Cruise Elegant Night (Carnival Pride) - What to wear?

locarakko

Knights Templar...thank you for your story. The only thing more obnoxious than the guy who can’t be bothered to put on pants for dinner is the guy who thinks it’s okay to “own the room” with loud and boorish behavior. Everyone is on vacation and having fun but thumbing your nose at simple etiquette rules and treating crew badly is never okay. Love that the MD held their ground with minimal fuss and handled the situation with style.

Knights Templar...thank you for your story. The only thing more obnoxious than the guy who can’t be bothered to put on pants for dinner is the guy who thinks it’s okay to “own the room” with loud and boorish behavior. Everyone is on vacation and having fun but thumbing your nose at simple etiquette rules and treating crew badly is never okay. Love that the MD held their ground with minimal fuss and handled the situation with style.

Oh yea Chef, when the MD laid the line of "....I will move you" and smiled at Billy, there was those few seconds of uncomfortable silence where I am just waiting for Billy to lunge out of the chair. Billy was no little guy either. He had to go 6'3" 240-250. I guess there were some intelligence brain cells left in that big melon of a head of his that somehow fired and told him, "you may win this battle, but you will lose the war and lose bad" :loudcry:

I guess the thing is and its hard for me to understand maybe because I am not wired that way, I think some people enjoy just being contrarian. For the sole reason of being contrarian. The rule in its simplest form says "2 nights out of 7, in the MDR, wear long pants that aren't jeans and wear a decent shirt. If you don't want to do that, eat someplace else". That really isn't that hard, be like Nike and "JUST DO IT". Look at these threads. You will get every excuse under the sun (many of them asinine) of why a guy cant wear slacks 2 nights out of 7. Its ridiculous. For me, dress shorts are really nice and appropriate, but it isn't my ship. Carnivals ship, Carnivals rules. So if I go to the MDR on Elegant evenings, I will wear slacks, a button down shirt and occasionally throw on a sports coat....its not that hard, just do it

Happy Cruising Chef

Edited by Knights Templar

Oh yea Chef, when the MD laid the line of "....I will move you" and smiled at Billy, there was those few seconds of uncomfortable silence where I am just waiting for Billy to lunge out of the chair. Billy was no little guy either. He had to go 6'3" 240-250. I guess there were some intelligence brain cells left in that big melon of a head of his that somehow fired and told him, "you may win this battle, but you will lose the war and lose bad" :loudcry:

I guess the thing is and its hard for me to understand maybe because I am not wired that way, I think some people enjoy just being contrarian. For the sole reason of being contrarian. The rule in its simplest form says "2 nights out of 7, in the MDR, wear long pants that aren't jeans and wear a decent shirt. If you don't want to do that, eat someplace else". That really isn't that hard, be like Nike and "JUST DO IT". Look at these threads. You will get every excuse under the sun (many of them asinine) of why a guy cant wear slacks 2 nights out of 7. Its ridiculous. For me, dress shorts are really nice and appropriate, but it isn't my ship. Carnivals ship, Carnivals rules. So if I go to the MDR on Elegant evenings, I will wear slacks, a button down shirt and occasionally throw on a sports coat....its not that hard, just do it

Happy Cruising Chef

Love that story! Yep, I agree with everything you posted! It's not that hard!

I always wear regular khakis and a polo like pictured below and it seems to be the norm for most guys. However I do see older gentleman that will wear a tie and/or a button up shirt. Whatever you choose to wear, there will be others dressed like you. Don't worry about what other people think, just make sure you're comfortable and enjoy your cruise!

81tWNiCvDkL._UY550_.jpg

(No, that's not me)

Hey, how did you get my husband's picture? He wore this on our cruise.

We're not particularly "formal" types, but I usually wear a shirt, tie, and blazer on elegant night. Last cruise, for some reason we had our second elegant night on a port day. We just assumed elegant night would be on a sea day later in the week. We wore our every night dining clothes, which for me consists of khakis and a polo, or a nice Hawaiian shirt (think Tommy Bahama). We were seated before we discovered and verified that it was indeed elegant night.

My wife and I were mortified. That is, until we looked around and saw that we were still dressed better than half the room.

Next cruise, I don't know, but maybe I leave the coat and tie home.

You'll see the entire spectrum in the MDR...you will see people in tux's and ball gowns...but you will also see people in shorts....now while I personally like to dress up a bit and require my son and hubby to do the same (I shop / pack for them both, so they have little option lol) I am not one to give two craps about what someone else is wearing...now sure I might look over at another table and think "wow that guy is tacky" but that's are far as my interest or concern goes....

