Good or bad news ??no reply on bid

Minoushka

I bid on an upgrade from OV to Balcony on Getaway for Feb ...I have not heard acceptance or refusal ...is there hope or not for upgrade ?

Will they tell me if refused ?

I've bid on four different occasions and all reported at the 48 hour mark. I only scored one of those four upgrades. So, two days before you sail is the standard, however, a few people report much earlier. Some people bid ridiculously high and score an answer within days.

Good Luck!

Kel:D

I've bid on four different occasions and all reported at the 48 hour mark ...Some people bid ridiculously high and score an answer within days ...

Ditto, it's a matrix of elements in play, i.e. occupancy level & whether various categories of staterooms are fully booked, 95%, 80%, 75% at 8 weeks out, 4 weeks out & 1 week out - with the bidding in queue.

We scored 5 out of 6 among the ones we bidded for during off-peak period (not all of them ours ... including extended families & best friends we cruised together with, in the past year since UA's launch).

OP's Feb's sailing (dates ??) might be during the winter/school break with some ships said to be sold out, thus the odds for any sort of upgrade are slim to none. # of people in the stateroom - also another key, due to lifeboat capacity.

There are many who bid in the good & high range, thus - offers too good for NCL to refuse or wait, in case minds are changed later on ... not surprised, LOL, for them to quickly seize the credit card to process for payment & do the GTY upgrade. We've heard on our "poor" bids successfully within the 2 weeks, 10 days down to the 4 or 5 days before sailing - and fine with that.

For rejections, it seemed almost all bidders, get the "sorry" email right at the 48 deadline, or just hours before that ... as they still need another half a day to finish the "processing" before you can see the "upgraded" status with the new stateroom assigned ... and reprint the eDocs & luggage tags.

No news is good news if it is still more than 3 days out - best of luck to OP ...

Got lucky on my bid for a cruise on the Jade in 40 more days. Heard yesterday my bid to jump from inside to balcony was accepted. One issue you have is that you are bidding on OV to balcony (1 step up). You not only have to compete with other OV category bidders, but also the inside folks as well. In some cases, inside folks will outbid those in OV and jump in line ahead of them, because the slider for them is set a little higher for balcony. My strategy was to only bid for the balcony, and not for OV. Had I also bid for OV, they may have passed me over figuring they could upgrade an OV to balcony PLUS upgrade me from inside to OV. It's all about $$$ to the cruiseline. Good luck.

I bid on an upgrade from OV to Balcony on Getaway for Feb ...I have not heard acceptance or refusal ...is there hope or not for upgrade ?

Will they tell me if refused ?

They have until 48 hours prior to departure to notify you. On our last cruise, the email came right at the 48-hour mark.

If your bid is accepted weeks or months out, you most likely overbid. They quickly accept the bids that are very generous to NCL.

I don't disagree with this statement, but my bid to go from Inside to Balcony still represented a substantial savings from just booking the balcony cabin from the get-go. In this case, it works out for me and NCL I guess. Happy cruising!

If your bid is accepted weeks or months out, you most likely overbid. They quickly accept the bids that are very generous to NCL.

Partly true. More that they have your money. They have lots of inventory in the higher priced cabins. And based on their yield management calculations, they have a higher probability of selling the cheaper cabin again, and again.

An empty cabin does not generate revenue. And an empty cabin literally costs money (fuel) to move around the ocean. NCL has to fill a minimum % of cabins to make each cruise profitable.

Partly true. More that they have your money. They have lots of inventory in the higher priced cabins. And based on their yield management calculations, they have a higher probability of selling the cheaper cabin again, and again.

An empty cabin does not generate revenue. And an empty cabin literally costs money (fuel) to move around the ocean. NCL has to fill a minimum % of cabins to make each cruise profitable.

And in other news water is wet. Nothing in your reply points to my post being partly true. But I guess anything is only partly true if you want to parse it out.