Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

It is a cooler day in Germany today with scattered rain falling in all areas apart, yes, annoyingly somewhat, the Upper Middle Rhine valley, i.e. the Rhine gorge and its adjacent areas. But The Upper Rhine valley is getting rain which will see a rise at Maxau gauging station later today. Hence the fact that I posted yesterday about levels rising again soon. It is raining in the Alps in Bavaria and the mountains are seeing snow as well. The Lech will bring much water to the Upper Danube and hopefully all that water will help the levels at Straubing and Hofkirchen.

Here on the Rhine we will need to see if the current rain can get the level up again for sailing at all or in more comfort, depending on the ship. So, we read yesterday that the Viking Idi was supposedly the last of the Viking ships to make it through the gorge. Which raises the question which ships will be able to sail still? I intend to follow on marinetraffic a few ships currently in Koblenz or Rüdesheim (and nearby areas) to see how they fare. Yesterday I happened to notice that the Tauck Grace (135m) made it through the gorge downstream. She is a beautiful ship by the way, in my opinion. She is also chartered occasionally by a German company, so perhaps one day I might be able to sail on her... Ok, back from dreaming.

Who of the 135m ships makes it when Viking does not? How are the smaller ships doing? I wonder what I can find out.

The levels have fallen since yesterday, as forecast: Maxau 346cm, Kaub 56cm, Koblenz 53cm.

notamermaid

Not sure which gorge you’re referring to, I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks so I’d thought I’ll post my updates here too. We’re currently on the Avalon Impression (Amsterdam to Budapest) which we were supposed to embark on Sept 28 but couldn’t since our ship didn’t make it to Amsterdam in time. We had 2 nights in Amsterdam hotel and then was bussed into Cologne where we embarked last night. Sailed through Rhine valley this morning and spent a lovely afternoon in Rüdesheim. We’re hoping for continued good water levels on both Rhine and Danube!

Not sure which gorge you’re referring to, I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks so I’d thought I’ll post my updates here too. We’re currently on the Avalon Impression (Amsterdam to Budapest) which we were supposed to embark on Sept 28 but couldn’t since our ship didn’t make it to Amsterdam in time. We had 2 nights in Amsterdam hotel and then was bussed into Cologne where we embarked last night. Sailed through Rhine valley this morning and spent a lovely afternoon in Rüdesheim. We’re hoping for continued good water levels on both Rhine and Danube!

You are on the same cruise as my parents!!! I have been monitoring this thread religiously because I booked the cruise for them and my aunt and uncle and I was so nervous the cruise would be halted by the river conditions. This is a dream trip for them and I want it to go perfectly. I've talked to them every night and it sounds like the cruise has been wonderful so far -- so glad to see you have experienced the same :D

Breaking news:

the lost steam engine in the Rhine has not been found. The organizers of the rescue operation have confirmed that at the site where they had been digging there is no engine. The excavation has been stopped and everyone is shocked and disappointed.

I as a railway enthusiast am disappointed and feel so sorry for the hunters.

For you cruisers it looks more promising as yesterday's rain has made the level rise at Maxau. But more on that later.

notamermaid

Hello Bev415,

That is really disappointing. Sorry to read that you will spend so much time on a coach. I hope you can enjoy the stops and what Grand Circle is able to provide in terms of hotel accommodation. I look forward to reading your posts, especially as we do not hear much about Grand Circle. If you like you could even put your posts into a separate thread which could be helpful for future cruisers of Grand Circle. You just click on the button "start a new thread", give it a title and off you go.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

We travel with Grand Circle and would really enjoy and appreciate posts on their trips! We leave Nov 8 on the Rhine and Mosel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leaving for the airport in a few minutes to travel to Amsterdam. Other than the generic "Welcome to your cruise" email from Viking, there has been nothing regarding the low water levels. Will remain hopeful and will check in as the signal permits (and when I have something to report!). Many thanks to notamermaid for all of the reports.

quilter06,

Bev415 has started a thread for their itinerary: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2683728 They have now started their trip, I hope it has been a smooth journey so far.

Glee63,

welcome to the river cruising board. I was referring to the gorge you had just sailed through when you posted from Rüdesheim :). It is great to read that the Avalon Impression has been able to make the passage as she is also 135m long, the largest river cruise ship size allowed on the Rhine. She is one of the ships I was tracking to see if they can get through.

