MDR - Casual vs Evening Chic Nights

clj7181

I am on my 1st Celebrity Cruise on January 27th on the Equinox and my 2nd ever cruise (1st was on Carnival). I decided to use some of my OBC to get the 3 meal specialty dining package and booked my 1st meal for the 2nd night of a 7-day cruise - meaning it is Evening Chic Night. Besides the dress code (plenty of posts on this and I plan on dressing up regardless of where I eat) is there a difference in the food/experience in the MDR on evening chic nights vs casual nights? Just curious so I know if I should keep my reservation for night 2 or try and move it to night 1. Thanks!

I am on my 1st Celebrity Cruise on January 27th on the Equinox and my 2nd ever cruise (1st was on Carnival). I decided to use some of my OBC to get the 3 meal specialty dining package and booked my 1st meal for the 2nd night of a 7-day cruise - meaning it is Evening Chic Night. Besides the dress code (plenty of posts on this and I plan on dressing up regardless of where I eat) is there a difference in the food/experience in the MDR on evening chic nights vs casual nights? Just curious so I know if I should keep my reservation for night 2 or try and move it to night 1. Thanks!

The menu in the MDR tends to be more upscale on evening chic nights. Usually the second evening chic night is the one with lobster. Those nights there are usually the best choices, lamb, duck, prime rib, better steaks etc. We usually try to do our specialty dining on nights other than the evening chic nights for that reason.

We just returned from a Christmas cruise on the Equinox. Although I saw a few couples in the MDR in formal wear on evening chic nights, (women in evening gowns and a few men in tuxedos), I’d say 65% wore evening chic cocktail dresses for women and suits and ties or khakis and blazers with and without ties for the men. I was surprised to see others (25%-30%) dressed in casual wear. Golf shirts, Hawaiian shirts, collarless tops and jeans for men, women in casual pants and tops, jeans, capris and sun dresses. Although casual attire is discouraged on evening chic nights in the daily program, pretty much anything is permitted. I didn’t see anyone turned away. On other evenings in the MDR, some were dressed very casually...young girls in cut off jeans, men in sandals, men and women in flip flops, etc.

I was comfortable wearing dresses all week, dresses I’ve worn to weddings on the 2 evening chic nights and fun, colorful summery dresses that could be dresses up or dressed down the rest of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once on board you can ask which nights are chic and ask to see the MDR menu for those nights. Then you can make your decision regarding when to use your specialty dining package and ask to change your first or second night reservation to a different evening.

I made reservations at Murano in advance of our cruise. Once on board I discovered that the one channel on our TV listed the menus for the entire week. When I discovered that my reservation was the same night as the 2nd Evening Chic night in the MDR, (also the night that Lobster was included on the menu), I was able to switch my reservation at Murano to a different night. And also make a reservation at our preferred select dining time in the MDR for the 2nd Evening Chic night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I moved our ADR to night 1 and then plan on doing the other 2 of our 3-meal package to night 3/7 which our are sea days (I will make those 1st thing when we get on board) and 2/6 should be evening chic, so we will eat in the MDR those nights.

• 2 weeks later...
I would not worry too much about lobster in the MDR. About the size of a 16 count shrimp and certainly not good. Of course the lobster in Murano is not a much better. But what do you expect for $50 pp.

Couldn't disagree more, especially with the second part!

I would not worry too much about lobster in the MDR. About the size of a 16 count shrimp and certainly not good. Of course the lobster in Murano is not a much better. But what do you expect for $50 pp.

I've always gotten pretty decent lobster on Celebrity. They are a bit on the small side but you can ask for two tails (I always do). The lobster I got in Blu last cruise was right up there with the best I've ever had. The only time I had better was at the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the table side lobster at Murano as they often over cook it. It is tasty though. It's a nice show but I'd rather just have a properly cooked tail.