81tWNiCvDkL._UY550_.jpg

(No, that's not me)

Thanks for the pic Tek....

I would ask any guy out there, something similar to the above outfit is to difficult to wear for 2 evenings? seriously? No its not, those who rail against it are just being lazy. There was another dress code thread where a woman posted something to the effect of "Well my husband doesnt own any dress slacks"....:o....Go out and BUY a pair, they are about $20-25 if you catch them on sale. Is the reasoning that you can afford a $1500 - $3000 cruise vacation but cant afford a $20 pair of pants? LOL, nice try

Thanks for the pic Tek....

I would ask any guy out there, something similar to the above outfit is to difficult to wear for 2 evenings? seriously? No its not, those who rail against it are just being lazy. There was another dress code thread where a woman posted something to the effect of "Well my husband doesnt own any dress slacks"....:o....Go out and BUY a pair, they are about $20-25 if you catch them on sale. Is the reasoning that you can afford a $1500 - $3000 cruise vacation but cant afford a $20 pair of pants? LOL, nice try

I totally agree (and loved your story too lol) my hubby is a total biker, hard core mechanic who never dresses up in his normal life etc...and if he can manage to put on a shirt and a tee for our vacation so can anyone lol....and frankly who are the chicks who accept their men dressed like a slob lol.....guys remember "happy wife, happy life"...and yeah whenever I hear the "my bf/hubby doesn't own a dress shirt" or whatnot I think, does he ever attend a wedding, a funeral, anything at all??????????????? lol.....

I totally agree (and loved your story too lol) my hubby is a total biker, hard core mechanic who never dresses up in his normal life etc...and if he can manage to put on a shirt and a tee for our vacation so can anyone lol....and frankly who are the chicks who accept their men dressed like a slob lol.....guys remember "happy wife, happy life"...and yeah whenever I hear the "my bf/hubby doesn't own a dress shirt" or whatnot I think, does he ever attend a wedding, a funeral, anything at all??????????????? lol.....

famof4togo nailed it!!!! (y)

famof4togo nailed it!!!! (y)

yup! I'm a hands on down and dirty guy too. Masonry construction. I always come home, dusty and dirty. We're not " fancy people" per se, but I have no problem putting on some nice pants and a button down, and my favorite pink sport coat! I find it feels good to get cleaned up and wear something nice in lieu of m normal work attire. Seems to help set the mood for a nice dinner, wedding, whatever. But when it's over , i'm back to shorts and my flippy flops!

Hey, how did you get my husband's picture? He wore this on our cruise.

:') I just searched Google and found something similar to what I wear. I don't take no tie or jacket (I don't even own a tie or jacket). It's pants and a polo shirt so it's acceptable. I do own a lot of polos and I bought a pair of khakis just for cruising. I think I paid $5 for them on Poshmark. I literally only wear them on the 2 elegant nights on a cruise. The rest of they year they sit in my suitcase.

We're not particularly "formal" types, but I usually wear a shirt, tie, and blazer on elegant night. Last cruise, for some reason we had our second elegant night on a port day. We just assumed elegant night would be on a sea day later in the week. We wore our every night dining clothes, which for me consists of khakis and a polo, or a nice Hawaiian shirt (think Tommy Bahama). We were seated before we discovered and verified that it was indeed elegant night.

My wife and I were mortified. That is, until we looked around and saw that we were still dressed better than half the room.

Next cruise, I don't know, but maybe I leave the coat and tie home.

And..... you were dressed acceptable for elegant night, a jacket and tie are not required. I never even bring a jacket and tie

• 2 weeks later...

Out of respect for all as well as the request of the cruise line, we always attend "Elegant Night" wearing appropriate clothing (I wear a jacket and tie; my son a jacket and my wife and daughter dresses). My only complaint is that Carnival should either enforce Elegant Night or simply tell people it's a "suggestion" and let people dress as they like. On the Sunshine last year, I was wearing a suit and the people at the table next to us were wearing---not kidding-- baseball hats and basketball jersey's (tank tops) and shorts. Nobody said a word to them and they were served as if they were wearing Armani. And they weren't the only table wearing similar outfits. I know I would have been embarrassed had I worn that when the majority was dressed nicely, but that's just how I was raised. I also understand that many people may not own appropriate clothing and they also paid their money, so not sure if it's "fair" to ask them to leave either. I'd suggest a change in policy to make it a "suggestion" night for those who want to dress up and for those who don't, fine. I think this is why NCL just gave up and made every night come as you are. Regardless, how another dresses won't ruin our vacation as it's about "us" anyway. ;)

