(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

everyone has different cruise experience and i am sure yoursis great to share with everyone as well. Sometimes more isn’t good as people might just want something simple andnot have to wade through 1,500+ posts to find it. I’m sure your info will be helpfulto other cruisers.

Thanks for showing the pictures of the movie theatre. Haven't been in one of those in umpteen years. Those spaced-out recliners with tables are pretty fancy! And walking space even when people are stretched out! Amazing! No more lap jumping, butt viewing, and popcorn spilling! I need to go on vacation so I can go to a movie!

But why are they showing you Starz? (With the lights on?) Please tell me that's a preview, and they don't charge you movie theatre prices to watch cable. Cheapo dad can watch cable at home, for free! See? Your readers know your life!

PS: I absolutely LOVED the engineer who analyzed your threads on a comparison graph! That's a classic!

DAY 1 – December 21, 2017

I couldn’t sleep last night. Maybe the whole red eye flight and subsequent nap threw my body clock out of whack or I was too excited about the vacation but I woke up before 5 and never was able to get back to sleep.

For me, the best day of the cruise is day 1 so most likely I will devote a disproportionate amount of time talking about it. I always liked day 1 because the anticipation of sailing on a new ship for us (we have yet to do a sailing on the previously sailed ship). It’s like Christmas day to unwrap a present and then the rest of the cruise is actually using the gift but the opening part is day 1 for me.

So we had another hotel breakfast. Not bad deal in paying for 1 night hotel and get to eat 2 breakfasts. Good value at $122 when you add in the airport transportation. I believe they have cruise port drop off rates you can book directly with the hotel but I typically like to book my own.

Last cruise we booked South Florida shuttle with good results so this time I re-booked with them. I know people like Uber and taxi but for a big group of 8 with tons of luggage, I don’t like to deal with 2 vehicles. For the larger group, the charge was $7 per person – cheaper than most hotel charges for Port Everglades drop off. They then add on $10 for private van but then give me back a $12 discount just because they love me for being me (or so I like to think).

I like to arrive at port early. I rather wait in port than wait at the hotel. So I requested a 9:45 AM shuttle pick up. Now you will ask why 9:45 and not 10? What’s the big difference? That’s because many hotels have 10 AM Port Everglades shuttle to port. I don’t want my shuttle to be mixed up with theirs as well as trying to be just slightly in front of them. Always try to stay ahead of the crowd.

Now remember, cheapo is not Diamond or any of the higher hoity toity levels. I’m just lowly gold or as I call it “peasant plus one”. Forget about staying in suites – not happening. So my priority level to get on the ship comes way behind everyone else. If you are in suites or higher level, than you can go to port later. We peasants and peasant plus one people need to get our buns moving earlier – not as if we have anything to do at the hotel anyway.

Speaking of hotel, here is the song to start the morning (well, at least it’s morning for me). Classic song from my younger days:

enhance

enhance

So after breakfast at 8:45, I placed a call into South Florida shuttle to make sure I am still on their pick up list. The dispatcher said my driver is in my neighborhood area and can pick me up early if I wanted to. Eh? I want to go early but not THIS early. 9 AM? Don’t think so. I just said let’s stick with the original time.

Less than 10 minutes after the call, my driver called me from his cell phone asking if I am ready soon as he is just around the corner. Dang. I guess I am his first customer of the day so he wants to get me out of the way to pick up other people on his list. Ok, I guess we are going to port early.

Sure enough, before 9:30 the dude is already parked outside the hotel waiting for us. Oh, yeah, make sure you have your luggage tags for your suitcases. Ask the front desk at hotel when you check out to borrow their stapler to secure the tags to the luggage.

This picture as time dated at 9:31 AM of the driver loading our luggage onto the van.

