Flowrider lesson?

martyap

I’d personally rent it. The cost wouldn’t be much more than paying for that many lessons. I’d also let them try it first, the first day starting at 1pm being the shortest lines of the week. Then decided if they need lessons. I’ve never seen lessons book up by the first few days, so no worry there most likely.

I would do it. We took our 13 year olds (twins) and paid for the lessons on the first time it was offered...that way the kids learned early on in the cruise and were able to enjoy riding better the rest of the cruise.

I would do it. We took our 13 year olds (twins) and paid for the lessons on the first time it was offered...that way the kids learned early on in the cruise and were able to enjoy riding better the rest of the cruise.

If they really want to spend some time at the flowrider during the cruise, book the lesson and do it early. It will help them actually learn how to ride and then they will enjoy it significantly more.

Mr. ski here...

I spend about 3 hours daily at the flowrider when I am onboard. Much of this time I spend watching folks trying to learn without getting lessons. I always leave a standing request at the desk to join any lesson that has room so I have seen all of the good that occurs when lessons are taken early in the cruise. Trust me...set up the lesson...early on in the voyage and really enjoy the flowrider the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

The sports staff does a great job providing guidance free during the regular sessions.

Agree. If the lines are long during the regular sessions, then I would book a private time early in the cruise. It totally depends on the cruise. If there are lots of people on the ship, then private sessions/lessons are great, but if the cruise is not crowded there is no reason to book these. The sports staff will help, and the people in the line will help. The key is to be open to the free advice.

JC

Highly recommend as well. Our son did one the first night at 6:15 with very few people around which allowed him to be confident in front of the crowds the rest of the week. The instructor actually boogie boarded with him, held his board, talked to him the entire time and let go when appropriate.

Thank you for the replies.....the CP indicates they need a minimum of four participants for the lessons to proceed at $69 each. No much more info. Do they get individual help? How long is the session?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there is a minimum of 4 or 5 people to do the lesson at that price. I forget which number is correct. You definitely get individual help during these sessions. Each time I attend a lesson the staff wants to know how each student is progressing and together the student and staff work on a specific thing during the lesson whether it is something as basic as balance to as advanced as 360s or stalling the board facing up the wave etc. In most cases each student gets multiple attempts to work on their skills without rotating to the next student in order. In reality the group is so small that everybody is very supportive of each other's learning on the wave during the one hour lesson.

4 is the minimum. And like several have said, they get a lot more time and help over the regular line. If you think the flowrider is something they’d enjoy, it’s worth the $69. We cruise Royal specifically for the flowrider. I spend half my cruise there.

Lessons are definitely worth it. If you pay attention while another student is getting instruction, you continue to learn. Although you can get help during "open" times, in a group lesson you get more "reps" or tries in a short time.

I learned in my late 40s. Picked it up reasonably quickly, as I've skied (intermediate) and snowboarded (beginner). Last time I went, instructor encouraged me to join the "expert" operating time, which basically means you have to be able to start by yourself with no help. But a word to the wise - being accomplished in the group lesson or even in open time is not that same as expert. Because of the skill level of the riders, they increase the flow, which makes it more fun if you are of a higher skill level. I was not used to the speed, and struggled to stay up. I could have used an "advance group lesson" to get used to the speed of the water at the expert level (it's like switching between a blue and black run on a ski slope).

Yes there is a minimum of 4 or 5 people to do the lesson at that price. I forget which number is correct. You definitely get individual help during these sessions. Each time I attend a lesson the staff wants to know how each student is progressing and together the student and staff work on a specific thing during the lesson whether it is something as basic as balance to as advanced as 360s or stalling the board facing up the wave etc. In most cases each student gets multiple attempts to work on their skills without rotating to the next student in order. In reality the group is so small that everybody is very supportive of each other's learning on the wave during the one hour lesson.

Mr Ski forgot to list in the above post that he was the one posting.

Skiiegirl does not get on the wave but is an excellent spectator and videographer at the Flowrider!😬

Booked a lesson on our last Oasis trip. Received a message that it was rescheduled. Showed up at the rescheduled time... there was no lesson. None.

I understand they are subject to capacity. No problem with that. But it was the customer service issue of rescheduling me to a phony lesson that no one knew anything about.

I got a refund, but never got the lesson, never used the FlowRider.

Just FYI.

We just got off Navigator, and I booked a lesson for my son. It was for roughly an hour, and well worth every penny. We booked with another family, so there were just three boys - ages 8, 9, and 11. I would definitely book a lesson again for him on next ship that has flowrider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Im thinking about the lessons for my daughter and and I (she is 8 but meets the height requirement). I know each kid is different but my fear is I'm going to spend $70 for her to only leave frustrated. She's fairly coordinated for her age (great swimmer, she dances, been riding a bike without training wheels for a while, etc) and was curious about anecdotal experiences from those who have tried it with younger kids.

^ Before you spend any money on lessons, have her try it a few times during a regular session.

As usual, 100% agree. Have her go the first oppurtunity and if she isn't scared off after a couple of falls, then sign her up for a lesson that evening. Could save you $70. On the other hand $70 could be a sign of commitment that might encourage her to keep trying. This is assuming you are talking about stand-up. I would not bother with lessons for boogie board.

JC

As usual, 100% agree. Have her go the first oppurtunity and if she isn't scared off after a couple of falls, then sign her up for a lesson that evening. Could save you $70. On the other hand $70 could be a sign of commitment that might encourage her to keep trying. This is assuming you are talking about stand-up. I would not bother with lessons for boogie board.

JC

I was thinking about signing up for lessons on day 2 but having her try it on day 1 to see if she can handle to fall. If I am understanding correctly, I could still cancel on day 1 for a refund if she opts against it....correct?

The sports staff does a great job providing guidance free during the regular sessions.

I agree! My son was able to get up and do well after like 2 tries, and each time the instructors there were really patient and helpful. This was after his 3rd try!

35977122160_21670928a6.jpg

Flowrider1 by Cindy, on Flickr

It's really hard to say how each individual kid will take to a new sport, but I can tell you that all four kids in my son's class started out getting comfortable with the Flow Rider by boogie boarding alongside the instructor. Within 20-30 minutes all four were standing and loving it. And this was on a night when the temps were fairly cold and they were all shivering!

I'd wait till day 2 to sign up - refunds usually have to be requested at least 24 hrs ahead. Go to the Flowrider on boarding day - usually short lines.

Agree with first part, second part depends on the ship. On the Oasis class, there is stand-up on the first day for sure. All other classes it is a maybe. On the Freedom it was boogie board only, same with the Navigator. On both the Ovation and Anthem it was both at different times.

Either way get the kids on the wave on the first day even if it is just boogie board. The staff will help the kids with the basics. The big advantage of lessons is that you get more runs in than the normal sessions if there are 20 people in line. Advanced riders will help any new rider learn, but at lot of new riders, are too excited to listen, to the safety demo or advice on how to do it.

JC