Best price for specialty dining

Marran

Hi there, Norwegian newbie here. We are sailing on the Dawn from Tampa on February 7th. I'm wondering if its cheaper to purchase a specialty dining package prior to getting on the ship, or if pricing is the same for the package once on board? Are discounts ever offered at the specialty restaurants, like Celebrity does? TIA!

As I can see you are from Canada (as are we), I'm gonna say that it depends...I did the math on my end, and it's better for me to wait to get on board and book either using OBC or current credit card rate than the CDN dollar equivalent that is posted as the purchase price online. For example, the 3 day dining plan is $69 USD. If I want to purchase that online it's $110 CAD. Not sure what exchange rate they are using, but it looks to be close 1.59 CAD/USD....you might want to do the math before you buy online....

As I can see you are from Canada (as are we), I'm gonna say that it depends...I did the math on my end, and it's better for me to wait to get on board and book either using OBC or current credit card rate than the CDN dollar equivalent that is posted as the purchase price online. For example, the 3 day dining plan is $69 USD. If I want to purchase that online it's $110 CAD. Not sure what exchange rate they are using, but it looks to be close 1.59 CAD/USD....you might want to do the math before you buy online....

I made that same point on another thread. I can buy U.S. dollars right now for a 26% exchange rate compared to NCL's 33%.

I don’t think they offer discounts like celebrity does. The specialties are full every night since so many people have the dining package. Your best bet would be to purchase ahead and make reservations ahead. If you buy on the ship make your reservations right away. I walked by the reservation desk multiple times when someone was complaining that they didn’t want to eat after 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t think they offer discounts like celebrity does. The specialties are full every night since so many people have the dining package. Your best bet would be to purchase ahead and make reservations ahead. If you buy on the ship make your reservations right away. I walked by the reservation desk multiple times when someone was complaining that they didn’t want to eat after 9.

Do a mix and match - buy the 3 meal package online in advance and make reservations for those 3 meals.

Then within the first 2 days on board the ship buy as many more as you would like and book those reservations at that time.

Perplexed by the only reservation times are for after 9PM - visit the restaurant and talk directly to the Matri D'

host or hostess as much in advance and see what other options may be offered.

Do a mix and match - buy the 3 meal package online in advance and make reservations for those 3 meals.

Then within the first 2 days on board the ship buy as many more as you would like and book those reservations at that time.

Perplexed by the only reservation times are for after 9PM - visit the restaurant and talk directly to the Matri D'

host or hostess as much in advance and see what other options may be offered.

The 9 pm issue is that this was a few days into a 10 day cruise and all other reservation times for the remainder of the cruise has been booked up. If it’s cheaper to book ahead' date=' I don’t see an advantage to waiting till they are on the ship to book the second package. I never saw them advertising discounted packages on the ship. And with every restaurant booked up, why would they.

If you are particular about dining times, and decide to book the package onboard, then it might be better for you to book your reservations shortly after you get on the ship. Personally, we've done both, where we book ahead of time to get a decent time but sometimes we like to play it by ear and see what the dining room's dinner menu is that same morning and if nothing appeals we will look at the screens that show reservation statuses for the specialty restaurants and go from there. But yes, I do not recall any discounts on the ship. As well, with one "free" perks being specialty dining, it could be that is why it's harder to get decent reservation times. There are some cruises where we were only able to get late (8pm) reservations, but since we didn't have the kids, and snacks are abundant in the buffet, it wasn't really that much of an issue.

Extortionate!!!!

I used to pay in CAD from NZ in the old days, glad I now pay in USD.

Agreed! But one year this worked out in our favour. We had booked the cruise at an exchange rate of 1.11 CAD/USD and by the time the cruise date rolled around it was 1.28 CAD/USD. So that cruise we booked a lot of extra stuff online to get that great exchange rate!!