Newbie interested in the difference between the NIEUW AMSTERDAM & KONINGSDAM

Sun&Sand52

Newbie to HAL and very interested in sailing with her. Considering both of these ships. One is newer than the other and one is just a little smaller than the other. Other than that basic info, what would you consider to be the good and bad with each ship. Both get very good reviews here on CC and other sites so it looks like you cannot go wrong with either ship. Guess I am just looking for a little bit of insight from people who have cruised either ship recently. Thanks in advance!! :)

Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature Class ship (as is Eurodam) and Koningsdam is a Pinnacle Class ship (as is the yet to sail Nieuw Statendam). NA is more a traditional HAL ship........walkable promenade deck that is expansive. Koningsdam has a promenade but not in the true sense. Some parts are very narrow and the views are almost non-existent. NA has larger cabins (especially interiors). Kdam interiors are very small, even the "large" ones. Shower stalls on Kdam are really large with glass doors. Very nice. Balconies, depending on location, are comparable in size. Kdam is very similar in decor and style to that of Celebrity S class ships. Modern and sleek. NA is traditionally elegant in the HAL style.

We found the food and service about the same. Kdam's buffet is much larger, but I wouldn't say better. I do prefer the MDR on NA. Kdam's MDR always felt a bit chaotic and service is slower. Outdoor space is very different. Retreat cabanas on Kdam cannot compare to those large, well equipped cabanas on NA. However, the area around the main pool on Kdam is fabulous! Not just table and chairs and lounges, but sofas, loveseats, plush chairs and on the upper level queen size bed/loungers with curtains for privacy. We loved it! Both ships are wonderful in their own right and I would not hesitate to sail either one.

Thanks for all the thoughts on the two ships. They both seem beautiful. Kdam reminds me also fo the Celebrity Solstice class ships, which we have sailed on and are beautiful. Leaning more towards the NA this time around to try a little bit smaller ship. Also on the particular sailing we are looking into we can get one of the verandah cabins with an extra large balcony which would be heaven! Love just sitting on the balcony and relaxing!!!!

We always rent a Retreat cabana when we sail and we were shocked at how small the Family Retreat cabana is on the Konigsdam. We were sailing with our son and daughter in law and there was no way the four of us could relax in that cabana at the same time. It really but a damper on our cruise.

We liked the Dutch Café on the Konigsdam but not enough to make us cruise on her again. We have at least ten cruises between the NA and the Eurodam. We love both of them and will continue to book them for our future cruises!

Also, it seemed like there was a profit center around every corner on the K'dam. Not appealing.