Pacific Jewel is at Norfolk Island today....New Years Eve!!!!

Norfolk relies on tourism to sustain their lifestyle & I know they look forward to arrivals by visitors by air or sea. On any given week there could be 1000+ visitors, compared to a resident population of around 1,500. Some of my friends there are directly involved in tourism & they will be able to arrange the best shore excursions possible. It will be all hands on deck for the day - that's the Norfolk way.

Of course, maybe 6-8 hours ashore at best, is not long enough to truly discover all that Norfolk has to offer, but being a very compact location (just 5 miles x 3 miles), it is better situated in this regard than many cruise ship destinations.

We have had 21 days on Norfolk over 3 trips, and we still find new things to explore, as I'm sure we will again in May.

Watawieh.

Norfolk relies on tourism to sustain their lifestyle & I know they look forward to arrivals by visitors by air or sea. On any given week there could be 1000+ visitors, compared to a resident population of around 1,500. Some of my friends there are directly involved in tourism & they will be able to arrange the best shore excursions possible. It will be all hands on deck for the day - that's the Norfolk way.

Of course, maybe 6-8 hours ashore at best, is not long enough to truly discover all that Norfolk has to offer, but being a very compact location (just 5 miles x 3 miles), it is better situated in this regard than many cruise ship destinations.

We have had 21 days on Norfolk over 3 trips, and we still find new things to explore, as I'm sure we will again in May.

Watawieh.

We only got there once before Mrs Gut had to stop flying. A truly relaxing week. Thought very seriously about moving there for a few years, before the same issue put a stop to those plans too.

Thanks Mr Walker, Maybe I will go there after all, but I will fly there rather than cruise.

You definitely should. It really is a gorgeous place - and I certainly didn't run out of things to do over 8 full days.

You can get really good package deals that include airfare, accom, car hire and a heap of tours and dinner events for less than the price of a 2 week cruise.

Every local has at least 3 strings to their bow - their day job and then their tourism jobs. Even the kids are involved in re-enactments etc. Keeping the history going. While some things are a tad cheesey - ie the dress like a convict dinner is a bit 70s Benny Hill for me and the murder mystery dinner same - I still saw it as a means for the locals to provide entertainment and gain employment so I was happy to support it. The museums are top notch and the many lookout points around the entire island are a photographers dream. And its a mini foodie paradise with so much home grown and home made produce.

And no litter, graffiti, crime etc - what more could any human need ?

• 2 weeks later...