Sorrento

cfr70

(Didn't feel right continuing to hijack the Pompeii thread so i'm starting this one.)

Is Sorrento a good base for 4 days? I've never been, but do love what I see of it. However, i'm wide open for other suggestions as a base, or if it's recommended to split it up into 2 nights in different places.

This is for 1st week of November so I believe i'm right on the start of the off season. I can budget up to $150/night for hotels and having a balcony with view (sea or city) is a definite must!! :)

(Didn't feel right continuing to hijack the Pompeii thread so i'm starting this one.)

Is Sorrento a good base for 4 days? I've never been, but do love what I see of it. However, i'm wide open for other suggestions as a base, or if it's recommended to split it up into 2 nights in different places.

This is for 1st week of November so I believe i'm right on the start of the off season. I can budget up to $150/night for hotels and having a balcony with view (sea or city) is a definite must!! :)

I've used it as a base for exploring Pompeii & found it very convenient. Lots of nice restaurants after a day of full on sight seeing.

Sorrento has pros and cons...and is often used as a regional base by many tour companies (especially budget tours) because of the many hotel/motel options. Sorrento is also convenient since it has train access (the Circumvesuviania Line), bus access (SITA), and ferry service to several nearby places such as Capri, Naples and Positano.

However, some of us prefer to use other places as a base...such as Positano, Ravello, or our personal favorite of Praiano (a tiny village where we can get free parking and easy access to the sub-regional orange buses (that save us the trouble of trying to park in Positano). If you are not going to have a rental car than we do think Sorrento is a great base. But with a car you might want to explore one of the smaller (and arguably more romantic) villages.

Hank

Thanks both for the helpful advice. No rental car as i'd be completely terrified to drive in Italy lol. I'm currently looking at La Casa del'Orologio hotel (i've bookmarked SO many hotels!) and this one seems like a perfect base with a plethora of shops and restaurants right outside the doorstep with a nice balcony overlooking the square...and also well within my budget. And the Circumvesuviania Line is a mere 5 minute walk away making it perfect for getting around. So Sorrento as a base it will be with this hotel my top choice. :)

Sorrento, while not my favorite place (I find it pretty touristy), does make sense as a base when you don't plan to have a car. And if you get a hotel with a view, it's great.

What else do you plan to do during your four days besides Pompeii?

Besides Pompeii, i'd love to ferry over to Capri, tour the city of Naples (especially the National Archaeological Museum), visit Positano, and being of Italian descent with great grandparents originally from Salerno, I really want to go over there just to walk around and see the city my ancestors came from. I always wanted to do that and being so close to it, I feel I have to make that trip, even if it's only a half day.

Is all this too much to squeeze into 4 days?

Besides Pompeii, i'd love to ferry over to Capri, tour the city of Naples (especially the National Archaeological Museum), visit Positano, and being of Italian descent with great grandparents originally from Salerno, I really want to go over there just to walk around and see the city my ancestors came from. I always wanted to do that and being so close to it, I feel I have to make that trip, even if it's only a half day.

Is all this too much to squeeze into 4 days?

it's very difficult to judge based on whether you are the type to wander aimlessly for hours soaking up local atmosphere or see as much as possible

being from UK a med cruise is pretty accessible so repeat ports such as Naples we try to do something different each time therefore covering more of area

but crossing the pond being expensive you want to maximise your time

we have hired cars abroad in the past when travelling with children but don't want that hassle anymore especially Amalfi coast where windy roads and bumper to traffic especially at weekends means we prefer to rely on others to get us around

Sorrento as a destination not too exciting but means easy access via train to other ,more interesting destinations

would suggest visiting both Pompeii and Herculaneum as different cultures-ordinary people versus holiday park

it's very difficult to judge based on whether you are the type to wander aimlessly for hours soaking up local atmosphere or see as much as possible

being from UK a med cruise is pretty accessible so repeat ports such as Naples we try to do something different each time therefore covering more of area

but crossing the pond being expensive you want to maximise your time

we have hired cars abroad in the past when travelling with children but don't want that hassle anymore especially Amalfi coast where windy roads and bumper to traffic especially at weekends means we prefer to rely on others to get us around

Sorrento as a destination not too exciting but means easy access via train to other ,more interesting destinations

would suggest visiting both Pompeii and Herculaneum as different cultures-ordinary people versus holiday park

I can definitely wander aimlessly just soaking up local atmosphere. I have absolutely no plan for Capri, but to just get off the ferry and walk around. I really hate sticking to rigid plans while traveling save for a few "musts" that I want to do.

Pompeii & Herculaneum are definite top "musts" for me, as well as the National Archeological Museum in Naples. I also want to visit Salerno, but as with Capri, I have no set plans there either other than to wander around and stop at whatever interests me.

If you have time you could also take the inexpensive SITA bus to Positano. Its an interesting city....assuming you have the ability to do some walking including up and down steps and slopes.

Hank

Positano is another place I want to visit with no set plans...just get off the bus and wander around. As far as walking, I do it all the time here at home, sometimes 2 miles each way to the store and back, so any travel destination that requires lots of walking are perfect for me. I actually prefer walking over driving or public transportation.

I can definitely wander aimlessly just soaking up local atmosphere. I have absolutely no plan for Capri, but to just get off the ferry and walk around. I really hate sticking to rigid plans while traveling save for a few "musts" that I want to do.

Pompeii & Herculaneum are definite top "musts" for me, as well as the National Archeological Museum in Naples. I also want to visit Salerno, but as with Capri, I have no set plans there either other than to wander around and stop at whatever interests me.

we have friends who spent a week in area who rave About ferry trip to capri

think you are on right track with your research

we have friends who spent a week in area who rave About ferry trip to capri

think you are on right track with your research

I can easily see myself spending a whole week or more in the area and not tire as there seems to be so much to see and do. And even just walking among the picturesque scenery doing nothing else wouldn't bore me in the slightest either.

I'm looking forward to the Ferry to Capri. First week of November is off season right? So they'll still be running, just on limited hours I believe?

I'm looking forward to the Ferry to Capri. First week of November is off season right? So they'll still be running, just on limited hours I believe?

Yes, ferries will still run but there will likely be fewer crossings. I've visited Capri in November and it was lovely -- enjoy.

Yes, ferries will still run but there will likely be fewer crossings. I've visited Capri in November and it was lovely -- enjoy.

Thanks cruisemom42, and also thanks for that link to the YouTube video on Roman Architecture. I felt so intellectual sitting in on a real live Yale class and it was also pretty interesting stuff.

Without a car, Sorrento is definitely your best base.

Not as attractive as Ravello or Positano, but attractive enough, has plenty of local amenities and more importantly transportation

- by direct train to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples

- by direct ferry to Capri & Naples.

- by direct bus to Positano (tho a long walk down into town), Amalfi & other towns along the Amalfi coast. Plus bus from Amalfi to Ravello.

- by boat along the Amalfi coast (subject to season)

- by ferry along the Amalfi coast, tho I think you'd first have to get to Capri or Positano or Amalfi.

JB :)

Without a car, Sorrento is definitely your best base.

Not as attractive as Ravello or Positano, but attractive enough, has plenty of local amenities and more importantly transportation

- by direct train to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples

- by direct ferry to Capri & Naples.

- by direct bus to Positano (tho a long walk down into town), Amalfi & other towns along the Amalfi coast. Plus bus from Amalfi to Ravello.

- by boat along the Amalfi coast (subject to season)

- by ferry along the Amalfi coast, tho I think you'd first have to get to Capri or Positano or Amalfi.

JB :)

All very helpful information as I plan to utilize most of that above. Thanks very much!!