Exxperiences, welcome to cruisecritic, I am happy for your relatives to be able to sail without too much interruption so far and I can tell you are very relieved about it, being responsible for sending them on the trip. :)

The day yesterday did actually not turn out as bad as expected as also the Viking Vidar (135m) still went through the gorge downstream during the morning, as well as the Amadeus Royal (110m). The Viking Mimir (135m) has sailed through during this morning.

The Emerald Destiny (135m) and the Avalon Passion (135m) both stopped signalling about 9 hours ago approaching Rüdesheim so hopefully they are sailing through the gorge now (downstream). Sailing upstream both the Amavenita (135m) and the Amaprima (135m) stopped signalling in the Rhine gorge several hours ago.

By the way, the Avalon Artistry II who had docked in Engers for over 24 hours is now in Koblenz, but we learnt quite some posts ago already that her itineraries are re-arranged. The Crystal Debussy is now in Andernach, but we already know that Crystal is not even currently considering a normal itinerary gathering from what cruisers have posted in the last few weeks. The Crystal Debussy is of course also 135m long.

So what are the river levels this afternoon? Maxau at 394cm has made a bit of a jump, Kaub is at 56cm and Koblenz 52cm. The last two are of course critically low but with Maxau having risen well there is the assumption of Kaub and Koblenz following suit, although a rise of equal value will not be possible. Hopefully I can report better figures tomorrow.

notamermaid

Leaving for the airport in a few minutes to travel to Amsterdam. Other than the generic "Welcome to your cruise" email from Viking, there has been nothing regarding the low water levels. Will remain hopeful and will check in as the signal permits (and when I have something to report!). Many thanks to notamermaid for all of the reports.

azbirdmom,

safe travels. Have a great time. And thank you. :)

notamermaid

azbirdmom,

safe travels. Have a great time. And thank you. :)

notamermaid

Thank you! Just boarded our flight to Amsterdam and got this - at least they are communicating!

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming European voyage. This message is to let you know that the Rhine River is experiencing low water levels that may impact your itinerary.

As this summer has been unusually dry, many European rivers have reached historically low levels. When water levels are too low, navigation may become restricted in certain areas. While most sections of the rivers are now stable and water levels have improved, some areas have yet to fully recover.

As a result, we may need to adjust our sailing speeds (which could result in slight delays) or dock in alternate locations in areas where our regular docking spots are adversely affected by the conditions.

Please note, unlike ocean sailing, as little as an inch or two determines whether navigation is possible and river levels can change quickly for better or for worse. While we strive to give you as much detail regarding how your cruise may be impacted ahead of time, river conditions today may be very different than on the day you pass through the affected area. This means we cannot confirm exact details until closer to departure, or even possibly after.

Rest assured, we have considerable experience in dealing with situations like this and our nautical department is continuing to monitor the situation closely so that we can notify you of any changes as soon as we are aware.

Should you have any questions regarding your cruise before your departure, please contact Customer Relations at customerrelations@vikingcruises.com or call 1-877-523-0579, Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, PDT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion, that is an excellent and accurate message. I think they've covered all the bases. Well done to Viking.

I also regard the e-mail sent to azbirdmom (and I would think to the other passengers of the same vessel if not to more ships about to sail) as excellent. It is hardly possible to saying anything better under the circumstances in my opinion.

notamermaid

More digging, more unearthing of treasures... from Roman times

While the hunt for the lost engine in the Rhine has come to an unexpected end, other archaeologists have been more successful. I have said in the past that when you dig in a city like Cologne you "always" find either a) something Roman or b) something medieval, or c) a WWII bomb, in other places such digs - usually in conjunction with a prospected building site of sorts - such things are not that likely to come up. But in the Netherlands where the Romans had established themselves there is an area that is known to contain Roman remains, especially around the town Katwijk which at one time marked the northern border of the Roman empire. Archaeologist where called in to examine the area before a new road is built and while they expected finds, what they unearthed nevertheless took them by surprise:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-45678860

If you are interested in Roman history and would like to see many remains of structures, the Rhine is actually not your best river for a cruise. There is more to see in Trier on the Moselle with a great mosaic at the town of Perl nearby, or on the Rhone with the fabulous Pont du Gard bridge usually included on an excursion. If you would like to combine Roman history and the Rhine without doing the Moselle the best way to get in-depth into the subject is to go to the Romano-Germanic museum - http://www.roemisch-germanisches-museum.de/Homepage - in Cologne next to the Cathedral and choose a river cruise itinerary that stops at Xanten. Next to the modern (medieval) town is the site of the Roman Colonia Ulpia Traiana: https://www.dw.com/en/follow-in-roman-gladiators-footsteps-at-germanys-xanten-park/a-19426443

notamermaid

Hadrian's wall, yes, the wall to keep out the Picts coming from Scotland. I stood there some years ago on a wet and windy day in Maryport near Carlisle. On such a day I can imagine a Roman soldier wishing himself back to warm Rome!

