Early dinner seating, late port excursions?

MaryCS62

We chose 530 seating because of one of our daughters and her special needs, but are looking at a few excursions that would get back after our scheduled time. We don't really want to do Windjammer (other daughter has celiac, so MDR is better), so has anyone else had experience with this?

We chose 530 seating because of one of our daughters and her special needs, but are looking at a few excursions that would get back after our scheduled time. We don't really want to do Windjammer (other daughter has celiac, so MDR is better), so has anyone else had experience with this?

Your choices are Windjammer, specialty restaurant, or change to MTD so you are not tied to a specific time.

To re-enforce Bob's answers ....

Option #1:

• Change to My Time Dining for the entire cruise.
  • Pre-reserve on your cruise planner on-line your My Time Dining reservations for 5:30pm 6 of the 7 nights
  • On the night you're back late in PC, book a later time on your cruise planner.
  • Now you're set for the week without a worry as all 7 nights are pre-booked before you get on board.

I'm confused though.... if your daughter cannot eat at any time past 5:30pm, how can you come back late that one day and still eat at a later hour? Will your daughter not be affected?

Option#2:

• Keep your regular traditional daily dining time at 5:30pm.
  • The day you're back late, plan to miss dining in the main dining room.
  • Eat at 5:30pm wherever you are on shore.

It happened to us on a couple of different RCI cruises (late return from excursion interfering with early dinner seating.) Both times, the evening before, we mentioned to our waiter/head waiter that we wouldn't be there and both times, they told us to come when we got back and we would be seated. We didn't ask; they volunteered and encouraged us to come. Our kids didn't have special diet concerns either. Talk to the staff. I suspect they will be able to help you out.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Forums mobile app

To re-enforce Bob's answers ....

Option #1:

• Change to My Time Dining for the entire cruise.
  • Pre-reserve on your cruise planner on-line your My Time Dining reservations for 5:30pm 6 of the 7 nights
  • On the night you're back late in PC, book a later time on your cruise planner.
  • Now you're set for the week without a worry as all 7 nights are pre-booked before you get on board.

I'm confused though.... if your daughter cannot eat at any time past 5:30pm, how can you come back late that one day and still eat at a later hour? Will your daughter not be affected?

Option#2:

• Keep your regular traditional daily dining time at 5:30pm.
  • The day you're back late, plan to miss dining in the main dining room.
  • Eat at 5:30pm wherever you are on shore.

A little more background -- for DH & I, MTD would be fine, as would Windjammer if that was the only option.

Older DD has epilepsy, CP, & Crohn's disease. Early dining means if she's tired, we can put her to bed -- seizures can be brought on by fatigue. CP means she uses a wheelchair for distances, so buffets are a little trickier just to navigate, although we've done it. Crohn's means we have to be careful of her diet, and I'm more confident of being able to get food for her specifications (ie, bland, steamed, low fat/fiber) in the MDR.

Younger DD has Celiac, so we're leery of buffets to begin with. Even if there is a dedicated gluten free section, not everyone respects that, and she feels safer in MDR. Also, with planned seating, we get same table/waitstaff, & during our last cruise, they were very attentive to her , & we don't feel like explaining the issue over & over.

Younger DD & DH are looking at an excursion in Port Canaveral that would get them back to the ship after 7, so wile older DD & I could eat at MDR at our usual time, they couldn't, & would prefer not to use Windjammers.

Older DD has epilepsy, CP, & Crohn's disease.

Gotcha! btw.... you are a saint! and I really hope your family have a great vacation :)

Sounds like MTD option #1 is your best choice as you can pre-book the exact 5:30pm time every night on your cruise planner, and also book the later 7:30pm time for one late night in PC. Have a great cruise

The MTD staff will let you request the same table each night if you like your waitstaff. If you have a positive experience the first night, then talk to them on your way out.

