personally, we were happily done in by Sunday when we disembarked since we did something everyday including the two days pre-cruise.

This is actually a wonderful idea that I hadn't even thought of and makes such perfect sense. When you think about it, why break up the port stay to one pre and one post night when you can just put those 2 nights together in the beginning. I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself now lol. And you have so much time in that one block to take in a lot of sights....and nothing closed as it would be on Sunday post cruise.

This is how i'm going to plan it now, and i'm the same way about just getting home after debarkation. Once i'm off the ship, I want my own home and bed again...though Europe is not the Caribbean so I may feel different about that. :)

This is actually a wonderful idea that I hadn't even thought of and makes such perfect sense. When you think about it, why break up the port stay to one pre and one post night when you can just put those 2 nights together in the beginning. I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself now lol. And you have so much time in that one block to take in a lot of sights....and nothing closed as it would be on Sunday post cruise.

This is how i'm going to plan it now, and i'm the same way about just getting home after debarkation. Once i'm off the ship, I want my own home and bed again...though Europe is not the Caribbean so I may feel different about that. :)

Nope you are wise not stupid for throwing the question out there to get ideas! Someone gave me the idea years ago and I always figure it in our cruise plans.

There will also be one less day to pack and unpack of you go into BCN for two nights. The first day after a TA flight is always a bit marginal on energy level for sightseeing, but the second day you can really roll.

You might visit the CC ports boards for some non Rome ideas to see out of Civitavecchia for your port stop and check in on the Spain port boards for some ideas on cheaper hotels. You will definitely save money on port transfers using Barcelona as embarkation.

Out first trip to Barcelona was 5 days on a land trip, but since we’ve started cruising we haven’t gotten bored with the city in our subsequent returns precruise, and as a port stop. There are still things on my list to see there (but, the same can be said for Rome, after many visits there).

The cruise is officially RT Barcelona. So day one of the cruise is Barcelona, and day 3 (?) is Rome. You can start/end your cruise in Rome if you like, but when you embark the daily will say day 3 (or day 4, I forget).

We chose to start in Rome because we spent a few days seeing Rome pre cruise.

Just to clarify, I knew that, it’s just that another post reminded me that the OP may have been talking about cruises on other ships, where they do back to back one way trips.

I’ve done the Epic round trip 4 times, so I’m up to speed on how it works. :)

There will also be one less day to pack and unpack of you go into BCN for two nights. The first day after a TA flight is always a bit marginal on energy level for sightseeing, but the second day you can really roll.

You might visit the CC ports boards for some non Rome ideas to see out of Civitavecchia for your port stop and check in on the Spain port boards for some ideas on cheaper hotels. You will definitely save money on port transfers using Barcelona as embarkation.

Out first trip to Barcelona was 5 days on a land trip, but since we’ve started cruising we haven’t gotten bored with the city in our subsequent returns precruise, and as a port stop. There are still things on my list to see there (but, the same can be said for Rome, after many visits there).

Thanks for the port board advice. I have to seek that out as I have a couple of top hotel choices in Barcelona i'd love to get some feedback on. The more I research this trip, the more it all points to Barcelona as being the start/finish point from the cost standpoint to things to do. (Not that Rome doesn't have things to do, but since i've been there for a week already once, and it's far distance from the port & airport makes Barcelona the winner).....And, i've never been to Spain before.

Going to find that port board now. Thanks!

Just to clarify, I knew that, it’s just that another post reminded me that the OP may have been talking about cruises on other ships, where they do back to back one way trips.

I’ve done the Epic round trip 4 times, so I’m up to speed on how it works. :)

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Thanks or the clarification.

Thanks for the port board advice. I have to seek that out as I have a couple of top hotel choices in Barcelona i'd love to get some feedback on. The more I research this trip, the more it all points to Barcelona as being the start/finish point from the cost standpoint to things to do. (Not that Rome doesn't have things to do, but since i've been there for a week already once, and it's far distance from the port & airport makes Barcelona the winner).....And, i've never been to Spain before.

Going to find that port board now. Thanks!

One of the best “all in one” sources for what to do in ports and how to do it is Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Ports Guides.

Do check out on the Spain boards what is the earliest time to book a flight from BCN and see if combining your free days all pre cruise will work.

If you are considering timing, and time off work, then Barcelona has another advantage (assuming you work Monday to Friday).

As it is Sunday to Sunday, you have two weekends involved. Rome embarkation on Wednesday means that you are using the best part of two weeks holiday if you are coming from the US, once you have taken travel into account.