The river levels: Maxau 383cm, Kaub 61cm, Koblenz 50cm. Where did all that rain go??

notamermaid

Indeed, very little to no rain is forecast for the next three days in the Rhine valley. To get the water levels up substantially for a longer time we need rain in the catchment area of the Rhine South of Worms for - my guess - four days in a row for at least six hours and not just drizzle. That would be the area of Basel and inland into Switzerland, Lake Constance, the East side of the Vosges mountains and the West side of the Black Forest.

There is some rain forecast for over that area for Monday and Tuesday. But I fear it will not be prolonged rain. Need to wait and see...

notamermaid

Hadrian's wall, yes, the wall to keep out the Picts coming from Scotland. I stood there some years ago on a wet and windy day in Maryport near Carlisle. On such a day I can imagine a Roman soldier wishing himself back to warm Rome!

The river levels: Maxau 383cm, Kaub 61cm, Koblenz 50cm. Where did all that rain go??

notamermaid

if I recall correctly there were also similar walls and forts built in Germany during Hadrians rule.

Hi Notamermaid,

Thank you for all your help with these river levels and such. I read this thread every day hoping for some rain. We do not sail until Dec 3 from Basel to Amsterdam, but I wondering if normally November is a wet month?

Thank you!

if I recall correctly there were also similar walls and forts built in Germany during Hadrians rule.

Correct, the wall was called Limes and ran from the Danube via Main to the Rhine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limes

Also a Roman fort has been reconstructed (to the north of Frankfurt) called Saalburg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saalburg

Thank you G.M.T. You have beaten me to posting about the Limes☺️. The unfortunate thing is that, although the Limes is 550 km long, there is less left of it than there is of Hadrian's Wall. Much of it is just ditches in forest areas and a few excavated walls, i.e. foundations of forts. The reconstructed Saalburg is great. At Rheinbrohl on the Rhine there is also a reconstructed tower and museum. Come to think of it, you could get to that museum if your river cruise ship docked in Andernach and someone took you across on the bridge or ferry but it does take a bit of time logistically.

notamermaid

Hi Notamermaid,

Thank you for all your help with these river levels and such. I read this thread every day hoping for some rain. We do not sail until Dec 3 from Basel to Amsterdam, but I wondering if normally November is a wet month?

Thank you!

November brings more rain to some parts of the valley but the difference to October is not big. I would not regard November as a wet month. In fact, in many places the Summer months are wetter on average than October or November. But the last few years have been so unusual that this year I would not want to say anything about what might be. Who knows, we might have 14 degrees on 1 November again, like in 2014. That is too warm. I recall having had 2 degrees in years gone by! Or it could rain heavily for days. I haven't a clue. Here is a page I have chosen for you: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/switzerland/basel/ext In the line above the graphs you can change to climate where you will see the averages.

From another website: On Sunday, in the later hours of the day, the Vosges mountains and Switzerland will see some rain already but the affect will be minimal I should think, as much of that judging from the radar film will feed the Moselle and not the Upper Rhine Valley (the vosges mountains are a dividing line between Moselle and Rhine). How much of the rain in Switzerland will reach the rivers and streams that drain into the Rhine we will need to wait and see. I does not look substantial judging from the forecast weather pictures that are currently online.

Edit: the river levels: Maxau 375cm, Kaub 74cm, Koblenz 61cm. A bit better than yesterday in the Rhine gorge.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added information

On our second day in Basel and a beautiful sunny day which will not help the water levels but they have been dredging the centre channel of the river both days, and not just silt and gravel but great big boulders too! 20cd2e7684bf945e5ef835a0b98aff92.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A non-water level question. We will be in Koblenz for only five hours (fingers crossed!). Viking offers a free three hour tour of Marksburg Castle. But I notice that the cable car to Festung Ehrenbreitstein is very near to where Viking (usually) docks. It doesn't appear that we can do both (Yes/no?). For anyone who has been to both, which do you recommend? I love history, but my SO enjoys views. Thank you in advance for your advice.