Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean

donnawoz

WE want some views on Celebrity- Reflection vs. Royal Caribbean- Jewel of the Seas. Is there a big difference? Same itiierary. Italy and Greek isles. Which would you select?

Reflection is largest & newest S-class Celebrity(2012)We'll be doing 14 days next Jan. on Reflection. Food quality will be better than RCCL,though food quality went down a lot on Celebrity in the last year. it's the reason we gave Oceania Riviera a shot 2 weeks ago. NOW that was seriously good food! Saw absolutely NO kids/infants. Normally a few kids on Celebrity, but not like the wandering herds you can see on Carnival/RCCL. Service & attention to detail is a lot better on Celebrity.

We prefer the S-class Celebrity ships to the RCCL ones that have the shopping mall down the middle. We have tried two of the RCCL Freedom class ships and were very disappointed with the lack of an outdoor dining area adjacent to the Windjammer cafe. My favorite part of the cruise experience is being able to have breakfast and lunch "al fresco". The design of the buffet on RCCL left me feeling claustrophobic. Everything seemed to revolve around the indoor mall/atrium, with few connections to the ocean itself (which seems to defeat the purpose of a cruise...)

We're doing our first X cruise on Silhouette this march. Eastern Caribbean with 3 sea days and 2 ports we've been to before. The objective is as much to see how we like Celebrity by experiencing as much on board as we can. It's basically comparison shopping between RC and X.

I break down cruise co. like car companies: Carnival(Chevy Chevette)HAL(Oldsmobile)Princess(Pontiac)Cunard(Buick-Cadillac)RCCL(Ford Focus-Taurus)Celebrity(Mercury-Lincoln)Oceania(Mercedes)Crystal(Mercedes-Bentley)Sea Bourne(Lower end Mercedes)Sea Dream/Europa 1&2(Rolls Royce)

Hmm...

Carnival - Rusted Pinto

HAL - Cadillac Eldorado

Princess - Lexus LS

Cunard - Bentley Continental GT

RCCL - Honda Accord (Black with chrome for the Americans)

Celebrity - Audi A8

Oceania - Juaguar XJ

Crystal - Mercedes Maybach S 600

Seabourne - Tesla Model X

We prefer the S-class Celebrity ships to the RCCL ones that have the shopping mall down the middle. We have tried two of the RCCL Freedom class ships and were very disappointed with the lack of an outdoor dining area adjacent to the Windjammer cafe. My favorite part of the cruise experience is being able to have breakfast and lunch "al fresco". The design of the buffet on RCCL left me feeling claustrophobic. Everything seemed to revolve around the indoor mall/atrium, with few connections to the ocean itself (which seems to defeat the purpose of a cruise...)

That’s been my impression of RCCL (at least the newer ships) and I agree 100%. I’m not on ships for shopping, a faux city, or “Broadway” shows. When I want those things, I hop on a train for NYC and I have a great time. On ships, I do want the connection to the sea, and I love dining (or simply enjoying a glass of wine) surrounded by sea and sky. Reading your assessment, and that of others, I will stick with Celebrity (though I’m open to trying others such as Viking at some point).

Hmm...

Carnival - Rusted Pinto

HAL - Cadillac Eldorado

Princess - Lexus LS

Cunard - Bentley Continental GT

RCCL - Honda Accord (Black with chrome for the Americans)

Celebrity - Audi A8

Oceania - Juaguar XJ

Crystal - Mercedes Maybach S 600

Seabourne - Tesla Model X

Love it!:') Now I’m even more certain I’ll never try Carnival! I like your assessment of Celebrity. I haven’t driven the A8 but I recently sold an A4 I’d had for for over a decade. I’m sure the S-class ships wouldn’t corner nearly as well;) Both Audi and Celebrity do have understated style which appeals to me.

Couldn't agree more. The Freedom class design seems to funnel you to that darned promenade. It's not the only reason we're trying X this year but it's a big one. At no time did we find that area relaxing and at times it was downright oppressive. Earlier designs having an atrium/centrum focal point are much more to our taste.