Juneau Excursion

hondo1717

Hello Fellow Princess Cruisers.

Looking for information on the best Princess Excursion in Juneau. Going in late April on the Ruby for the inside passage. Anybody recommend one from past experience or information they may have received.

Much thanks,

Google Harv and Marvs, and book a whale watching trip. Best money we spent. Ask for Captain Liz! It’s awesome. We rented a car and checked out Mendenhall glacier as well. Great pics of bears fishing etc. H@M is not princess sponsored but it’s much more personalized than crowding on a bus and boat with 50 others. We would do it again in a minute.

It’s impossible to get lost! One main road north. Our favorite cruise hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Fellow Princess Cruisers.

Looking for information on the best Princess Excursion in Juneau. Going in late April on the Ruby for the inside passage. Anybody recommend one from past experience or information they may have received.

Much thanks,

Go watching watching on a small boat. You get to be up close,and personal with the whales, orcas, eagles, etc.

If you haven’t been there before, I think the excursion to Mendenhall Glacier is a must see....make sure it includes the visitors center there.

Many of their tours to the glacier are combined with another attraction. We especially liked the one combined with the salmon hatchery.

Whale watching is also popular here and a great tour. There are a lot of great opportunities for seeing whales in Alaska outside of Juneau so if there is something else you really want to see, don’t feel as though you’ve missed your only chance for seeing whales in the wild.

You can go whale watching anywhere so from Juneau get the ship's shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and walk at least to the Waterfall. The paths are all paved and if you're lucky a few bears might wander across your path. But don't worry the rangers are there to keep you well away and the bears safe :D

On your return to Juneau a beer at the Red Dog Saloon is a must. It's one of those pubs that have become an institution. I believe one of the most loved Princess Cruise Directors, Sami Baker, was the Manager there in a previous life.

April is still early in the season for whale watching...we did Mothers day 2015 and even then got to see very very little compared to the end of May. Mendenhall Glacier early in the season has been awesome!! You can usually get much closer before the water starts its creep up the shoreline. If you do try ....look to take the path to the water falls.

We lived in Juneau for 8 years back in the 80s. The glacier is great, also if you have access to a car try driving "out the road" to the far East end. It's magnificent, just watch for bears. Fishing is fantastic! Also, Gold Basin in town was pretty cool from what I remember and the salmon bake if they still have it. Douglas Island is a great drive also.

We are doing the Summer Dog Sledding Camp. Checked it out on You Tube and it looked great. That is if you like dogs. Be careful of the excursion to Mendenhall glacier provided by Princess. From what I understand it is not far from the ship and you may end up paying a lot more then you want.

I would LOVE to do the Tracy Arm excursion, if possible on your itinerary, which rejoins the ship at Juneau.

I believe that his can be booked on your own thru Adventure Bound.

However, as mentioned, April might be just too early... Not sure if they operate that early. And, if so, while it would be spectacular, I think that there is no real chance that one could get close enough to see/experience the glacier.

We went Whale Watching.

We booked another operator, and not Harv and Marv... But would probably book with H&M if booking again today.

While one of the more costly excursions, the sea plane flight over several glaciers to the Taku Lodge for a good meal.

I second that. Perfectly handled from beginning to end, amazing views, great meal at a beautiful spot with hot and cold running bears. Worth every penny.

I second that. Perfectly handled from beginning to end, amazing views, great meal at a beautiful spot with hot and cold running bears. Worth every penny.

I have to third that...flight over the Juneau glacier field to the salmon feast at the Taku lodge was fantastic. The bears appear on cue. You can go whale watching elsewhere, this is the best excursion we have ever done from Juneau and we have done quote a fea.