I would join in the suggestions to spend as much time as possible before the cruise and then fly home on the Sunday. It’s easy flying back, so you will be ready to do fairly early the following week. If you fly a couple of days early then you can spend some quality time in Barcelona before the cruise.

If you are considering timing, and time off work, then Barcelona has another advantage (assuming you work Monday to Friday).

As it is Sunday to Sunday, you have two weekends involved. Rome embarkation on Wednesday means that you are using the best part of two weeks holiday if you are coming from the US, once you have taken travel into account.

I would join in the suggestions to spend as much time as possible before the cruise and then fly home on the Sunday. It’s easy flying back, so you will be ready to do fairly early the following week. If you fly a couple of days early then you can spend some quality time in Barcelona before the cruise.

I don't know why I didn't even think of this option as it makes the most sense and I love having 2 full days together to see Barcelona over it being broken up as pre/post days as I originally planned. So the itinerary for me would be to fly out of FL on Thursday, arriving Barcelona Friday and have all day Fri and Sat to tour the city before embarking on the Epic Sunday afternoon.

Then fly home Sunday right after debarking. Works out perfectly.

[/b]

I don't know why I didn't even think of this option as it makes the most sense and I love having 2 full days together to see Barcelona over it being broken up as pre/post days as I originally planned. So the itinerary for me would be to fly out of FL on Thursday, arriving Barcelona Friday and have all day Fri and Sat to tour the city before embarking on the Epic Sunday afternoon.

Then fly home Sunday right after debarking. Works out perfectly.

Yes, sounds perfect to me. I’m quite jealous. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now i'm strongly thinking of changing everything! (I'm going crazy lol)

While browsing the shore excursions for this sailing, my head got dizzy when I got to Naples port. I had no idea there's just SO much to see and do in this area that it seems like a separate vacation in itself! How on earth can I squeeze everything into 12 hours? I'm a HUGE history/museum buff and this entire area can keep me chock full with activities for DAYS!

Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, Almafi....And the picturesque views from wherever you are! (i'm dizzy again!)

So i'm really wanting now to just fly into Rome arriving Saturday, base myself in Sorrento for 4 nights and leisurely take in all those are sights without rushing, and then Wednesday take the train up to Civitavecchia and hop on the 4 day Epic to Barcelona.

Then when arriving in Barcelona on Sunday, take 2 days there so I still get to visit Barcelona and fly home Tuesday morning.

The only thing i'd miss of the sailing by doing this would be the sea day and that's a huge "big whoop" for me lol. No loss....and the $400 in savings by changing from 7 to 4 day sailing can just go towards the 4 nights Sorrento hotel.

Am I crazy? The more I think about it, the more I seriously want to do it like this!....BTW, i'll be solo so it's only me to think about and also i'm in a Studio cabin which I never had...And while I love what I see of it, giving up 3 nights of it to have a hotel room with a balcony overlooking the Mediteranean instead doesn't make me sad at all.

Not crazy at all....we usually have a bit more time for our vacations, so I usually look for a point to point cruise that leaves ample time in the embarkation and disembarkation port.

Since you are a history buff, look for posts from Cruisemom42 in the Italy ports section. Her hobby is antiquities and she very knowledgeable on all the Italian sites. You might check out Tarquinia before boarding in Civitavecchia.

Not crazy at all....we usually have a bit more time for our vacations, so I usually look for a point to point cruise that leaves ample time in the embarkation and disembarkation port.

Since you are a history buff, look for posts from Cruisemom42 in the Italy ports section. Her hobby is antiquities and she very knowledgeable on all the Italian sites. You might check out Tarquinia before boarding in Civitavecchia.

Thanks for the Tarquinia recommendation. I never even heard of the place but after a quick search, it seems right up my alley and a perfect place to tour the day of boarding. I probably would have completely overlooked it! Will check out Cruisemom's posts over on the port section too for more information. I know i'd be kicking myself if I just allowed a mere 12 hours in the Naples port after seeing all that it has to offer.

You could consider driving down to Miami for the flight. My friend saved several hundred dollars by flying out of there vs Orlando to Barcelona.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just noticed this while flight searching that Barcelona has direct flights to Miami with no connections. I'd still have to fly out to Rome for the first leg, so not sure if i'd save much flying one way from Barcelona to Orlando, but I do like that it's a direct flight and I can just drive the 3 hours home from there rather than a connecting flight.

