Question about booking wording

oskarNZ

Hi All,

I just booked a Celebrity cruise and noticed the following on the email I received back.

“A valid driver's license, state-issued ID, proper military identification, or proper proof of fire/police employment (badge or ID) will be required for validation at the pier. If age, state of residency, military, or fire/police participation cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.”

Apart from inputting my Captains Club number, I’m about 90% sure I didn’t tick any boxes to say I was eligible for special discounts.

Is this a standard message in all confirmation emails (ie a reminder to bring a passport) or do you think it has processed something about me that it shouldn’t have.

Also should I see the Go Better perks on my booking? Currently, I can’t, not even in the email.

Unfortunately the phone lines aren’t open right now to take the more direct option of ringing.

I live in NZ if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Ring them. It sounds like you may ave ticke$ s9mething by accident.

I’ve never had such a message.

Thanks. I will ring Boxing Day.

I just did a dummy booking and the price came out the same, so I definitely haven’t received any special discounts. So hopefully all will be okay.

Thanks. I will ring Boxing Day.

I just did a dummy booking and the price came out the same, so I definitely haven’t received any special discounts. So hopefully all will be okay.

Sounds like it may be standard wording, as I said I’ve never noticed it.

Sounds like wording used on a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean.

Thanks for letting me know. It is a Caribbean cruise (14 day Southern Caribbean on Reflection), so hopefully that is all that the message means.

As indicated, the wording is with reference to any discount rate that may have been applied as a result of being 55+, your state of residency, military service, or police / fire occupation. If any of these criteria were used to issue a discount and you are asked and you cannot confirm the validity of any rate relative to those discount options, the standard rate could be applied to your booking at check in.

This is what we see with US originated bookings - not sure how this appears with non-US originated bookings. It is pretty much boiler plate language relative to receiving such discounts and is indicated on the booking screen when any of these options are selected. If you did not select any of these and no discount was applied to your booking, you have nothing to worry about.

BTW we frequently use the 55+ and state of residency (the only categories applicable to us) to see if a discount would apply and frequently it does. When we select it, the same language appears confirming that the selections we made are valid. But it should be noted that on any of our cruises where we received a related discount, we were never asked at check in to verify it.

However, if you are concerned I would contact Celebrity, or your travel agent if you used one, and discuss it with them to get confirmation on your booking rate or any discounts that may have been applied, intentionally or otherwise - especially since this was a non US originated booking.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you leaveitallbehind.

I booked direct on the AUS/NZ website and because I don’t fit any criteria that would give me a discount (at least not as far as I’m aware), I will certainly ring. I need to ask a few other questions while I’m at it.

Out of interest, is it easy to upgrade the classic non-alcohol package to the premium non-alcohol package. (The 3rd passenger/my son should be receiving the classic version as his Go Better perk). I assume upgrading is as easy as it is with alcohol packages, but I also know the dangers of assuming.

Thank you leaveitallbehind.

I booked direct on the AUS/NZ website and because I don’t fit any criteria that would give me a discount (at least not as far as I’m aware), I will certainly ring. I need to ask a few other questions while I’m at it.

Out of interest, is it easy to upgrade the classic non-alcohol package to the premium non-alcohol package. (The 3rd passenger/my son should be receiving the classic version as his Go Better perk). I assume upgrading is as easy as it is with alcohol packages, but I also know the dangers of assuming.

We don't usually select the beverage packages so I can't give confirmed direction, but you can probably upgrade on board as well as an option. But following the golden "assume" rule, I would ask this as well when you talk with them. :)