Help a Cruise Newbie out with some basic questions.

nielgirl

The Cruise Critic "store" used to offer these water-proof carry containers, or maybe they were even a free bonus - but I see the CC store is no longer in operation. Here is one size among other sizes that Magellens offers: https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MF7605+BL&GASearchTerm=waterproof&srchcat=POPULAR_PRODUCTS

I have another one that is essential a large and long plastic bag that folded over enough times to make it water proof - one could try that themselves and use a rubber band to keep it all together and attach it to yourself somehow while out in the water..

The Cruise Critic "store" used to offer these water-proof carry containers, or maybe they were even a free bonus - but I see the CC store is no longer in operation. Here is one size among other sizes that Magellens offers: https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MF7605+BL&GASearchTerm=waterproof&srchcat=POPULAR_PRODUCTS

I have another one that is essential a large and long plastic bag that folded over enough times to make it water proof - one could try that themselves and use a rubber band to keep it all together and attach it to yourself somehow while out in the water..

Great thanks OlsSalt.

Call your TA and ask them to change your reservation to "Late Fixed Dining" and also ask them for a table for 2.

So our TA just advised that the 8pm late dining was on a wait list when she booked us so she put us on open dining.

She re-checked and it's still on a wait list. We've now been added to the wait list. If we're still on the wait list when we sail then she said we could check with the maitre de in the main dining room to check again.

So our TA just advised that the 8pm late dining was on a wait list when she booked us so she put us on open dining.

She re-checked and it's still on a wait list. We've now been added to the wait list. If we're still on the wait list when we sail then she said we could check with the maitre de in the main dining room to check again.

Keep your fingers crossed on getting the late fixed. And if not, as has been suggested, you can always request a table for two at a specific time in open seating. But only for a couple or three days at a time, and only for certain hours I believe.

We always get late-fixed table for two. We also notice a number of empty tables in the upper dining room become empty as the cruise wears on - we assume those who thought they wanted to dine at the same time every night in this more formal setting found out they did not and stopped coming. So it is a good idea to check back in after a few days to see if any of those prior booked tables are now considered "open" again. We also see tables for four set up as tables for two so this can be an option too if a foursome decides to call it quits too

The Nieuw Amsterdam was my first and so far only cruise and my friend and I loved it. We are two moms in our mid 30's (it was a glorious kid free week as kids stayed home with our husbands) and loved the small ships atmosphere and how relaxing it was.

We actually hated eating in the MDR (we were on the late dining time)...our waiter was ridiculously slow and so we'd end up taking 2 hours + to eat and then would end up missing the start of shows happening. We ended up only eating in the MDR twice, the first night and then the lobster/steak Gala night, otherwise we'd eat on the Lido deck or order room service from the MDR menu (we'd go down every morning and look at the menu for the evening :)). We had far faster service with room service personally, plus we thought the selection on the Lido was great. Plus we utilized our Spa passes during dinner since we didn't enjoy eating in the MDR...the thermal suite and hydro pool were quite empty during meals. :)

Offshore, we only took IDs (and room cards), HAL will let you know if a passport is necessary and on our Eastern Caribbean cruise it never was.

Grand Turks is very easy to walk right off and be on the beach quickly. We did a snorkel/see the stingrays tour there in the morning and then hung at the beach the rest of the day. And Half Moon Cay was great for just hanging out on the beach.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

I prefer the smaller Veendam where almost everything is located on a single deck and it is only one or two flights of stairs to the Main Dining Room.

My photo review of the Veendam, Dec 2017:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-veendam-on-board/

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I want to say thank you so much for your wonderful website. This is my first HAL cruise and I have looked at every part of your site. I love it!

Hi Everyone,

I've got another question about the beverage cards. If I buy a couple of the $250 Beverage Cards and don't use them all up, will HAL refund the remaining amount to my credit card or do they simply place in back in my account for future cruise usuage?

Hi Everyone,

I've got another question about the beverage cards. If I buy a couple of the $250 Beverage Cards and don't use them all up, will HAL refund the remaining amount to my credit card or do they simply place in back in my account for future cruise usuage?

they refund it back to your on board account.

If you have a balance owing, it reduces the balance. (Which is charged to your credit card) If you don't owe, and it gives you a credit, it is credited back to your credit card.

they refund it back to your on board account.

If you have a balance owing, it reduces the balance. (Which is charged to your credit card) If you don't owe, and it gives you a credit, it is credited back to your credit card.

Great thanks.

