Luggage damaged when getting on the ship, what to do?

You should report it immediately to the passenger service desk. HOWEVER, is a "rip" in the fabric? Did anything fall out and lost? The problem is...prove where it happened. Did you fly? It could have been damaged by the airline, or even damaged before you left home....If is just a rip in the fabric with no loss of items. You are pretty much out of luck for any compensation. A lot of high end luggage does have a warranty, but doesn't cover normal use, of which this would be.

Coming off Anthem 1/19 my smaller suitcase was damaged. One wheel was crushed. Didn't notice because a porter loaded it on his cart and into our car. Having gotten home with it, I figure I'm out of luck. Being as it's 20 years old, I'm calling it good and took it as a sign to buy a new one. It's out by the trash as we speak and new one on order.

I know they keep a selection of luggage on-board as a wheel was broken off mine last year when I boarded. They replaced it the same day no hassle at all. They even offered to sit peeling my stickers off my case so they could re apply them to the replacement one lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Another reason to do carry on luggage only. Never leaves your control. Yes, into the overhead on the plane, but you are (typically) sitting just beneath that overhead bin.

Good if you can fit all you need for the cruise into a carry on size suitcase approved for on board the airplane. There are similar restrictions with carry on size luggage at the ship check in as well. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My sister dropped off her luggage at the docks and it was loaded onto the ship for her. When it got to her room, there is a rip in it.

Should she report it now, while on the ship? Should she report it afterwards?

Agree with the advice to talk with Guest Services on board ASAP. But just for informational purposes, the ship's crew does not handle the luggage until it is on board the ship. Third party longshoremen porters are responsible for the luggage from drop off to the ship.

We had a brand new piece of luggage get damaged somewhere between leaving it in the hallway and the porter loading it into our vehicle in the parking garage. We didn't know it was damaged until we got home and some pieces were all over the inside of the luggage. I can only guess, but I think it got struck in an elevator door or some other piece of equipment. I called Royal and explained the situation but they said we would have had to report it at disembarkation.....so SOL. Lesson learned. We can't pack in just a carry-on so we purchase inexpensive luggage and that way we haven't lost much if we have to replace it. Funny thing is that since we've done that, the luggage has survived without incident. It's difficult to impossible to prove how/when it happened. We were the guilty party that caused someone to get to the luggage area and have to file a claim that their luggage was missing. We were in a couple of vans (LARGE family group) with LOTS of luggage. My Dad pointed out what he thought was his piece of black luggage and one of the teens tossed it to the porter without checking the ID, and it was loaded into the van. When we got to my parents garage, where all the luggage was unloaded for everyone, we discovered an additional piece of black luggage. We called Royal and they had it picked up to send to the folks who I'm sure felt the cruise line was responsible for losing. We were horrified and offered to pay to have it shipped to them or directly to the passenger, but they had it picked up and paid the costs.

50 years of traveling, I learned a few things. Buy luggage that is cheap. My most expensive piece is $60.00 for a full sized (holds the 50lbs) it needs just fine. This gets tossed around in planes, on ships, by porters, on busses and who knows what else. It's the mysterious life of luggage. I have one piece of luggage that is ripped at the seams. I actually sewed it up. Why, because it's cheap.

If you are on the ship, file a claim. Maybe they will help. If not, did you use a CC on the trip? You might have some insurance with them. Just buy cheap, and have fun. A row of duck tape will also be handy to fix rips.

We carry duct tape with us just in case the rip we suffer is great.

Technically the cruise line has no obligation to do anything similar to an airline.

Keith

Unless you have luggage that carries a warranty against damage done by airline/cruise line. Briggs & Riley is a brand that carries such a warranty. Pricey......yes......but well worth it. If they can't repair it they replace it with a new piece.