As this was a weekday, there weren’t too many ships in port. The sign technically says Crystal is in port but per cruise tt, they weren’t scheduled to come in until later in the night. We only saw Princess in port.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I had always thought the Indy & Freedom uses terminal 29 but someone from our roll call found in the Port Everglades web site few days before sailing that we were using the bigger terminal 18 reserved for the Oasis class ships. Woo hoo. I like terminal 18 more compared to 29 as it’s bigger and has nicer seating area. But I knew when we came back, it would be at terminal 29 as we came back on a Saturday and terminal 18 reverts back to the Oasis class ship.

I never did find out what happened to passengers that parked their cars at terminal 18 to embark the ship, how do they get back their when they stepped off the ship the following week at 29? I assume there would be a bus shuttle to move people over?

It is always exciting to see “your ship” in person the first time. After unloading the van, we gave the luggage to the porters (make sure to tip them).

enhance

enhance

What a glorious butt:

enhance

enhance

Well now I want some Jack Daniels Chicken.

Maybe I need to have disclaimer that looking at various food pictures might make some people hungry. Read these posts on full stomach.

Speaking of which, where do most people view these posts? Phones? Tablets? PC? I have found that the same picture looks different when it's viewed from PC with wide monitor compared to cell phone in Tapatalk.

On PC, the food pictures in landscape have lots more details than on cell phone. But the portrait pictures taken on the phone does not look as good on the wider PC monitors with lots of blank borders.

I'm sure most people don't care but for me these pictures are like little piggies I take to the market. I want each one to look its best. So anyone gets a chance, compare the two different views.

Thanks for showing the pictures of the movie theatre. Haven't been in one of those in umpteen years. Those spaced-out recliners with tables are pretty fancy! And walking space even when people are stretched out! Amazing! No more lap jumping, butt viewing, and popcorn spilling! I need to go on vacation so I can go to a movie!

But why are they showing you Starz? (With the lights on?) Please tell me that's a preview, and they don't charge you movie theatre prices to watch cable. Cheapo dad can watch cable at home, for free! See? Your readers know your life!

PS: I absolutely LOVED the engineer who analyzed your threads on a comparison graph! That's a classic!

Yeah, these new theaters are great for movie viewing now. You pick the exact seat you want like in sporting events so it's very customized.

Super comfy to watch a movie. Highly recommended.

These were just preview ads prior to movie starting as we were the first family to show up for show. I wanted to take my pictures early in case other people show up and sits near us, my cell phone's bright light wouldn't bother them.

Hi, Ken,

Aren’t you in Florida now getting ready to sail tomorrow? We froze our butts off on Saturday morning in Miami after coming back from the heat in the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise.

24553607567_08fe000dee_b.jpg

Saved your review until I arrived home to the -25c weather (at -40 degrees it is the same in F as it is in C....damn cold)

It was a little chilly on Saturday and Sunday, Monday wasn’t bad but the cruise was cold and the seas were rough. CocoCay cancelled, pool decks closed BUT it was still better than being stuck in the frozen tundra.

Now on to reading about a trip that had nice weather.:)

OK, so we are at the pier at 9:49 (Per time stamp from the cell phone photo. No, I’m not that anal to remember to the minute as when we arrived. Not a professional review, remember?). So you would think we are early and would be among the first 10 people in line. Right? Ha, think again. As in all things in life, there will always be people ahead of you in line.

Anyway, so let’s just stand in line and do what everyone else is doing – look down at our phones. Have you thought about what people used to do 20 years ago before ages of cell phones? They used to talk to each other in line. Nah, that’s old school. Nobody talks anymore when all they need to do is text each other saying “OK. LOL.” And tossing in few emojis here and there all day long.

We never board the ship with anything other than backpacks. No rollers or carryon luggage. That way it’s easy to go from deck to deck as we explore the ship after lunch before access to the cabins.

enhance

Around 10AM, they opened the doors for security screening and then we just walked up straight to an available worker. By 10:18, we were all done and checking out the lanyard area. As we all already have our own lanyard, we didn’t buy anything and took escalator upstairs.

