Is there a way to make payments on a drink package?

Ayebee

Its been awhile since I've sailed with RCI and on their ultimate package right now it says "20% off onboard prices" at $48/pp/pd. Does that mean the onboard price right now is 20% higher then $48?

It doesn't mean anything. Ignore any percent off claims, they are just pulling numbers out of you know where.Just look at the bottom line cost.

I got our UBP for $47 a day, I don't know how much the drinks are on Allure but I'm guessing only 4 alcoholic beverages to break even, plus several bottles of water, coffees, sodas. It's worth it for us.

I am a bit confused with the drink package. If you have the package and order a premium liquor do they just charge the difference?

I am a bit confused with the drink package. If you have the package and order a premium liquor do they just charge the difference?

Yes. So if a glass of wine is $14.50 and the package taps out at $12, you’ll sign a slip for $2.50

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you drink 7 alcoholic drinks a day...everyday you’re on the boat the deluxe package isn’t worth it. Average beverage is 10/14 bucks. Just food for thought

When I have the deluxe package I'm drinking a bunch of non alcoholic drinks as well... specialty coffee, smoothies, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottles of water and soda and those should really be taken into the equation. Especially if you know you would buy the refreshment package if you didn't have the deluxe drink package.

But I also paid $56.25 CDN per day for the drink package (about $45 usd) so your math doesn't check out either way

If you have to make payments on a drink package, that should tell you something....

Actually, I was thinking that when I read the initial post but figured it was none of my business. I was raised by Depression era parents. If you didn’t have the money to pay for something, you did without. Dad kept a separate bank account in which he put overtime money and tips from making deliveries. When there was enough, he could buy a new car.

Unless you drink 7 alcoholic drinks a day...everyday you’re on the boat the deluxe package isn’t worth it. Average beverage is 10/14 bucks. Just food for thought

Every case is different. I've recently purchased one (a) on sale, and (b) using some onboard credit that I really only needed to spend $30/day on drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). Even on shore days, that's beyond simple for me. So each person needs to do their own math for their own situation to figure out what they need to drink and if it's beneficial.

If you have to make payments on a drink package, that should tell you something....

Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to make payments on the purchases through Royal whether it be drink package, excursions, spa, special dining, etc. That is one of the things I miss about Disney. (we switched to Royal a few years ago when the price difference got to be ridiculous) I am not sure if it still works this way with them, but it used to be anything that you added just went to your cruise amount and then was due at the pay in full date. For my family, Royal would come out ahead if their system worked like that. I would likely end up booking more of these options when I initially purchased the cruise.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to make payments on the purchases through Royal whether it be drink package, excursions, spa, special dining, etc. That is one of the things I miss about Disney. (we switched to Royal a few years ago when the price difference got to be ridiculous) I am not sure if it still works this way with them, but it used to be anything that you added just went to your cruise amount and then was due at the pay in full date. For my family, Royal would come out ahead if their system worked like that. I would likely end up booking more of these options when I initially purchased the cruise.

You have always had to pay for shore excursions when you reserve them. You could never "put them on your account".

Insurance goes on your invoice.

Drink packages have only been around for a few years.

What else do you want to be put on your invoice?

You have always had to pay for shore excursions when you reserve them. You could never "put them on your account".

Insurance goes on your invoice.

Drink packages have only been around for a few years.

What else do you want to be put on your invoice?

I was just saying with Disney, the excursions were added to the account as was anything else - granted they didn't have a drink package, but back then it was unlimited BYOB.

I would like shore excursions, drink package, massages, specialty restaurant all to be part of the account. If they were, I would add drink package for adults and soda package for kids, 2 excursions, a massage for my wife and probably a second item at the spa as well, and at least one specialty restaurant - probably 2. All of those would add up to close to the cost of the cruise. Paying a little here and there since usually book 18 months+ in advance makes it easier to stomach.

Instead, we just end up with no specialty restaurants (and I have no intention to add them), a drink package when it went on sale (if I could have added it right away and paid over time I would have and wouldn't have paid enough attention to notice the sale and they would have gotten more $ from us) and just one of the cheaper excursions. We have decided to do another one on our own and stay on the ship at the third port. In total, Royal would have gotten several hundred more $ from us if it worked that way. Oh well, it is their policy and I will live by it.

With Disney excursions are paid for at the end of the cruise. Not as part of the full payment date. And there are many people who are irked by the huge bill at the end of the cruise from that policy! They would rather have it all paid for up front.

I would like shore excursions, drink package, massages, specialty restaurant all to be part of the account. If they were, I would add drink package for adults and soda package for kids, 2 excursions, a massage for my wife and probably a second item at the spa as well, and at least one specialty restaurant - probably 2. All of those would add up to close to the cost of the cruise. Paying a little here and there since usually book 18 months+ in advance makes it easier to stomach.

But...getting a drink package here and there, a specialty dining package every so often...that IS paying it off over time. Zero need to do it all at once.

While if they billed it all during the cruise (how Disney does it) that IS paying it all in one chunk.

With Disney excursions are paid for at the end of the cruise. Not as part of the full payment date. And there are many people who are irked by the huge bill at the end of the cruise from that policy! They would rather have it all paid for up front.

But...getting a drink package here and there, a specialty dining package every so often...that IS paying it off over time. Zero need to do it all at once.

While if they billed it all during the cruise (how Disney does it) that IS paying it all in one chunk.

No, it isn't the same. At least not to me. I don't want to pay for it all up front. I either want to add to my account over time or put it in a savings account and pay for it at the end. Those two options are basically the same for what I want.

Some people like me for example pay for things like cruises over time because we (I and people like me) hate paying one lump sum at a time. It’s not that I can’t afford to pay it upfront. It just feels less expensive paying over time verses a big one time payment. I personally am lot getting the drink package it’s just an observation.

Tells me a LOT of things....none of them favorable. ;);)

For the record, my initial post was made more due to a misunderstanding than anything else. I kept seeing posts about adding the drink package to your account at any time and then removing it and re-booking it if the price drops. I didn't realize folks were paying the full price whenever they did this as it sounded like something simply updated on the account. As I mentioned, the last time I cruised drink packages weren't a thing and I've never booked anything else, like shore excursions, dining, spas, etc. through a cruise line.

For the record, both my finances and my drinking habits are just fine! ;p

You could always call and add On Board Credit to your account every once in a while, to equal the approximate price of the drinks package, and then purchase on board. Of course, it may be more expensive on board, or maybe it isn't. As Bob pointed out, none of us really know for sure what those discounts are referring to!! Sort of a round about way of making payments on it.

Back when RC was converting CA to US$ at $1.10, we put a few hundred dollars on our account. Saved a few bucks, and was handy to not have a bill at the end. Of course RC has woken up to the exchange rates (wahhhh...) so I'm less inclined to do that now.

Some people like me for example pay for things like cruises over time because we (I and people like me) hate paying one lump sum at a time. It’s not that I can’t afford to pay it upfront. It just feels less expensive paying over time verses a big one time payment. I personally am lot getting the drink package it’s just an observation.

Its not just about feel good. It all comes down to the interest rate and if there is one. You should take 0% financing anytime and every time you can, regardless if you can afford to pay lump sum or not. Having your money sitting *anywhere* even an 0.5% checking account beats 0%, so its always a win.

Don't laugh, but one year, in the months leading up to a trip to Vegas, my husband picked up any scrap metal he found on the side of the road, He sold it to a local metal recycling place. It helped the environment, and he ended up getting us an extra $600 to take to Vegas!