Out of respect for all as well as the request of the cruise line, we always attend "Elegant Night" wearing appropriate clothing (I wear a jacket and tie; my son a jacket and my wife and daughter dresses). My only complaint is that Carnival should either enforce Elegant Night or simply tell people it's a "suggestion" and let people dress as they like. On the Sunshine last year, I was wearing a suit and the people at the table next to us were wearing---not kidding-- baseball hats and basketball jersey's (tank tops) and shorts. Nobody said a word to them and they were served as if they were wearing Armani. And they weren't the only table wearing similar outfits. I know I would have been embarrassed had I worn that when the majority was dressed nicely, but that's just how I was raised. I also understand that many people may not own appropriate clothing and they also paid their money, so not sure if it's "fair" to ask them to leave either. I'd suggest a change in policy to make it a "suggestion" night for those who want to dress up and for those who don't, fine. I think this is why NCL just gave up and made every night come as you are. Regardless, how another dresses won't ruin our vacation as it's about "us" anyway. ;)

Yort, post is well stated, very respectful. I would just take serious exception to the highlited part above....For guys, that consists of a pair of dress slacks, a collared shirt and a pair of dress shoes. That is what, $80 if you bought that new....Some people will say "i dont own dress clothes" or even better " i cant afford to go out and buy new clothes"....Do they really want to argue they can afford a $1000 - $4000 for a cruise but cant spend $80 for what Carnival considers "Formal Wear"....nah, sorry, i aint buying that line ;)

Many land based restaurants won’t allow people who aren’t dressed properly, so why is it different on a ship? It’s only one or two nights, so if someone disagrees with the dress code they can always eat at the buffet or in their room. As for not being able to afford decent clothes, you can get some amazing deals at thrift or consignment stores. I’ve gotten designer sweaters and an authentic Gucci purse at thrift stores. You just have to look!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yort, post is well stated, very respectful. I would just take serious exception to the highlited part above....For guys, that consists of a pair of dress slacks, a collared shirt and a pair of dress shoes. That is what, $80 if you bought that new....Some people will say "i dont own dress clothes" or even better " i cant afford to go out and buy new clothes"....Do they really want to argue they can afford a $1000 - $4000 for a cruise but cant spend $80 for what Carnival considers "Formal Wear"....nah, sorry, i aint buying that line ;)

For $20 you can get a pair of khakis on Poshmark and a golf shirt or polo of some sort and be just fine. I know me personally, I am not going to spend any more than that on a pair of pants that I will only wear when I cruise. Yes, I wear khakis and a Nike golf shirt on elegant night and that's perfectly acceptable. Yes I can afford much more than that but why would I waste my money on a pair of pants that will stay in a suitcase from cruise to cruise? Not everyone likes playing dress up on a daily basis and has no need for those clothes any other time of the year.

I am genuinely surprised how many people do not have to dress at the minimal level Carnival requests for Elegant evenings (no shorts, no jeans, collared shirt). Do all of those people seriously wear shorts or jeans to work, weddings, and funerals? I don't mean any disrespect, just expressing my confusion on this.

NCL guidelines for "come as you are" do still have prohibited clothing items, just like Carnival does (although they might not enforce either), so it really isn't come as you are.

We try to dress within guidelines given wherever we go. If none are given try to apply common sense to the situation, and err on the side of being overdressed.

For $20 you can get a pair of khakis on Poshmark and a golf shirt or polo of some sort and be just fine. I know me personally, I am not going to spend any more than that on a pair of pants that I will only wear when I cruise. Yes, I wear khakis and a Nike golf shirt on elegant night and that's perfectly acceptable. Yes I can afford much more than that but why would I waste my money on a pair of pants that will stay in a suitcase from cruise to cruise? Not everyone likes playing dress up on a daily basis and has no need for those clothes any other time of the year.

Tec, we agree....u have your khakis, collared shirt and shoes. More than acceptable for formal evening based on Carnivals requirements. That is my point, it isn’t that hard to comply

Headed out on the Pride and this is a first cruise. I know that the dress code allows a sport coat and tie, but will I embarrass myself if this is what I wear? I don't want to look like a fool.

No, and there will be MANY people dressed up to the nines or something like what you want to wear.

I wore a tux for my first few cruises, and I still see them during formal nights, along with many dressed in a sport coat and tie.