Book Recommendations

Butterbean1000

I like some of the books from the "Chicken Soup for The ______ Soul' series. There are many to choose from. Unlike reading a novel, you can read a few of the stories, put the book down, come back to it later and read a bit more, without having to follow the story in a novel.

Another question on this is if you are looking for a physical book, or plan on using a tablet/e-reader.

I agree that "light" reading is very subjective. I read a lot, and most of the books I read are series where the average book length is about 800 pages. So light for me would be under 600 pages and a single story or just a trilogy instead of a 6+ book series.

Also genre you are interested in would be helpful. Romance, Drama, Mystery, Crime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comedy, Non-Fiction?

While they are series, I would suggest The Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson if you are interested in a Fantasy/Mystery type book. Or the Dresden Files by Butcher which is a Fantasy/Mystery/Crime/Comedy type series. Both were really easy reads for me, but then YMMV depending on how much you read.

Or if you like movies, don't shy away from YA (Young Adult) books! The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner books are nice reads also IMO and are a "lighter" read than some other books.

I like a wide variety of books. When I say light, I mean no murder mysteries, no heavy historical stories, no gothic. I dont like fantasies. No sappy romance .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

While that narrows it down quite a bit it might still be easier to say what you do like.......

The books by J Maarten Troost are travel logs. They are well written, intelligent with a little history thrown in, and extremely entertaining and funny. I have found myself actually laughing out loud while reading them. You can read snippets online if you go to Barnes & Noble web page or the "Look Inside" link on Amazon. You should start with the first one though. In your local B&N, they are in the travel section, not the humor section.

Laurie Notaro and Celia Rivenbark books are also good light reading, from the humor section of the bookstore.

The books by J Maarten Troost are travel logs. They are well written, intelligent with a little history thrown in, and extremely entertaining and funny. I have found myself actually laughing out loud while reading them. You can read snippets online if you go to Barnes & Noble web page or the "Look Inside" link on Amazon. You should start with the first one though. In your local B&N, they are in the travel section, not the humor section.

Laurie Notaro and Celia Rivenbark books are also good light reading, from the humor section of the bookstore.

Thank you. I'll look those. I guess "beach reads" Is about as close as i can come to describe what I'm looking for. But no big deal. I'm sure I'll find something.

I like a wide variety of books. When I say light, I mean no murder mysteries, no heavy historical stories, no gothic. I dont like fantasies. No sappy romance .

Her Royal Spyness (Rhys Bowen) - cozy mystery of a very distant Royal cousin who tries to make it on her own in London but stumbles into a mystery to save her brother

Patient Zero (John Maberry) - unrealistic but fun zombie/cop action

Tilt a Whirl (Chris Grabenstein) - cop buddy story in a Jersey seaside town, but done in a fun and light-weight style.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - best if you didn't like Pride and Prejudice, actually

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Mary Roach) - sounds gross and it is entirely non-fiction, but Roach writes with such humour and spirit that it's a terrific story.

I Am Malala (Malala Yousafzai) - autobiography of this amazing young woman that is about more than just her brave stand and tragic injury.

The Elements of Eloquence (Mark Forsythe) - non-fiction about style tricks to improve writing, but it's done with great humour that it's just plain funny and interesting