Do Viking Ocean ships have laundry facilities or services?

travelmum

How does everyone transport their clothes to and from the laundry area? I have a nice folding tote to bring dirty laundry, but I don't want to put it back in same bag when clean. (not as much for sanitary reasons but for folding and keeping wrinkles to a minimum)

Should I bring hangers to laundry. Are there enough hangers? (are there EVER enough hangers?) Should I bring some disposable dry cleaner hangers?

How does everyone transport their clothes to and from the laundry area? I have a nice folding tote to bring dirty laundry, but I don't want to put it back in same bag when clean. (not as much for sanitary reasons but for folding and keeping wrinkles to a minimum)

Should I bring hangers to laundry. Are there enough hangers? (are there EVER enough hangers?) Should I bring some disposable dry cleaner hangers?

I bring a lingerie bag or two for the washing machine and use it/them to transport stuff to the laundry room. I send out shirts and pants leaving me with smaller items to deal with (and mostly things that I will air-dry). BTW, a lingerie bag is a must for smaller items (and especially stockings, which Viking warns should not go in the washer); the lingerie bag not only makes it easier to keep track of small items but makes them easier to get out of the dryer, as everything seems to creep to the back of the dryer.

Hangers are not supplied in the laundry room. You may ask for as many addition hangers as you wish from your steward. They are varnished wooden hangers and are available in plain or clip. I bring a bunch of all metal skirt hangers for drying the wet hand laundry and some clothespins so I can hang more stuff on the clothesline in the shower.

• 1 month later...

I brought three plastic hangers for my clothes to air dry on the clothes line in the shower. Just ask your cabin steward to bring more hangers if you need them We did and got more.

For short cruises and minimal hanging clothes, we use their wooden hangers. Ask the cabin steward early for extra if you need them. For longer cruises/more hanging clothes, we take wire hangers. They take up less space in the closet and my wife says she can hang more that way. They don't weight much in luggage on the way there and can be discarded for more space/weigh on the way back.:p

Edited by Wants to cruise
spelling

For short cruises and minimal hanging clothes, we use their wooden hangers. Ask the cabin steward early for extra if you need them. For longer cruises/more hanging clothes, we take wire hangers. They take up less space in the closet and my wife says she can hang more that way. They don't weight much in luggage on the way there and can be discarded for more space/weigh on the way back.:p

As my gift from Viking I chose a pack of 3 handled bags that each compress themselves into very small packets (~3" long by ~2" (or less) diameter) . Very lightweight. I load laundry into them (as many as required) to carry to the laundry and back. The handles and flat bottoms work very well. All our clothes are folded, something I do using the ironing board in the laundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Great graphic!  Which ship are you on --and are you having a good time??

The control panels are not the same on all of the ships, although the icons may be similar.

BTW, if you are doing a very small load and unless it is jeans, choose delicate.

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

Great! On the the Jupiter the icons are the same , but no words . I felt like I was in IKEA 

That's what I felt like the first time I encountered the washers & dryers on the Star (2016) and then the Sky (2018)-- standing there making educated guesses as to what the icons meant. And hoping I got it right.  Great conversation icebreaker!  When we were on the Sky, I got to know a fellow passenger (never met before in my life) discussing the mysteries of those icons. She had been there a while.  In addition to sharing what she'd learned about the icons, had also been keeping track of the status of each of the washers & dryers and shared that with each of us as we entered.  When she left the room, I took over her role with passengers who came in afterwards.  Fond memory for sure!

Anyway - love the addition of text to go with the icons. Helps alot!

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I found the photo of the washer icons on Cruisecritic and then added text boxes to help them make sense.  I was on the Bermuda cruise in July and couldn’t see the icons well enough because of my bifocals.  I’m going on the Sky Mediterranean Antiquities October 20 and will need to do laundry again. Now I am looking for a photo of the dryer icons!

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 3:03 PM, Gibsontravels said:

I found the photo of the washer icons on Cruisecritic and then added text boxes to help them make sense.  I was on the Bermuda cruise in July and couldn’t see the icons well enough because of my bifocals.  I’m going on the Sky Mediterranean Antiquities October 20 and will need to do laundry again. Now I am looking for a photo of the dryer icons!

Oh.. drat!  So the washer/dryers are still just icons -- no text? You found a picture and added explantory text to it? Very good by the way ... fooled me totally.   Would love to see your text augmented picture of the dryer icons so when we board the Sky next May -- I will be able to take advantage of your fine work with both the washers and dryers so I don't have to stand there in front of those machines, tapping my lower lip in thought trying to decide .. "now what does that mean???"

