The woman who died from a balcony fall

dengirl69

Seems very difficult to just fall iff the balconies but also I don’t say not in a negative way. Just hoping it’s not really that possible to fall .

You are right, people do not "fall off" a ship while going about their business. They are either pushed off by an enraged spouse, jump off to commit suicide, or they are drunk as a skunk and practicing gymnastics. If you were worried something bad could happen, unless one of the above applies, it won't happen.

I kind of wondered too. We've talked a handful of families into all cruising as a group later this year. Some have not sailed before and are alarmed. I've tried to explain there has to be some extraordinary circumstance, a fall like this is NOT the norm.

but kudos to the posters who knew a troll when they saw one... And I agree with the listed "potential causes" - it's heartbreaking and BIZARRE.

I'm sorry if this is not allowed and can be deleted if needed, but from what I understand from another Carnival board I am on, is that the first woman that fell, her husband pushed her and he is now in custody. This isn't the one that fell overboard in the Gulf.

I was on the Elation where the woman died. I can tell you what I witnessed.

In dry dock the Elation received new balcony cabins in the front of the ship, up high where the mini golf usually is. The victim was in one of these cabins, G29. The fall was about two floors down to the deck where the lifeboats are. It happened late at night and she was found almost immediately by a couple of young men but she could not be revived.

This happened on the lifeboat deck forward so not a highly trafficked area, thankfully, so few people saw the scene. It was roped off for the following morning. Bahamian police and the FBI were interviewing witnesses. Investigators were dusting for fingerprints on the balcony rail. Nobody was allowed off the ship until the investigation had concluded by that afternoon in Freeport.

The victim's body was taken off the ship in Freeport by medical staff and Bahamian police officers.

Does anyone know details? From what it sounded in article she did not fall in the water, is this correct? Anyone know how she fell yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the pictures I’ve seen her stateroom must have been above the life boats and landed between the ship and lifeboat ledge. I also saw a picture where they powered the railing, she may have tried to sit on it. We will probably never know the full story.🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Elation where the woman died. I can tell you what I witnessed.

In dry dock the Elation received new balcony cabins in the front of the ship, up high where the mini golf usually is. The victim was in one of these cabins, G29. The fall was about two floors down to the deck where the lifeboats are. It happened late at night and she was found almost immediately by a couple of young men but she could not be revived.

This happened on the lifeboat deck forward so not a highly trafficked area, thankfully, so few people saw the scene. It was roped off for the following morning. Bahamian police and the FBI were interviewing witnesses. Investigators were dusting for fingerprints on the balcony rail. Nobody was allowed off the ship until the investigation had concluded by that afternoon in Freeport.

The victim's body was taken off the ship in Freeport by medical staff and Bahamian police officers.

Wow that's sad. For the past week I've been trying to figure out where she fell from because the only balcony's I recall were on deck 11. I had no idea that they added balcony's to what used to be the top deck and also along the sides like the Sensation and Ecstasy

carnival-elation.jpg

Yep, fell from those balconies three floors to deck 11. Seems like a short height to kill someone, but there sure is a lot of metal below those balconies.

Not trying to be a pedant: if she fell from Deck 14 to 11, it would be a 2 deck fall because there is no deck 13 on Elation. I suppose almost 2 and a half decks in order to get over the balcony railing. Decks appear to be about 12 to 13 feet in height, so a 25' to 30' fall.

And people die after falling forward/backwards onto pavement, unfortunately, so 25' can easily kill.

It is a sad thing either way.