Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

I am so glad that cruise critic is back online. I really missed it.  :classic_wacko: . . . maybe a little too much.  

We will land in Rome 2 weeks from today.  I am beyond excited.  Our little group of 4 is trying to put together the last details of the trip.

One question I have not found an answer to is recharging of my various electronics. The last 3 of our TAs we stayed a shorter time and just turned most of them off while in Europe.  Did you buy an electricity converter? Or did you only need an adapter?   I am not worried about a hair dryer or a curling iron. If the hotel does not have a hair dryer I could get by without. 

I have researched this and I think I have some answers.  However, I want to get some first hand experience before I fry an expensive device.

I have read that laptops and most mobile phones/kindles/tablets only need an adapter.  In fact, I read on the HP site that a converter may cause a problems.  

My phone charger says it uses 100v to 240 volts.  So, that should allow me to take pics and upload them to my Shutterfly account.  The writing on my kindle recharger and the laptop brick are so small that even with a 3x magnifying glass I can not read it. :classic_blush:

So I have come to the experts for advice. 

PS--I have an HP Pavillion X360 laptop that converts to a tablet [if that makes a difference]

I have always used a converter and an adapter, no matter where I have traveled the world over.  I take nothing to chance and don't want anything fried.  Never had a problem!  Make sure you have the correct adapters--check the shape/number of plugs.  Easy to check online for whatever country you are visiting.  Enjoy your trip!

OK--Thanks for the advice on the electronics.  We now have adapters to plug in our devices that are dual current and we will do without the others until we get on the ship.

Can I get more advice.  TIA

On our first full day in Rome we will travel from the FCO Hilton to our hotel in the city.  We have arranged a private transfer with Civitavecchia Cabs for 55 euro at 9 am. I saw on Google maps it says it is 37 minutes to the Piazza della Rotonda [hotel].  I have read 45 minutes a couple of places.  . . . But, I wasn't sure if that really meant an hour or more under normal conditions. 

The only reason this is important is our visit to the Colosseum.  We plan to drop off luggage since it will be too early to check in and take a taxi to the Colosseum/Forum/Pallantine Hill complex.  We figure we can leave the hotel around 10:15 am or so.  There is a taxi stand on the square at the Pantheon.  We assume there is a taxi there all the time. Google Maps says it is 3k and 10 mins to the complex. So we should be there around 10:45 ish.

We plan to purchase timed tickets today for the Colosseum with the audio visual [I-pod touch] guides.  We would like your input on times. 

Our plan is to enter at the Pallantine Hill entrance and walk from there down hill to the forum.  I noticed there is a direct path that enters the form near the Arch of Titus.  I do not think we are up for walking to the top to see the museum and the Imperial Palace. Will we see anything on this route?  Or are we wasting our time doing this if we do not climb the hill to the Palace?

Then we will tour the Forum on our own using the signage and a Rick Steve's guide we are downloading.  Is 1 hr and 45 minutes enough time to do this. [I know we could spend hours here--but, not all in our group would be interested]  . . . I ask because the times available for Colosseum tickets at 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30.  I would prefer the 12:30 time.  We would need to go to the security at 12 to do that.  If we take one of the other times we would need to find a lunch place before the forum.  If we do the earlier time we would go back to the hotel near Pantheon for lunch and a rest before we do some touring in that area later that afternoon. 

Do you think my timeline would work.  We are trying to do see as much of possible. . . but, not be crazy about it.  We have a more relaxed schedule for the next 2 days,

I would give extra time getting into Rome.  One never knows the traffic from the airport! I would also go for the 1:30 time for the Colosseum, so you are not rushing and panicking if you are running late.  Enjoy your trip! Rome is a gorgeous city!!!

There are great restaurants around the Pantheon!!!  Pick up some focaccia or a small sandwich from that area at a snack area to take with you if someone needs a snack.  I cannot visualize the area around the Pallantine Hill area, but when you get to the Colosseum there are small shops and snack areas right by the entrance to the subway at the Colosseum.  The subway is easy to use as well, if you are considering it to get around, as well as some of the local buses on the major routes.  We have used them quite a bit!!

One more idea....download an offline Google map of Rome before you go.  I do this all the time!  You can use this map in taxis, too.  Be careful of "the long way around" when getting a taxi in Rome.  I've lived in Italy and it has happened to me.

• Thanks 1

OK--we made a mistake.  It was bound to happen.  So, I need some more advice.  My internet was down [live in a very rural area].  One of travel partners purchased our Colosseum tickets for 1:30. [I was on the phone with her]  She clicked on the English version of the site with no problem.  However, when she clicked the purchase button it switched to Italian and she did not see how to get it back to English.  She was able to fill in all of the correct field with a little trial sand error. When she got to the delivery method for the tickets she thought they read pick up at ticket office and mail to home.  So after some thought by the two of us she clicked pick up at the ticket office.  