We have always been able to have the same wait staff for MTD (sometimes not the same table), no matter how much we varied our dinnertime reservations. We've used MTV for years - as long as it has been an option. I would change to MTD and explain to the dining room staff that having the same waiters is important.

If you can't get your desired MTD reservation time on-line, talk to the MTD desk when you board, and they should be able to help you make your needed adjustments.

As another poster has mentioned, it is common for an early seating/late returning cruise line excursion conflict to be accommodated by the MDR. Talk to your waiter the night before (he will probably bring the maitre d' into the discussion) and you will find that you will probably be told to come to the MDR when you return from the excursion.

Do not change to My Time Dining with your daughters' special diet needs. It will be easier for you with wait staff that will know their needs (their food choices will most likely be ordered the day before) and will have their food located and ready with the rest of the table's orders.

If you have not already done so, please make sure your reservation is marked with the special dietary needs for your daughters. Your travel agent can take care of this for you.

A little more background -- for DH & I, MTD would be fine, as would Windjammer if that was the only option.

Older DD has epilepsy, CP, & Crohn's disease. Early dining means if she's tired, we can put her to bed -- seizures can be brought on by fatigue. CP means she uses a wheelchair for distances, so buffets are a little trickier just to navigate, although we've done it. Crohn's means we have to be careful of her diet, and I'm more confident of being able to get food for her specifications (ie, bland, steamed, low fat/fiber) in the MDR.

Younger DD has Celiac, so we're leery of buffets to begin with. Even if there is a dedicated gluten free section, not everyone respects that, and she feels safer in MDR. Also, with planned seating, we get same table/waitstaff, & during our last cruise, they were very attentive to her , & we don't feel like explaining the issue over & over.

Younger DD & DH are looking at an excursion in Port Canaveral that would get them back to the ship after 7, so wile older DD & I could eat at MDR at our usual time, they couldn't, & would prefer not to use Windjammers.

I used to sail with my parents who had a number of special dietary needs and this always used to give me a cause for concern. So to share with you my experience ...

Having a chat the with restaurant manager on the first day really helped. Even if you have MTD, they can arrange to have the same table and waiter and you can book your slots just as if you were having traditional dinning. As you have special requirements, the restaurant manager will have greater involvement in my experience.

It is also important to contact special needs ahead of time with your requirements. This really helped with everything going smoothly once we were on board.

Key learning for me was to communicate, be flexible, negotiate rather than demand and rely on restaurant manager not the waiter when discussing requirements. Plus it helped to tip the restaurant manager in appreciation. One of few occasions when pre-tipping makes sense.

One final thought. Be prepared for the odd mishap or things not going to expectations.

As another poster has mentioned, it is common for an early seating/late returning cruise line excursion conflict to be accommodated by the MDR. Talk to your waiter the night before (he will probably bring the maitre d' into the discussion) and you will find that you will probably be told to come to the MDR when you return from the excursion.

Do not change to My Time Dining with your daughters' special diet needs. It will be easier for you with wait staff that will know their needs (their food choices will most likely be ordered the day before) and will have their food located and ready with the rest of the table's orders.

If you have not already done so, please make sure your reservation is marked with the special dietary needs for your daughters. Your travel agent can take care of this for you.

I hope this is the case. Celiac is already mentioned for the younger DD, but we didn't mention the Crohns, mainly because it isn't always an issue. Plus, the one with Crohn's has a fairly simple palate, so broiled fish, roast chicken, or plain steak + steamed veggies & plain rice or potato is not really a problem, & I think from the menus I've seen, I can always order from the "Classics" section for her. If all else fails, a plate of plain (ie, just butter, no sauce or gravy) macaroni will do the trick for her.:D

Again, even with the plain food that you want for your daughter, it will be easier if your waitstaff knows and they still might want to arrange her food order the day before.

For the daughter with celiac disease, with your reservation flagged, you might find that the ship on the first night has prepared appropriate food for celiacs and you will be told what the selection is for that night.