This is where you are separated by “classes” based on how much you have cruised with Royal in the past. As peasant +1 (gold level) cruiser, we were directed to our section. The guy running our section must have been a drill sergeant in his other job as he was stern and loud in barking orders. We were instructed in a stern voice “take a seat next to the man with the black cap”. Do not pass go and collect $200. Yes, sir! So that makes us the second group in the gold section.

As it turns out, the location was excellent in taking a direct end zone shot of terminal 18. Seldom get to see this view. I think I might have even uploaded this picture into my previous trip report as I tend to overlap each other.

enhance

enhance

I like this picture as it gives me bokeh and the to "infinity and beyond" rows of chairs. Sure, go ahead and psycho analyze me, see if I care...

enhance

Oh, forgot to mention that they gave us a 2 page abbreviated schedule. Personally I have always advocated for a full 4 page day 1 schedule when you get your sea pass.

39516291602_78fc2c8a61_o.jpg

enhance

Later in, Brandon from our roll call recognized my mug shot from previous trip report and he came by to introduce himself and his family to us. As luck would have it, I would end up seeing them many times the rest of the cruise.

Just as we are there chilling and looking at our shoe laces, someone came by with a notice saying they need to do more cleaning of the ship and cabins to zap the Noro virus. The boarding has been pushed back to 12 noon and cabins won’t be available until 3 PM. Oh yeah, guess if there’s any good reason to board late, this would be it.

enhance

Well, there’s nothing else to do other than texting people back home and taking more pictures from the area. It’s around 8 AM back home with people getting ready for work on a weekday so not like anyone is eager to talk to me about my vacation being delayed.

As we arrived to the terminal too early, the “welcome aboard” ship photographers haven’t even gotten off the ship yet so the hundreds of the us that got there early never got the on board pictures taken. In looking at the number of pictures displayed afterward, that is probably the fewest I have seen. More they were on the ship helping to clean the Noro. Don’t know.

Since we are more or less stuck here for a while, you guys are stuck looking at the same perspective, with just slight variation.

enhance

enhance

enhance

I forgot to drop these 2 in the previous post, so it'll be here instead:

enhance

enhance

At around 11:40, we started to see some folks from the hoity toity class started to move to the center area to start boarding the ship. So I know we would soon follow.

Then the drill Sargent came over to our section and say, “When I give you the word, this first row will stand up and follow me, but do not stand up now”. Then goes over to another section (I think those are the newbies?) to tell them to sit down until instructed otherwise as people in those groups started to stand when the platinum group started to stand and walk toward the boarding area.

So we sat some more until told to stand up and in the order we arrived, I follow the guy in the black cap to have our picture taken for the sea pass as they were all having problems with taking pictures at the check in sections. No problem. Process was fast enough. We were done exactly at 12 noon.

enhance

At 12:02, we started to walk the plank/gangway. Happiness and excitement builds. Of course, the exact opposite feeling will occur on disembarkation of the ship but that’s way down the line.

enhance

First sign of Noro protocol in place – there is a dude standing there ready to squirt Purell on everyone as they walk up the gangway. Say hello to the welcoming person. Start the washy washy routine now. Can't board without washy washy.

enhance

enhance

Now this next move was pleasantly surprising – free champagne for all adults boarding. Never had that on Royal ships before. Only on Celebrity. Wonder why? Is it due to the holiday sailing or their way to make up for delayed boarding/later access to cabins? Don’t know. If anyone else that sailed during the past holidays has received free champagne upon boarding, please chime in so I can establish some sort of reason.

These guys were surprised I wanted to take a picture of them.

enhance

enhance

Never pass up free booze, even if it's before lunch

enhance

I knew windjammer would be very crowded quickly with a whole slew of people coming after us. That’s what happens when the boarding gets delayed. Instead of boarding by 11, now it’s one hour later and that meant each class in front of us had 1 hour’s worth of people so we had to hurry. The Disney dad in me took over with the rush of adrenaline and we made a bee line to windjammer.

