Passport requirements for domestic (australian) cruise

Becstar101

Hi all,

I'm due to sail with my family on a Princess cruise in late January from Adelaide to Melbourne in Australia, which I believe is a section of a longer Melbourne to Melbourne return.

I was finally completing our booking information tonight and ID documents were requested. I've put in our passport details as requested, but noticed some fine print down the bottom specifying that passports need to be valid for six months after completion of travel. Two of the four passports do not meet this requirement.

When booking with the travel agents, the specified requirements for domestic cruises was listed merely as photo ID. I assume that being a cruise that originates and visits only Australian ports that immigration matters don't apply, so I'm not sure why the passport is required to be valid for such a long time.

I'll be contacting our travel agents as soon as they open and ask for clarification, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience on ID requirements on princess domestic cruises, particularly within Australia. I really don't want to have to apply for urgent processing of two passports.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and please be gentle - it's my first time posting!

Hi all,

I'm due to sail with my family on a Princess cruise in late January from Adelaide to Melbourne in Australia, which I believe is a section of a longer Melbourne to Melbourne return.

I was finally completing our booking information tonight and ID documents were requested. I've put in our passport details as requested, but noticed some fine print down the bottom specifying that passports need to be valid for six months after completion of travel. Two of the four passports do not meet this requirement.

When booking with the travel agents, the specified requirements for domestic cruises was listed merely as photo ID. I assume that being a cruise that originates and visits only Australian ports that immigration matters don't apply, so I'm not sure why the passport is required to be valid for such a long time.

I'll be contacting our travel agents as soon as they open and ask for clarification, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience on ID requirements on princess domestic cruises, particularly within Australia. I really don't want to have to apply for urgent processing of two passports.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and please be gentle - it's my first time posting!

Current Driver's Licence with photo ID or Proof-Of-Age Card-which I have as due to Legal Blindness I can never get a Driver's Licence will do. I used the Proof-Of-Age card when I sailed the Golden Princess in November 2016, and IIRC a Medicare Card is sufficient for children under 18. Get the Proof-Of-Age Card from the Motor Registration or whatever it's called in your state, there is a cost IIRC mine was under $30 last year, about 14 months ago.

HTH and Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by crochetcruise
Adding information.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Crochetcruise' information is correct. You do not need a passport for Australian domestic cruises. Although you did not ask about children, they can cruise using only the family Medicare card as ID.

The original information given to you is incorrect on another matter - Australia does NOT require that passports have an extra six month's validity. Some countries have this requirement, but not Australia. The passport can be used right up until the expiration date. I recently had this confirmed for my daughter who is presently in NZ, travelling on a passport that expires in February.

Hi all,

I had the same problem on my recent round Tassie cruise so I know first hand you will be fine. My kids passports had expired but when I rang Princess they said the Medicare card was fine for the 17 year old, and the expired passport was fine for the 20 year old. In fact Princess said they would accept expired passports up to 5 years old. I was still nervous when I got to the port but the check in person didn't blink an eye.It was all fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Trish