You'll find that HAL ships in general, have 55+ cruiser norm. You will be the life of the ship if you're in early 50's. We are sailing the Koningsdam next week, it will be our 10th cruise and 3rd with HAL. We have sailed 3 times with Princess, 3 times with Royal Caribbean, 3 times with HAL and one time with Norwegian. HAL has the best service in our opinion and Id rank them top in food.

Half moon Cay is awesome. It is the best beach you'll see in the Caribbean. the amenities are great, plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, powder sand and lots of fish, great service, good BBQ lunch all included except soda and alcohol.

Grand Turk is another great beach day, literally 300 feet off the ship, you are in a nice lounger and Margaritaville is just a few steps away. we will be walking down the beach 10 minutes to a place called Jacks shack which is awesome with free lounge chairs, not as crowded.

Costa Maya has a fairly nice cruise port area with pool...but the rest not very nice, I'd stay on the ship here.

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I have booked HAL transfers for our transportation between the airport & cruise port in Fort Lauderdale and then for our return home.

We are arriving at 6:00am and were wondering if the HAL transfer includes taking our bags to the ship or at least holding the bags until our boarding time? We'd like to take advantage of the few hours between 6am & the 11am boarding time to check out the sights in Fort Lauderdale & maybe grab some pop/wine to bring on board with us.

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I have booked HAL transfers for our transportation between the airport & cruise port in Fort Lauderdale and then for our return home.

We are arriving at 6:00am and were wondering if the HAL transfer includes taking our bags to the ship or at least holding the bags until our boarding time? We'd like to take advantage of the few hours between 6am & the 11am boarding time to check out the sights in Fort Lauderdale & maybe grab some pop/wine to bring on board with us.

You're arriving at 6:00AM? I didn't know any flights got in that early. It would seem to be pretty difficult to squeeze in any sightseeing in that short time, unless maybe you use Uber instead of the transfers. If you want wine, Total Wine is on the way to the port if you use a cab or Uber, but I don't think the transfer bus will stop there. We picked up 12 bottles last cruise, 10 days, and the selection and service was wonderful.

Probably too late to change, but we NEVER fly in the day of a cruise; too many things can go wrong, and we like to tour around a bit and go to a nice dinner in FLL.

Have a great cruise.

You're arriving at 6:00AM? I didn't know any flights got in that early. It would seem to be pretty difficult to squeeze in any sightseeing in that short time, unless maybe you use Uber instead of the transfers. If you want wine, Total Wine is on the way to the port if you use a cab or Uber, but I don't think the transfer bus will stop there. We picked up 12 bottles last cruise, 10 days, and the selection and service was wonderful.

Probably too late to change, but we NEVER fly in the day of a cruise; too many things can go wrong, and we like to tour around a bit and go to a nice dinner in FLL.

Have a great cruise.

Ya our touring around on embarkation day will be limited to obtaining refreshments. Half way through our trip we port back in Fort Lauderdale so we'll do the sight seeing on that day in port.

Thanks for the info.

We used the HAL airport transfer to the Port last November 2017. We arrived at approximately 11:00 AM and a HAL rep with a sign was there to meet us and others. We waited in a group for a short time (10 min or so) and then were all walked out to a spot where a bus came and picked us all up. They loaded our luggage into the bottom of the bus for us and off loaded it and gave it to the porters at the Port.

Arriving so early you may ( I'm not sure here) have some time on your hands, but you'll have to keep your luggage with you.

Hope that helps.

dh

We used the HAL airport transfer to the Port last November 2017. We arrived at approximately 11:00 AM and a HAL rep with a sign was there to meet us and others. We waited in a group for a short time (10 min or so) and then were all walked out to a spot where a bus came and picked us all up. They loaded our luggage into the bottom of the bus for us and off loaded it and gave it to the porters at the Port.

Arriving so early you may ( I'm not sure here) have some time on your hands, but you'll have to keep your luggage with you.

Hope that helps.

dh

Thanks. I guess my other option is using one of the luggage direct services so my husband aren't wandering around Fort Lauderdale lugging our bags looking like lost children.

Ya our touring around on embarkation day will be limited to obtaining refreshments. Half way through our trip we port back in Fort Lauderdale so we'll do the sight seeing on that day in port.

Thanks for the info.

A good way to see some of the sights in FLL is the Water Taxi. You can do a complete loop in a bit over 3 hours, with a running commentary from the crew. Many spots you can get on.

A good way to see some of the sights in FLL is the Water Taxi. You can do a complete loop in a bit over 3 hours, with a running commentary from the crew. Many spots you can get on.

Oh that sounds like a great option. One of the cruise vloggers mentioned the Riverwalk tour on their Youtube channel. They suggested walking either side of the river's edge along Riverwalk, but a boat ride would be even better.