Embarkation Security

jadedhart

At embarkation, whether from the home port or at visiting ports, do they ever pat you down? or just walk through a metal detector and then wand you if necessary? do you have to take your shoes off? I'll be sailing with carnival if that matters, and driving to the port. No flying involved.

I don't like being touched by strangers, so I'm wondering if I need to avoid wearing any clothing with metal in them ie belt buckles, underwire bras, shoe grommets.

Thanks!

it's much more relaxed than a TSA pre-flight check, There are metal detectors for you to pass through, however I've never seen anyone be patted down when boarding a cruise at embarkation or otherwise.

I can't help you in the USA, but husband has had to remove shoes and belt several times in the UK...he now travels to the port wearing elasticated trousers, because he's afraid of them falling down... :D

Never had to remove shoes or belts, but quite often had to remove all metal such as coins, keys, etc. from pockets. Cameras, cell phones, etc. will have to be placed in a basket and run through the scanner, along with the metal you removed from pockets. Then walk through a metal detector. All this is typically done at the entrance to the ship at the top of the gangway, but occasionally done somewhere in the terminal, especially if it is a large cruise port with dedicated cruise ship facilities.

Hubby also has a pacemaker, so he can't go thru the metal detector (or anything with magnets).....he gets a cursory pat-down...nothing like at the airport. I still go thru the machine.

If you can go thru the metal detector and nothing is detected, no touching will happen.

My husband has a belt buckle that always beeps going thru any metal detector so he now wears a different belt with no problems. But, last summer had a complete knee replacement surgery. He just tells them and it only clicks when wanding him there and they can see the scar as he wears shorts getting on ships.

I put my fanny pack, my carry on and my hat FULL of cruise pins in the container to be scanned, my husband has put our keys and his wallet in my carry on too. Never had a problem getting scanned.

I have seen some wanding but never pat down at the ships.. Wanding is ratfher common for metal joint replaements and wheelchairs,

My DH always forgets to remove his belt - only wanded once. Now me I am in the metal replacement club also. Most times I don't set off metal detectors. When I do they just usually wand my arm, screws/plates/rods. I have never been physically touched.