Pat down for artificial knees? Why?

nlktx49

I have an artificial knee. Sometimes I get the pat down , sometimes not. The last time thru airport security, a very nice woman officer did it. She struck up a conversation with me concerning artificial knees. She said her mother had the surgery, and how she could tell I'm swollen. I was, and she said she messaged her mom's knees for her. Just saying, the agents aren't trying to embarrass you, they are just doing their job. It's a by product of a knee replacement, but I would rather get patted down every time than the misery I went thru with a bad knee.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Forums mobile app

I've had 13 surgeries on my spine.....I get patted, searched, groped etc. It's part of my existence. No one has ever

hurt me or caused me pain. Yes, its inconvenient and at times embarrassing but it is what it is......Suck it up and be thankful that you're well enough to cruise!

Sorry, but I have been hurt.

100% correct!!!

I still don’t understand why the OP would be bothered by this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you ever had a pat down by a TSA agent? Maybe it wouldn't bother a man, but as a woman I don't care for some stranger touching my breasts and crotch. That's why it upsets me.

Perhaps it depends on the type of metal used. I don't believe titanium, for example, sets off metal detectors.

My replacement knees are made of titanium and plastic. They set off the detector at the Galveston port and various airports.

Thanks to you all for your replies. I didn't mean to come across as Wendy Whiner, I just wondered if the pat down was standard for everyone with artificial knees. I certainly don't want to miss my cruise. As one person replied, she'd rather have the artificial knees and get the pat down than to not have them and be suffering with the pain. I love my artificial knees, wish I'd had them about 15 years ago! So my rant is over.

I have had my left knee replaced 2 times with 4 surgeries, I have only been on one cruise, but have flown many times since. The one thing that got me is in Vegas after telling the TSA guy I had a knee and he had to call for someone to come and pat me down while my money clip was sitting on the roll out table with my other stuff. Took about 5 mins to get patted.:mad:

Perhaps it depends on the type of metal used. I don't believe titanium, for example, sets off metal detectors.

My replacement knees are made of titanium and plastic. They set off the detector at the Galveston port and various airports.

My "bionics" are indeed titanium. :D So are my friend's.

It must be the Port of Galveston then...

I always go through the full-body scanners in airports. The only thing that ever sets off an alarm is the zipper on my shorts. I get wanded and sent on my merry way.

Have you ever had a pat down by a TSA agent? Maybe it wouldn't bother a man, but as a woman I don't care for some stranger touching my breasts and crotch. That's why it upsets me.

Proper pat down is not pleasant for either gender. In fact it can be painful for males.

The agents are simply following the protocol set down for them. By adhering to a protocol there is (theoretically) less chance of missing something.

The fact that one is not a threat is not something a security checkpoint can assume. In fact quite the opposite should be the approach. None of us like going through security. It is the price we have to pay for safer travel.

Having no metal of any kind in my body, I am unfamiliar with this issue, but have a question as well as a thought.

I know that my dad has “stents” in his heart and has a card that tells this as well as a diagram of where they are located, is this option not available for those that have had metal inserted?

My thought is, while I really never think of this happening, is it not better to be cautious of what “could” be setting of the detectors rather then trust that the metal is surgical not ... harmful?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I have not, but would understand that TSA has rules they must follow and if it means that I must be uncomfortable for a few moments and safe on board, I would suffer through it.

Having no metal of any kind in my body, I am unfamiliar with this issue, but have a question as well as a thought.

I know that my dad has “stents” in his heart and has a card that tells this as well as a diagram of where they are located, is this option not available for those that have had metal inserted?

My thought is, while I really never think of this happening, is it not better to be cautious of what “could” be setting of the detectors rather then trust that the metal is surgical not ... harmful?

I have a stent which I got before I was on all the high tech diabetes stuff. It is too small and too deep in the body to set off anything. It can only be seen on an X-Ray if a talented radiologist knows it is there. The card is to inform medical personnel that it is there in case of future heart issues.

I have a stent which I got before I was on all the high tech diabetes stuff. It is too small and too deep in the body to set off anything. It can only be seen on an X-Ray if a talented radiologist knows it is there. The card is to inform medical personnel that it is there in case of future heart issues.

I know that his stent has never been detected when passing through security, but was wondering if there was not a card that one could carry.

I have three stainless steel 8 inch pins in one leg and have been patted down in ports and airports all over the world. The actual back of the hand pat has always been consistent but the ones doing the patting and the spaces where they do this varies considerably. I wish I had kept track because now it would make an interesting memory book. I am pretty agreeable most of the time and find the agents pretty agreeable across the board.

Just think how many people they have to pay down every day!

I will even go one step further...

I have no metal in me at all but for some reason I seem to get picked a lot for a 'random' search. Whenever I am with my family they all laugh because it happens to me all the time....

I suffer through it despite NOT having any indication of anything wrong...

I must have that face :evilsmile:

I know that his stent has never been detected when passing through security, but was wondering if there was not a card that one could carry.

Such things are easily forged. Security may look at these cards/letter, but they will still go ahead and follow their procedures.

Such things are easily forged. Security may look at these cards/letter, but they will still go ahead and follow their procedures.

Yes, but the card would only be a ... guide ... as the scanners would be able to tell if it was the right area or not.

I could be wrong, and most likely am, I am simply trying to understand better so I can have more compassion for the OP.

They’ve asked me if I have any metal? I say yes. Then the next question is where? It’s the same no matter where I am . Having a MRI , TSA. They are usually ok with asking. When they realized how much I have , I get the sad [emoji20] face.

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH has gotten the "white glove" treatment the last 2 times we have flown out of Kansas City. Body scanner, then wand, then physical pat down with gloves and "residue check" on fingers. I have no idea why because if it has been random selection, then its not that random. He claims it has been the same guy both times (how he knows since they were 11 months apart) and it was because he was wearing Broncos clothing if Chiefs country. Somehow I doubt that is the issue, but it happens. Definitely could be worse.

Yes, but the card would only be a ... guide ... as the scanners would be able to tell if it was the right area or not.

I could be wrong, and most likely am, I am simply trying to understand better so I can have more compassion for the OP.

I am the OP - I called my orthopedic surgeon's office yesterday to ask if they could provide me with a letter or certificate stating I have artificial knees that will set off the metal detector. She said they could, but it wouldn't do any good. They are required by law to do the pat down.