After reading the voucher sent to us we see that it really said Print at Home.  So, this would mean we have to wait in the long line to get our tickets or is there a line for pre-purchased tickets.  

Or if we go to the Pallantine Hill entrance around 10:45 will there be much of a line in early November. Not asking anyone to looking into a crystal ball--just an opinion. 

It won't be the last mistake we make. If you travel things happen. Make the best of them; 🙂

If you pick the "pick up at the ticket office" they do not send you the ticket to print. It is a receipt with a confirmation number on it. . . . There is lots of strong language on the bottom of the email about all sales final and not getting a refund, etc.  So, we are a little hesitant to contact them to see if we can change the delivery method. At this point we want to quit while we are behind. 

Sorry about the spelling error. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
addition

On 10/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Our plan is to enter at the Pallantine Hill entrance and walk from there down hill to the forum.  I noticed there is a direct path that enters the form near the Arch of Titus.  I do not think we are up for walking to the top to see the museum and the Imperial Palace. Will we see anything on this route?  Or are we wasting our time doing this if we do not climb the hill to the Palace?

Then we will tour the Forum on our own using the signage and a Rick Steve's guide we are downloading.  Is 1 hr and 45 minutes enough time to do this. [I know we could spend hours here--but, not all in our group would be interested]  . . . I ask because the times available for Colosseum tickets at 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30.  I would prefer the 12:30 time.  We would need to go to the security at 12 to do that.  If we take one of the other times we would need to find a lunch place before the forum.  If we do the earlier time we would go back to the hotel near Pantheon for lunch and a rest before we do some touring in that area later that afternoon. 

Do you think my timeline would work.  We are trying to do see as much of possible. . . but, not be crazy about it.  We have a more relaxed schedule for the next 2 days,

If you aren't interested in walking up Palatine Hill to the top (there are great views of the Circus Maximus up there, by the way) then I'd just take the shortest path to the Forum.

There is a food cart right near the Palatine Hill entrance -- at least there has been one there on my previous two visits. You could get something there and carry with you until you're ready to stop and eat, if you want. Be warned, it's purely convenience food and is priced accordingly.

Thanks Cruisemom!  If I can convince the guys to walk up the hill I will--because I would be interested. 

However, we will likely take the direct path to the Forum. It is good to hear there is the food cart.  That would give us more time to tour the Palantine Hill and Forum before the colosseum. We are warned that it is pricey.

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

Dragon I hope you will post a review when you return....I am finally under the one year mark and am looking forward to learning more from your trip!!  Safe travels and enjoy!

Actually, I am thinking of doing a live review of our pre-cruise visit to Rome.  That way if I do not know an answer I can find out. I hope the internet at the hotel is reliable.

We leave for Rome on an overnight flight in 2 days. Wow!  It felt great to type that. 

These are our plans at this point.  We are not so firm that they can not change.  However, we have found it is always best to have a plan A and thought about some plan B options. Also, there are many sites near our hotel that we will fill in as we have time.  We will try to have dinner in a different area each night. 

Arrive Thursday November 1, 2018—approximately 12:40pm

• ·        After customs we will check in to the FCO Hilton and drop luggage

• ·        Then we will take a taxi to Ostia Antica [8  € pp]

Friday November 2, 2018

• ·        9:00 am--Transfer to Albergo del Senato Hotel on Piazza Della Rotonda; Civitavecchia Cab Service Private transfer [55 € for 4 passengers + luggage]

• ·        Drop off luggage & taxi to Colosseum, Forum and Palantine Hill

• ·        Pre-purchased tickets to Colosseum, etc [20 € pp]

• ·        Return to hotel for a rest

• ·        Visit sites in immediate area; Pantheon and/or Santa Maria Sopra Minerva

Saturday November 3,2018

• ·        Taxi to Vatican for 10 am tour

• ·        Pre-purchased Vatican Museum and St Peter’s Basilica 3 hr tour [38 € pp]

• ·        Lunch by St Anne’s Gate –FYI many restaurants near Vatican have poor reviews on TripAdvisor

• ·        Return to hotel for rest

• ·        Visit sites near the hotel: Santa Maria Maddalena [church]; San Crispino del Pantheon [gelato]; Largo Argentina [oldest ruins]

Sunday November 4, 2018

• ·        Walk to Relais Trevi 95 Hotel near Trevi Fountain to meet tour [approx.10 minutes]

• ·        Rome Golf Cart Tour  9:30AM 4 hour tour, organized by member of roll call on Cruise Critic [55 € pp] meet at hotel near Trevi Fountain

• ·        Find a place near Trevi fountain for lunch when tour ends. . . or on the way to Spanish steps

• ·        Walk to Spanish Steps ~10 minute walk. May be included in the tour. Elevator in the metro station that goes to the top of steps. [may be on tour]

• ·        Either taxi/walk back to hotel for rest or visit Victor Emanuel Monument and/or Imperial Forums.