I don’t support your idea of a shorter cruise at all. I did the Barcelona sailing and I don’t think 4 days would really be enough to enjoy the ship. Also, I highly recommend you take it easy on the Naples stop. We tried to do one of those mega tours where they take you every which where, and although we got to all the places, most of the time was spend in the van and in traffic. Traffic is extremely heavy in all the tourist places near Naples...not because of the amount, but all the highways are one lane in each direction and super windey, so you can’t get anywhere fast... if I had to choose, I would do TWO destinations on the Naples stop max next time...sorrento and amalfi.. forget trying to fit positano and Pompeii plus all THe other stuff into the same day..

The reason they call this sailing “port intensive” isn’t so much the AMOUNT of ports, but the amount of work involved in seeing them all once you get there. I have a review of this sailing posted somewhere, but I haven’t written the portion of the review about the ports yet...I will soon, but I can answer questions if you have any.

Pretty much Florence, Naples and Citavechia all require significant travel to see any of the “good” stuff, so I recommend you pace yourself and pick one or two things per port. Only Cannes and Majorca are walk-offs. In fact, even in Cannes we walked into an Enterprise and rented a car for €19.50 and drove to Monte Carlo. It ended up being the best idea we had out of all the ports we did.

I don’t support your idea of a shorter cruise at all. I did the Barcelona sailing and I don’t think 4 days would really be enough to enjoy the ship. Also, I highly recommend you take it easy on the Naples stop. We tried to do one of those mega tours where they take you every which where, and although we got to all the places, most of the time was spend in the van and in traffic. Traffic is extremely heavy in all the tourist places near Naples...not because of the amount, but all the highways are one lane in each direction and super windey, so you can’t get anywhere fast... if I had to choose, I would do TWO destinations on the Naples stop max next time...sorrento and amalfi.. forget trying to fit positano and Pompeii plus all THe other stuff into the same day..

The reason they call this sailing “port intensive” isn’t so much the AMOUNT of ports, but the amount of work involved in seeing them all once you get there. I have a review of this sailing posted somewhere, but I haven’t written the portion of the review about the ports yet...I will soon, but I can answer questions if you have any.

Pretty much Florence, Naples and Citavechia all require significant travel to see any of the “good” stuff, so I recommend you pace yourself and pick one or two things per port. Only Cannes and Majorca are walk-offs. In fact, even in Cannes we walked into an Enterprise and rented a car for €19.50 and drove to Monte Carlo. It ended up being the best idea we had out of all the ports we did.

Thanks for the advice. If I base myself in Sorrento for 4 nights pre cruise, would that be enough time to see places like Pompeii, Almafi, Capri, Positano? I definitely DON'T want to be rushing around to see everything, so if 4 days isn't enough, then i'll drop something.

As far as 4 days not being enough to enjoy the ship, I have to respectfully disagree. I just came off the Carnival Liberty 4 day sailing and realized that 4 days is the perfect amount of time for me on a cruise ship before I get antsy and want off lol.

This is why that 4 day Rome to Barcelona is so appealing to me since I discovered it (after I had already booked the 7 day). I like that I can still get Florence/Pisa, Cannes, France, and Palma, Spain on the sailing while having 4 days to wander the entire Naples/Sorrento/Capri area.

My booking started out last week as solely cruising, but now i'm happy with it being split as 4 day land and 4 day sea. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Ya, I think 4 days is plenty to see all those areas, especially solo. There’s not that much to do in any of those places except a walkabout or day/half day tour in each. It’s a beautiful area for sure but it’s all in the same area of Italy, so it’s kind of like seeing the same thing over and over again in each town. It’s Not like going to say... Rome then Venice then Spain... the Naples/Amalfi area is visually appealing but there really isn’t that much to do as a solo... it’s more of destination for couples and romantic getaways. That is why I spending a chunk of time in a bigger city like Barcelona is better for a solo traveler as it’s easier to get around, there’s tonnes to do, and you’ll never be bored. Naples/Amalfi area’s biggest draw is for the visual appeal and/or romantic/couples’ getaways. And the amount of tourists in the area is just SO intense, that there’s very little anything “local” or authentic left.

Don’t get me wrong, I love it and recommend everyone see it if they can, just don’t expect to be really occupied by things to do or expect an exciting cultural immersion.

There is more than enough to keep someone busy in the Naples/Amalfi area for four days, particularly someone who loves history and museums.

