Where to buy rum runners locally?

Rufftackle

Your math ain’t very good. Rum runners can save several hundred dollars on a cruise.

Not to mention that, if cleaned out properly (and not found/confiscated at any point), they can be used over, and over, and over again! :D

Hi there!

Just booked a cruise last minute. Went to restock on rum runners (lost a few in the last few years) and didn’t have enough time to order them from the “original” website. The ones I checked on Amazon last night wouldn’t arrive until Monday, which is when the cruise leaves.

Has anyone found luck finding a 32oz Water collapseable flask at their local sporting goods store? I imagine this could be used as a rum runner.

Way past your cruise date. But for next time we have gotten them at Bevmo and Total Wine, both located in Alexandria.

Mmmmm. He's willing to buy rum runners plus pay $40 for overnight delivery to smuggle booze, but not willing to spend that money to buy drinks on board like an honest person? What is wrong with this picture?

Because $40 is not even one day drink package.

So do the math. :D

I was kinda thinking the same thing - add the cost of the rum runners plus the overnight delivery charge plus the booze to fill them divided by the number of drinks to be had v the cost of those same drinks on board probably isn't worth the difference. But anything to get over on the cruise lines I guess.........:rolleyes:

It depends on what you put in them. :D

On last cruise, even though I had a drink package, and had some good whisky in a rum runner for the cabin.

The ships do not have the whisky I tend to drink. And if they did, it would be VERY expensive (it is not cheap for me).

A friend used rum runners to bring on liquor, just because they said he could not, and he wanted to see if he could. And he was Mormon. :D

I would love to see a rum runner bag burst at the check in counter.

Then make the wearer clean up the mess.

Sandra

I had a bottle of cognac break in my checked bag.

My clothes smelled LOVELY. :D

I would love to see a rum runner bag burst at the check in counter.

Then make the wearer clean up the mess.

Sandra

You zip-lock bag the rum runner, wrap that bag in a towel, and insert it the whole thing in a second zip-lock bag. I use those super thick bags moving companies give you to put your desk stuff when your company moves. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but I haven't lost one yet.

Besides, it wouldn't happen at the check in counter - those in your checked bags with the porters. Oh, and you fill your rum-runners in the hotel the night before embarkation, not before you fly to the port (that would just be nuts, although I have packed wine bottles the same way and flown with them).

I have flown many times with rum runners filled. I just fill them and toss them in my suitcase.

Do not overfill them. I leave some space, and squeeze out most of the air before tightening the cap.

I carry one or two on longer international trips. For a wee dram in the evening.

We use them, for a combination of reducing (not eliminating) our bar bill, having the convenience of drinks in our cabin / on our balcony without having to go get them, the selection, and drink strength we like. If it was just a day or few long trip (vs. a week or more long cruise) and/or the cruise line charged a more reasonable rate for drinks (like less than half, more in line with a cheap bar than big city fancy restaurant prices), we wouldn't bother bringing our own.

I just can't see paying the ~$800 for drink packages for us for a week, even for a once a year cruise, as that is nearly half the cruise cost. And when paying per drink, even if I tell myself not to worry about the cost, I still do, which limits how much I'll purchase. Therefore I don't think we'd actually buy a significantly higher number of drinks if we didn't sneak booze on. We usually have a bar bill of 2 or 3 hundred dollars (our duty free alcohol bill is usually higher).

We'll have our drinks in our room and take a full glass when we leave for dinner and between activities on sea day afternoons and such, but buy drinks at other times when already out and about. We've brought rum runners on every cruise without issue, no leaks or getting caught. If you follow their directions, put them in a ziplock to be extra safe, pack them in a bag without anything that is likely to get flagged (like toiletries, non alcoholic beverages), and split them between multiple bags if possible, I think the risk of getting caught is low. Worst case they take it. I can deal.

I like adult beverages as much as anyone but there is no amount of savings that will reduce me to smuggling alcohol on board like some pimply-faced teenager attempting to sneak a flask of lemon gin past the chaperons at a high school dance. Seriously, have some self respect.

I use rum runners on cruises because they are very sturdy, never had one leak or break, and they collapse down as emptied so take up little room in my backpack. The backpack benefit is important because I use them as refillable water bottles (to take on excursions, for example) - not for booze - because I try and avoid single use plastic. I have stainless steel bottles at home but they aren't as convenient for travelling as they don't collapse down when empty.

I use the cabin tap water and add crystal lite or similar for flavour so they do save me money over buying bottled/canned water/sodas, but it's mostly the not-single-use aspect I want.

So, altho' the OP probably was thinking about booze, rum runners have plenty of non-booze benefits that are legit.

I use rum runners on cruises because they are very sturdy, never had one leak or break, and they collapse down as emptied so take up little room in my backpack. The backpack benefit is important because I use them as refillable water bottles (to take on excursions, for example) - not for booze - because I try and avoid single use plastic. I have stainless steel bottles at home but they aren't as convenient for travelling as they don't collapse down when empty.

I use the cabin tap water and add crystal lite or similar for flavour so they do save me money over buying bottled/canned water/sodas, but it's mostly the not-single-use aspect I want.

So, altho' the OP probably was thinking about booze, rum runners have plenty of non-booze benefits that are legit.

I get it. Like a CamelBak hydration pack. What a good idea.