Monday November 5, 2018

• ·        Last sites before we leave Rome: Walk the first part of Rick Steve’s “Heart of Rome walk.” Pantheon to Camp di Fiori  .5 miles” Pass Madama Palace [1400’s Medici]--Italy’s Senate building; Piazza Navano w/ fountains, Four Rivers by Bernini is most famous; Pasquino statue—a talking statue-people post signs, strikes and use it as a billboard:  Piazza Farnese—fountain uses tubs from Baths of Caracalla and fed from ancient aqueduct; Campo di Fiori--Market, fruit and veggie stalls and lots of souvenirs—only open in the AM, Statue of Bruno  [there are a couple more interesting churches near the Pantheon if we are still interested in those]

• ·        10:45am --Private transfer to ship from hotel [149 for 4 passengers + luggage]

Very detailed and well planned itinerary!  Do remember to stop and have a coffee at an outside cafe and "take in Rome" all around you!  Half of the experience is watching folks and observing Rome!  As to restaurants near St. Ann's Gate, yes, there are many tourist places, but I have had some lovely meals further down the streets from the gate.  There is a hotel, either Atlante Star or its sister hotel nearby, that has a rooftop terrace for drinks and/or dinner.  It is about 4 or 5 blocks from the Vatican, towards the Castle.  Great views of the Vatican from that place!  Check out its website!

47 minutes ago, Mtngirl2 said:

Very detailed and well planned itinerary!  Do remember to stop and have a coffee at an outside cafe and "take in Rome" all around you!  Half of the experience is watching folks and observing Rome!  As to restaurants near St. Ann's Gate, yes, there are many tourist places, but I have had some lovely meals further down the streets from the gate.  There is a hotel, either Atlante Star or its sister hotel nearby, that has a rooftop terrace for drinks and/or dinner.  It is about 4 or 5 blocks from the Vatican, towards the Castle.  Great views of the Vatican from that place!  Check out its website!

Thank you Mtngirl-- We plan to stop and smell the roses.  In fact, our hotel has a nice roof top lounge.  However, that lounge. . .  and most others I have checked close by November.  We still plan to go to the roof top area of our hotel to take in the views at various times of day.  We will just have to bring our own wine glass. :classic_biggrin:

We would have planned to visit the Castle --but, it closes at 2 pm the day we are at the Vatican. 

What a great thread, thanks to all for the excellent information.   We too fly into Rome for our cruise November 2019.  We’ve been to Rome a few times so trying to decide where to stay.  I like the idea of the Hilton and the country side tour/transportation to port.   Thanks again😊

17 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Actually, I am thinking of doing a live review of our pre-cruise visit to Rome.  That way if I do not know an answer I can find out. I hope the internet at the hotel is reliable.

I will be looking forward to it!!

• Like 1

Picking a hotel is an important decision.  There have been a couple of issues from some on our roll call. 

We have had  several people on the roll call for this cruise get emails from their hotels that they are overbooked and moving them to another hotel.  It has sent worries through al of us.

The largest group was booked at a hotel in Civitavecchia. This is a copy of the post on our roll call:

"Those of you staying at the San Giorgio Hotel ....beware!  Our travel group (5 out of 6 rooms) just received emails from the hotel cancelling our reservation.  They have offered to refund our money or we can accept sub-par accommodations at another hotel of their choosing.  At this late date, we really have no options.😡" 

Each couple booked their own room separately--not as a group.  So, this represents several individual cancelled reservations. There are several others staying at this hotel that did not get bounced. I do not know if this is a one time situation or a pattern. 

Here is the other one that is in Rome: 

"we were at a small place near San Pietro Train station, called 5 rooms" They had reserved for 2 rooms for 2 nights. 

We received an email from our hotel welcoming us 2 weeks ago. So, I have my fingers crossed all is well. We are booked for 3 nights.  I will continue to update this if there are any other issues.

OK--here is another post from someone on our roll call [Magicat] with more details:

"We had also booked the San Giorgio and had our room cancelled on Friday for our cruise that leaves on November 5.  We had booked directly with the hotel on November 12,2017 .   We were  advised by San Girogio they could move us to another hotel that was currently offering rooms for 48 Euro  and we had paid 119 Euro for our room at San Giorgio.   We were advised that we would not get a refund for the difference - great way for a hotel to make extra money.   We cancelled our booking with them and just booked direct with the hotel.  

Just be aware of this hotel and its practices."