Note to first time newbie on Royal ship, the windjammer is accessed via the aft set of elevators. So when you get off the gangway, make sure you identify which side is aft and go directly there and do not pass go to collect $200. Get in any aft elevator and go to windjammer.

Made it to windjammer and secured a table for 8. Don’t scoff. Big tables during holiday sailings are hard to come by. Couple pictures of the aft windjammer area. There are few smaller tables but don’t see the big tables available. Would get even more crowded soon.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Brought my drink up as I didn’t have time to drink it down stairs.

enhance

More empty tables at other side sections of windjammers but they would soon be filled.

enhance

I was happy to see salt and pepper shakers as per the previous cruise with the Noro protocol, people were posting on CC saying they can’t have access to salt and pepper shakers as those can be Noro carrying vessels. So by seeing these at our table, it made me feel relived that we may not have to go through the same rigorous Noro protocol as they did.

Then at the serving areas, everyone was allow to serve themselves. Another good sign as that also was not permitted on the previous cruise. Another good sign. Yeah! Funny how one gets happy over the dumbest stupid thing, no?

enhance

enhance

Saved your review until I arrived home to the -25c weather (at -40 degrees it is the same in F as it is in C....damn cold)

It was a little chilly on Saturday and Sunday, Monday wasn’t bad but the cruise was cold and the seas were rough. CocoCay cancelled, pool decks closed BUT it was still better than being stuck in the frozen tundra.

Now on to reading about a trip that had nice weather.:)

Sorry to hear about your less than ideal weather. We were lucky on our cruise. Low 80's from start to end of day 9 on sea. Day 10 coming back to Miami was cold.

I usually read on my iPad, I wouldn’t even try to see your great photos on my phone, that would be a waste. I like a well organized waiting area, especially when there’s someone managing it.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I just don't upload all the bad ones where I took pictures of the bus floor...;p

I read the forum on my cell phone when I am away from home. It's OK. The portrait pictures looks nicer on the phone than the landscape food shots. Just pointing out that I noticed the difference.

At around 11:40, we started to see some folks from the hoity toity class started to move to the center area to start boarding the ship. So I know we would soon follow.

Then the drill Sargent came over to our section and say, “When I give you the word, this first row will stand up and follow me, but do not stand up now”. Then goes over to another section (I think those are the newbies?) to tell them to sit down until instructed otherwise as people in those groups started to stand when the platinum group started to stand and walk toward the boarding area.

So we sat some more until told to stand up and in the order we arrived, I follow the guy in the black cap to have our picture taken for the sea pass as they were all having problems with taking pictures at the check in sections. No problem. Process was fast enough. We were done exactly at 12 noon.

enhance

At 12:02, we started to walk the plank/gangway. Happiness and excitement builds. Of course, the exact opposite feeling will occur on disembarkation of the ship but that’s way down the line.

enhance

First sign of Noro protocol in place – there is a dude standing there ready to squirt Purell on everyone as they walk up the gangway. Say hello to the welcoming person. Start the washy washy routine now. Can't board without washy washy.

enhance

enhance

enjoying here is an important video:

Yes. I am also a Gemini. June 11. :)

Signed,

The photo thief :D

Totally with you, June 17! Great report...

Very cool.

Does that mean both of you will write a new trip report today?

For those who are unfamiliar with astrology, take a look at this web site's 21 traits and see if anyone think some of these fits with my online personality? I am bias on self evaluation so others can chime in on which of the 21 traits fits me?

https://zodiacfire.com/gemini-personality/

Very cool.

Does that mean both of you will write a new trip report today?

For those who are unfamiliar with astrology, take a look at this web site's 21 traits and see if anyone think some of these fits with my online personality? I am bias on self evaluation so others can chime in on which of the 21 traits fits me?

https://zodiacfire.com/gemini-personality/

11. Gemini is a supportive and encouraging friend. ;p:D