First time flying to Miami from Newark, NJ

kba1988

I was wondering if anyone knows what is a "reasonable" fare to pay for a 3-hour non-stop flight for me & hubby, from Newark, NJ to Miami,FL. Right now I'm getting flights that vary from $700 for both of us, to $900 for both of us. This seems a bit steep to me.

We are sailing MSC Seaside in May. Would I have better luck waiting a few more weeks/months to get a better price??:confused::confused:

I was wondering if anyone knows what is a "reasonable" fare to pay for a 3-hour non-stop flight for me & hubby, from Newark, NJ to Miami,FL. Right now I'm getting flights that vary from $700 for both of us, to $900 for both of us. This seems a bit steep to me.

We are sailing MSC Seaside in May. Would I have better luck waiting a few more weeks/months to get a better price??:confused::confused:

High fares do not surprise me out of Newark. Last year I took a Fall Colors cruise that departed from Bayonne. It was cheaper for me to fly from Miami into LGA and take a car service to the hotel I was staying at for the night before the cruise than to fly into Newark.

I would certainly look into a round trip tickets from LGA. The car service that I used was Blacklane.

Hope this helps.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're in Morris county, NJ...Philadelphia is waaayyyy to far away. I'm thinking JFK in New York, but really feel safer simply flying out of my home state. Perhaps I should wait closer to sail date in May? But then the fear is that the price will skyrocket even more. Don't even know when is the best time for deals and sales ....

My first thought was that your return flight being over Memorial Day weekend could account for the high rates.

But the difference in price if you fly to FLL instead of MIA is significant. Basic economy on United for $175 R/T, standard economy on United or Jet Blue just over $200. And if you arrive early enough to take a shared shuttle the transfer cost from FLL is no more than from MIA though you certainly have saved more than enough to reserve a private car.

My first thought was that your return flight being over Memorial Day weekend could account for the high rates.

But the difference in price if you fly to FLL instead of MIA is significant. Basic economy on United for $175 R/T, standard economy on United or Jet Blue just over $200. And if you arrive early enough to take a shared shuttle the transfer cost from FLL is no more than from MIA though you certainly have saved more than enough to reserve a private car.

OMG!! You are right on the button!! I can get to FLL for $408 for the both of us!! This is one of the reasons I love this forum....the information you get from everyone is PRICELESS. Gonna go ahead and fly from Newark to FLL.

How long of a shuttle ride is it from FLL to Miami? Our overnite hotel stay is at the Hyatt Regency Miami. should we anticipate minutes, or hours??

Thanks again for the tip @fishywood !!!

OMG!! You are right on the button!! I can get to FLL for $408 for the both of us!! This is one of the reasons I love this forum....the information you get from everyone is PRICELESS. Gonna go ahead and fly from Newark to FLL.

How long of a shuttle ride is it from FLL to Miami? Our overnite hotel stay is at the Hyatt Regency Miami. should we anticipate minutes, or hours??

Thanks again for the tip @fishywood !!!

Travel time would depend on time of day and if you are in a private car or shared service like SuperShuttle but unless something unusual happens you are not talking hours. I’m guessing that the Hyatt you are staying at is the downtown location. The drive the FLL is all highway and the Hyatt is located at the downtown exit.

Patti

It's a 40 minute drive from FLL to the Hyatt without traffic and that's driving yourself and not taking a shuttle. The Hyatt is right off of 95 at the 2C exit with can get backed up depending on the time of day or if the Bridge over the River is up.

If its just you and your husband take an Uber. $35.00 or so from FLL to Downtown Miami. Unless you are arriving in the morning rush hour. 7am-9:30am the ride should be around 45-mins. Much quicker and easy than a shuttle. Don't take a taxi though. That would be $90+.

I would suggest head to Downtown and not stay in Lauderdale. Lauderdale is great, but why not experience Miami. Lots of great options for things to do in the evening.

And yes, I was going to suggest look at flights to FLL & MIA and the other NYC airports. MIA/FLL-NYC is one of the busiest routes in the U.S. I think #2 or #3. There are tons of options. I prefer JetBlue given they charge the least and you get the most. No ridiculous basic economy and all that nonsense. You pay for what you get. JetBlue also has the most legroom and best entertainment options.

Travel time would depend on time of day and if you are in a private car or shared service like SuperShuttle but unless something unusual happens you are not talking hours. I’m guessing that the Hyatt you are staying at is the downtown location. The drive the FLL is all highway and the Hyatt is located at the downtown exit.

Patti

I took an UBER from downtown Miami to FLL, recently it was around $25.00. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its just you and your husband take an Uber. $35.00 or so from FLL to Downtown Miami. Unless you are arriving in the morning rush hour. 7am-9:30am the ride should be around 45-mins. Much quicker and easy than a shuttle. Don't take a taxi though. That would be $90+.

I would suggest head to Downtown and not stay in Lauderdale. Lauderdale is great, but why not experience Miami. Lots of great options for things to do in the evening.

And yes, I was going to suggest look at flights to FLL & MIA and the other NYC airports. MIA/FLL-NYC is one of the busiest routes in the U.S. I think #2 or #3. There are tons of options. I prefer JetBlue given they charge the least and you get the most. No ridiculous basic economy and all that nonsense. You pay for what you get. JetBlue also has the most legroom and best entertainment options.

I can’t speak to JetBlue as I am a Delta loyalist but I definitely agree with coming to Miami, especially if you are only talking about one night. From your hotel, it is an easy walk to Bayside which granted is a tourist spot but has restaurants and an easy walk over the Brickell bridge to the new Brickell City Center that has excellent restaurants, shopping & movie theater. Also, you are just a short Uber ride to Coconut Grove.

If possible, I would give myself 2 days in Miami.

Patti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing. Thanks for all these helpful replies. I like the idea of flying into FLL and then perhaps an uber to downtown miami. Although we are arriving later in the day - after 5:00pm - we will still be able to enjoy some Miami Friday nite life, before sailing the next day.

CC'ers are awesome!!! :*:*

Amazing. Thanks for all these helpful replies. I like the idea of flying into FLL and then perhaps an uber to downtown miami. Although we are arriving later in the day - after 5:00pm - we will still be able to enjoy some Miami Friday nite life, before sailing the next day.

CC'ers are awesome!!! :*:*

Yes, even 10:00pm is not too late for dinner in Miami.