ESTA transit to another country question

Costas_33

Hi Guys

Does anyone know how I should answer this question on the ESTA application. We'll be travelling from the UK to New York to pick-up our Caribbean Cruise. But I don't know if that's classed as in transit or not.

This is the application question:

IS YOUR TRAVEL TO THE US OCCURRING IN TRANSIT TO ANOTHER COUNTRY?

My first thought was we are in transit as we are only passing through, although we will be arriving two days before our cruise departs. So I'm simply not sure, If I answer yes to the Transit question we may be refused entry potentially!

Anyones previous knowledge on this would be appreciated.

No, it´s not a transit. Transit would require that you stay in the security (or transit) area of the airport and leave to another country by plane. But even when you board the ship on the day of your arrival you go through immigration and customs and leave the airport and step on US soil.

steamboats

Well looking again at this, and as there is no requirement to add any travel dates, I'm not sure how long the ESTA is valid for. I read you should apply prior to paying for flights etc. If the ETSA was valid for 90 days (I actually have no idea how long it is valid for). then presumably I need to be sure I apply when I'm within the 90 day window of my return from the US. Getting confused now:o

Thank you MrsTabs very helpful, I must have missed that information, but on checking I can't actually see that mentioned anywhere, but happy to accept your advice. I'm not even 100% certain that applying for the ETSA means I don't need to apply for a full visa at all. I contacted my travel agent who wouldn't answer questions of Visa requirements! (Thank you Virgin).

I'm also from the UK and have just got my ESTA - you do not need an additional visa

this is from the website

if you go to the bottom of their page ( where you apply) there is a section that answers any questions you may have

Thank you MrsTabs very helpful, I must have missed that information, but on checking I can't actually see that mentioned anywhere, but happy to accept your advice. I'm not even 100% certain that applying for the ETSA means I don't need to apply for a full visa at all. I contacted my travel agent who wouldn't answer questions of Visa requirements! (Thank you Virgin).

Yes, the ESTA is valid for two years - and in the past I believe that I have actually received an autoreply type e-mail whenever my ESTA was getting close to expiring date. And ESTA is for nationalities that do not require visa for shorter stays (eg. most - if not all? - Western European nationalities). And just in case you didn't know it - the best/cheapest way to apply for an US ESTA is on the website for cbp.gov (if you just do a regular Google search, you might end up at some other agencies who also offer ESTA applications, but to a much higher price).

ESTA is required for the VISA Waiver Program - meaning you don´t need a visa ;-).

ESTA is valid for 2 years (as long as you still have the same passport!).

You don´t need any travel data or address when you apply for it (anyway, you are asked to add that information). But you are not required to update any travel data for another trip.

Anyway, ESTA does not guarantee an entry to the US. It´s still up to the officer at immigration. But if you don´t have ESTA - which is checked ahead of departure of your flight - you won´t be able to board your plane. All passenger data has to be sent to the US authorities prior to the departure of each flight. And they can say no to the airline. I had watched this at the airport once when a father with two sons wanted to fly to the US. The sons were ok but his name was on some kind of black list. The flight was delayed and finally they could solve the problem. It´s just been the same name on that list.

steamboats

• 6 years later...

Hi thanks for any advice in advance.  I am from the UK cruising from Barbados going to a few islands including Purto Rico and San Juan and leaving the USA straight after the cruise (flying out that afternoon).  My Q is I know I have to apply for an ESTA but do I need a transit Esta or not.  As at least one of the islands is a USA territory.  Thanks  Bill

5 hours ago, madhatterh said:

Hi thanks for any advice in advance.  I am from the UK cruising from Barbados going to a few islands including Purto Rico and San Juan and leaving the USA straight after the cruise (flying out that afternoon).  My Q is I know I have to apply for an ESTA but do I need a transit Esta or not.  As at least one of the islands is a USA territory.  Thanks  Bill

May I suggest that you post your question on a new thread rather than tacking it on to a thread that's been inactive for 6 years.

An old thread like this one may contain misinformation as laws and regulations can change over time, so it's possible that something you've read here is no longer accurate.

5 hours ago, madhatterh said:

You must have an ESTA, regardless. There is no such thing as transit ESTA. 

image.png.f430b7e8ef684ad55b66fcc71021be09.png

Visa Waiver Program (state.gov)

6 hours ago, madhatterh said:

leaving the USA straight after the cruise (flying out that afternoon).  My Q is I know I have to apply for an ESTA but do I need a transit Esta or not.  As at least one of the islands is a USA territory.  Thanks  Bill

If you are leaving the US by flight in the afternoon, after a cruise, you won't be in transit as you will pass through customs at the port and have to get yourself to the airport and go back through customs.

Transit is only when you fly into the US and change planes to fly to another country. So as an example: You fly into LA and onward to Tahiti - then you´re in Transit.

When you touch US soil (outside of an airport) you´re in the US and not in Transit.

steamboats

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Samkaym said:

Hi can anyone help, I’m filling in my esta and I’m stuck on the transit question. I’m flying to LA then getting a flight to Hawaii, do I tick yes or no please? 

Since you are staying in USA (Hawaii) you are not in transit to another country. You are entering USA in LA and then staying in USA

See also the post before your

Edited by Asawi