Pompeii, Herculaneum, the National Archeology Museum to start. Add in the Amalfi coast, Capri and Naples itself. People watch in an Italian square once the day trippers have left. The issue with Naples as a port is always deciding among multiple great alternatives.

I'm currently booked for the Barcelona embark, but now i'm seeing that embarking in Rome has some advantages over Barcelona. (flights to Rome (from Florida) are cheaper than to Barcelona, and hotels in Civitavecchia are also less than in Barcelona and the town looks like a nice place to spend a day/night before cruise.)

Anybody who can share their experience with embarking from either port, with pros and cons is much appreciated. I'm now leaning towards Civitavecchia and thinking of changing my embarking to there but want to hear from others before I make the change. Thanks in advance!! :)

EDIT: I've been to Rome already so it's not a destination i'd feel i'll miss by not visiting there. Never been to Civitavecchia though.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago with another family, and we felt the itinerary from Rome was much better for us than from Barcelona. From Barcelona you have Naples, Rome and Florence one after the other - 3 very busy port days. From Rome we found it more relaxed - we had a busy day, followed by a more relaxed day. We far preferred that pace.

There is more than enough to keep someone busy in the Naples/Amalfi area for four days, particularly someone who loves history and museums.

Pompeii, Herculaneum, the National Archeology Museum to start. Add in the Amalfi coast, Capri and Naples itself. People watch in an Italian square once the day trippers have left. The issue with Naples as a port is always deciding among multiple great alternatives.

This is exactly how I view staying in the Naples region for 4 days pre cruise. Sure as marktwothousand pointed out, it's a visually appealing area and great for the couples to have romantic getaways....but heck, us solos can enjoy the pretty scenery too! :)

And just from the past 2 days of research, i'm seeing that there's so much history and museums in this region aside from the beautiful scenery to keep occupied and interested. I'm now a bit worried that 4 days ISN'T enough and a return trip would be in order.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago with another family, and we felt the itinerary from Rome was much better for us than from Barcelona. From Barcelona you have Naples, Rome and Florence one after the other - 3 very busy port days. From Rome we found it more relaxed - we had a busy day, followed by a more relaxed day. We far preferred that pace.

This was another reason I decided to just base myself in the Naples area for 4 days and hop on the ship Wednesday from Rome. It's pretty intense with those 3 ports one after the other, and having those 4 days before sailing will let me tour without rushing and looking at the clock all the time.

It's even still a lot with boarding in Rome having Florence/Pisa and then Cannes, France the following day. The whole itinerary is just a whirlwind that imo the ship is secondary so I don't mind at all cutting it to 4 days over 7. In fact, I prefer it....especially having a Studio room.

I've never had one of these small cabins before, but i'd think 7 days in it i'd go batty lol. 4 days I could much better handle. And i'd much rather have a hotel room with a balcony overlooking the Mediteranean for those 4 days instead. So to me, it's getting the best of both worlds...sailing the ship and extended land excursions.

If you like art museums the Chagall museum in Nice is top notch. Nice is an easy train ride from Cannes. Then work your way back to the old town for a stroll. On the way back, hop off the train in Antibes. Beautiful town with a pleasant Picasso museum (lesser works, but beautifully situated on the water.) I love Antibes. It’s a sweet unpretentious Riviera town.

This was another reason I decided to just base myself in the Naples area for 4 days and hop on the ship Wednesday from Rome. It's pretty intense with those 3 ports one after the other, and having those 4 days before sailing will let me tour without rushing and looking at the clock all the time.

It's even still a lot with boarding in Rome having Florence/Pisa and then Cannes, France the following day. The whole itinerary is just a whirlwind that imo the ship is secondary so I don't mind at all cutting it to 4 days over 7. In fact, I prefer it....especially having a Studio room.

I've never had one of these small cabins before, but i'd think 7 days in it i'd go batty lol. 4 days I could much better handle. And i'd much rather have a hotel room with a balcony overlooking the Mediteranean for those 4 days instead. So to me, it's getting the best of both worlds...sailing the ship and extended land excursions.

I think you have picked the best one for you ...and that is what matters ...you dont have to have a long cruise to enjoy the ship ...

I think you have picked the best one for you ...and that is what matters ...you dont have to have a long cruise to enjoy the ship ...

Thank you. The more I think about and plan this as 4 days land & 4 days on ship, the more excited I get about it. I just came off a 4 day cruise a few weeks ago and afterwards, felt it was the perfect length for me. I do love cruising, just don't need a whole 7 days to enjoy it.