😄

actually -- there was a post Peregrina made a while ago that included pictures of the washer and dryer on the Star (I think)..

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, CharTrav said:

Oh.. drat!  So the washer/dryers are still just icons -- no text? You found a picture and added explantory text to it? Very good by the way ... fooled me totally.   Would love to see your text augmented picture of the dryer icons so when we board the Sky next May -- I will be able to take advantage of your fine work with both the washers and dryers so I don't have to stand there in front of those machines, tapping my lower lip in thought trying to decide .. "now what does that mean???"

😄

actually -- there was a post Peregrina made a while ago that included pictures of the washer and dryer on the Star (I think)..

Thanks for all the help finding a photo of the dryer!  I couldn’t figure out one of the icons, so I put a question mark there. The person using the machine in the photo selected a high Heat timed setting and then set it for 79 minutes…isn’t that a little bit long?

I hope you all have a wonderful time on your next Viking cruise. I dream about my next one in October every day. 

13DA8D44-F8B4-4120-8E4D-91893CDBB843.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

Thanks for all the help finding a photo of the dryer!  I couldn’t figure out one of the icons, so I put a question mark there. The person using the machine in the photo selected a high Heat timed setting and then set it for 79 minutes…isn’t that a little bit long?

For the washer settings, the icons with the question mark is the water temperature, so I would think it would indicate the temperature of the air (low, medium, high) , but you already have heat level for the next set of icons.  That icon does look like a temperature bulb, so heat would make sense.  But it doesn't make sense to have two settings for temperature.  

14 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

I forgot to say thanks for figuring out the icons!

I agree that those icons seem to mean the same thing.  I guess I will have to wait until I get on Viking Sky in October in Athens to figure it out. I read that one ship has good instructions for the laundry printed out in the laundry room, but I can’t remember which one. I want to spend as little time as possible in the laundry room and also get my laundry out as soon as possible to let someone else use the machines. I pack light so I would hate to ruin my clothes in a washer or dryer.

6 minutes ago, Gibsontravels said:

I agree that those icons seem to mean the same thing.  I guess I will have to wait until I get on Viking Sky in October in Athens to figure it out. I read that one ship has good instructions for the laundry printed out in the laundry room, but I can’t remember which one. I want to spend as little time as possible in the laundry room and also get my laundry out as soon as possible to let someone else use the machines. I pack light so I would hate to ruin my clothes in a washer or dryer.

Your descriptions will go a long way towards a faster laundry trip.  Most of my clothes use delicate/low heat settings, so I'll choose the all of the cooler/delicate options to be sure.

In the separate thread Peregrina linked to, there was a now-defunct link to a document on the Speed Queen website.  However, I looked at other Speed Queen dryer models and found that another model is laid out much the same way ... but actually uses words rather than just symbols!  So, going back and forth between the two, I think the correct interpretation is as follows:

The row next to the thermometer symbol is Temperature.  The choices are:  No Heat, Low Heat and High Heat.

The row with the wavy line symbol is Dryness.  Sadly, I can't figure out if more wavy lines means more dry or more damp.

The bottom row isn't a button for making a selection, but rather a status indicator.  The symbols appear to indicate Wet, Damp and Dry, in that order.

On the far right, the 3 indicator/Status lights from top to bottom mean:

* Door Open

* Heating

* Cooling

Below is the link I'm using, if anyone wants to check my interpretation:  https://speedqueen.com/au/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2019/05/ADEE9R-ADGE9R-BLACK-USER-GUIDE-ADEE9RGS435AW01.pdf

I think I found another model that's a little closer to the Viking one, except for the 2nd row from the top - the photo I found says "Manual" but Viking's 2nd row seems to be a timed instead of automatic cycle.  The 3 buttons are regular, permanent press, and delicate.  I'll add the photo but don't know how to add/change the text.

Speed-Queen-AFNE9BAW01ADGE8BGASL-Dryer-Control-Panel.thumb.jpeg.a6ac134b6e8e25460e20c0fd306050c4.jpeg

Sorry - the photo isn't very clear, but the 3 rows at the bottom are:

Temp - No heat, Low, High

Dryness - Damp, Near Dry, Dry

Moisture Level - Sensing, Wet, Dry

I think Eggtuary is correct about Moisture Level being a status indicator rather then something that's selectable.