Leaving the kids with grandma :)

lizwil10

Extremely selfish... why not place them in a kennel if your going to treat them like pets...

Unreal. God put us on this earth to multiply and be fruitful. I guess when you believe kids are like tacos “the fun part was making them” pack them up at grannies house. They will rather be their than in a cruise...

My kids are 45 & 49 and still live at home. That’s why we have kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the laugh!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2005, my now ex and I left our boys with their grandparents. They were 5 & 9 at the time. We told them before we left that we wouldn't be able to call, but we would try and send them an email each day to let them know what we had done that day. So that's what we did. We had some OBC to use up so we used it for the internet. We emailed most days and on the days we forgot, we just added it to the next days email. They were able to email us back and tell us what they were doing. Worked out great. When we got to St. Thomas, we did call them just to let them know we'd be home the next day.

5 years later, we took them on their first cruise and their grandparents joined us. It was a great family vacation.

When my children were younger we would do the routine bedtime ritual of bath, read books, and then tuck into bed. So, to keep that going smoothly while we were off cruising, I prepared ahead of time a daily diary of our trip. (drawings, pictures, stories, etc.) I put a letter for each day we were away in a sealed envelope and Grandma would pull one out at bedtime. She pretended it was mail from us each and every day.

At bedtime Grandma would open a letter and read to the children the tale of our daily "cruise adventure". The kids loved knowing what Mommy and Daddy were doing. It was something fun.

I didn't pull out the phone once.

Question for all of you Moms & Dads out there when cruising without your kids:

We will be cruising on Oasis with our toddlers on "vacation" at grandma and grandpas. They do really well there, and usually have a weekend sleepover once a month or every six weeks. I would like to facetime in the mornings and before bed with the kids, but my husband thinks it may give them more anxiety to do that.

What have you done in this situation? Only interested in feedback if you have actually been in this situation.

As a grandma , we face timed once and everything was fine. The second time we did it our granddaughter had a difficult time after it was over. I would leave it up to the grandparents to initiate the FT. After all , they are left with the kids and their feelings after you hang up.

Very silly to mollycoddle your kids this way. What did we, as kids, do back when our parents went away and left us at "grandma's"? We sat and waited for a postcard.

And as far as you missing them so much? Please. A cocktail or two will take care of that on Day 1. By Day 2, you ain't sweatin your kids.

Extremely selfish... why not place them in a kennel if your going to treat them like pets...

Unreal. God put us on this earth to multiply and be fruitful. I guess when you believe kids are like tacos “the fun part was making them” pack them up at grannies house. They will rather be their than in a cruise...

My kids are 45 & 49 and still live at home. That’s why we have kids.

LMFAO !!! Best post ever.

Personally, having watched our two (5&3) while kids are away for even overnight, I hate it when they call or want to FT. It's a crap shoot as to how the kids will react. Sometimes it's no big deal. Then another time it's total melt down and we have to get them back settled down.

If it's a week cruise then call or FT no more than twice.

Question for all of you Moms & Dads out there when cruising without your kids:

We will be cruising on Oasis with our toddlers on "vacation" at grandma and grandpas. They do really well there, and usually have a weekend sleepover once a month or every six weeks. I would like to facetime in the mornings and before bed with the kids, but my husband thinks it may give them more anxiety to do that.

What have you done in this situation? Only interested in feedback if you have actually been in this situation.

Not exactly the same situation, but I took care of my infant grand daughter when Mommy went back to work, and I'll be doing it again with our new grandson this year! Yay me!!

Anyway, we used the NannyNotes app, which is like texting unless I took pictures, which I did frequently. What's cool about NN is it has templates the caregiver can just tap on to tell Mommy what's going on, and then add pictures. I would keep her posted all day long (like 12 times a day), and she said it made her feel so much calmer leaving baby. You might want to try it, because instead of just seeing them once a day and wondering about the rest of the time (how are they eating, sleeping, any anxiety?) you keep up on their days.

Just a suggestion, and a lot cheaper than Facetiming or Skyping. Texts go through a lot better than streaming video on cruise ships.

I’d recommend once or at the most twice a week for FaceTime. I find it hard to truly relax and not have the kids constantly on my mind if it’s more than that. We leave the kids a little surprise to open each day while we’re gone. My kids are teenagers now but the ritual continues with a little treat each day when we’re away.

Enjoy your alone time with your hubby. We joke that our trips are cheaper than the cost of marriage counseling.

I appreciate this post so much. My husband and I are leaving our kids (9 & 4) with the grandparents. We’ve done short trips without them, this will be the longest. Our son deals with major anxiety while our daughter doesn’t like talking with us. We have the Marco Polo app already and use it for talking with grandparents. I never thought about using it on vacation! I’m a ball of nerves leaving them behind with the two people who raised me and did an amazing job- it makes me sound crazy!