Multiple appetizers or desserts

vent1020

With my upcoming cruise, I'd like to make sure I am on top of this before getting aboard and trying it out. So, I have seen threads in the past talk about ordering multiple appetizers or desserts in the specialty restaurants. I remember reading that the consensus was that you could only order one entree but I saw some people say that they could only order one appetizer or one dessert and others that say that you could order multiple.

So my question is for anyone that's sailed recently, can you or can you not order multiple appetizers or desserts at the specialty restaurants. I'm talking as part of the UDP, not A La Cart and paying for it.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to get a definitive answer. Even if someone tells you what their experience was last week it won't necessarily be the experience you will have. Even in the same restaurant on the same ship.

First, the facts. In the T&C's of the SDP, as per the NCL website, this is what it says in the UK site:

"Charges will apply for additional main course orders."

On the US site, I believe it says something similar, but certainly refers to an additional charge for more than one entree.

A literal (and legal, if we are going to go there) reading of this would almost certainly be that, as it specifically states a limit on entrees, but no other course is mentioned this must mean that the other courses are not limited.

However, experiences onboard are rather more mixed. Many people have reported no problems ordering multiple starters and desserts. Others have reported being told they will be charged, but it not actually happening. Others have reported being told that they will be charged but arguing the point and being told that they wouldn't. The least common report, as far as I can tell, is of people actually being charged, but whether that is because they didn't bother ordering, I don't know.

So, all we can say is that you shouldn't be charged for multiple apps and desserts, and you probably won't. But nobody can say for sure that they won't say that they will charge, and if they do it still seems that they may not charge anyway.

My suggestion is to order what you want and, if you intend to order more than one app or dessert then take along a copy of the T&C's and decide for yourself whether you will want to argue the point or not. Whether you decide to accept the situation if they do charge is up to you, but from what I have been able to tell it is unlikely to come to that.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to get a definitive answer. Even if someone tells you what their experience was last week it won't necessarily be the experience you will have. Even in the same restaurant on the same ship.

First, the facts. In the T&C's of the SDP, as per the NCL website, this is what it says in the UK site:

"Charges will apply for additional main course orders."

On the US site, I believe it says something similar, but certainly refers to an additional charge for more than one entree.

A literal (and legal, if we are going to go there) reading of this would almost certainly be that, as it specifically states a limit on entrees, but no other course is mentioned this must mean that the other courses are not limited.

However, experiences onboard are rather more mixed. Many people have reported no problems ordering multiple starters and desserts. Others have reported being told they will be charged, but it not actually happening. Others have reported being told that they will be charged but arguing the point and being told that they wouldn't. The least common report, as far as I can tell, is of people actually being charged, but whether that is because they didn't bother ordering, I don't know.

So, all we can say is that you shouldn't be charged for multiple apps and desserts, and you probably won't. But nobody can say for sure that they won't say that they will charge, and if they do it still seems that they may not charge anyway.

My suggestion is to order what you want and, if you intend to order more than one app or dessert then take along a copy of the T&C's and decide for yourself whether you will want to argue the point or not. Whether you decide to accept the situation if they do charge is up to you, but from what I have been able to tell it is unlikely to come to that.

Thanks for the reply and this is basically what I read several months ago. I was just hoping that there was a definitive answer by now. Most likely I will only order one of each, but wanted to know just in case two things looked good and I can't decide. ;p

Thanks for the reply and this is basically what I read several months ago. I was just hoping that there was a definitive answer by now. Most likely I will only order one of each, but wanted to know just in case two things looked good and I can't decide. ;p

The answer is exactly the same as it has been since a la carte was introduced back in 2015. I wouldn’t expect a more definite one any time soon. The current situation is basically what I would expect from NCL (there are rules, but they aren’t consistently applied).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would anyone want to order "multiple" desserts and appetizers anyway? We've witnessed people order multiple plates, take one bite out of each and leave the rest. What a waste. No wonder cruise prices are increasing at an alarming rate.

Why would anyone want to order "multiple" desserts and appetizers anyway? We've witnessed people order multiple plates, take one bite out of each and leave the rest. What a waste. No wonder cruise prices are increasing at an alarming rate.

To be honest, rarely have.

There is one time that I do though. I love the soup at Le Bistro, but also I can’t go without the Escargot there. I always order both. Never stops me finishing everything else I order.

I’d happily skip dessert (and sometimes do), as long as I get those two.

When we go to a land based restaurant we usually order multiple apps to go with our entrees. Not really an uncommon practice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I do, but I actually eat it all.

Why would anyone care if somebody orders a starter and a salad? Or Three starters and no entree? Or whatever they want?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because you can't decide which one sounds good? Why is that seem like such a hard thing to understand? :rolleyes: And I'm not saying order multiple appetizers AND order multiple desserts.(Although if someone wants to and as long as they can finish it, more power to them.)

I agree that ordering multiple items and not finishing them is a waste but I was taught from when I was young to only take what you can eat and that is what I do. I always finish what I order.

Not everyone who orders multiples wastes them. At Le Bistro I order -- and eat -- the Mushroom soup and the grilled asparagus and sometimes have them add the grilled asparagus to my entree as well. My husband orders and eats a double order of escargot and also has the mushroom soup as well as grilled asparagus. We often add ice cream to our dessert.

I’m not big on desserts so one is more than enough but I love the appetizers in fact I love them more than the dinner usually. So I sit there and tell the waiter I can’t decide between the two favorite appetizers and since the waiters don’t like to spend a lot of time at the table they always suggest that I get both. They never mention money because they probably don’t want me to take even longer deciding which appetizer I want. HeHeHe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So does my wife. I'm talking about people who order multiple plates just because they are entitled to them. If you can eat them that's great but many people just sample them - that's waste. The same holds true for drinks. At any one time there's dozens and dozens of full drinks sitting around everywhere that have been abandoned for various reasons. But what the heck, if you have the UBP they're free. And if you want to talk about real waste there's the buffet. The amount of food that's thrown out every sitting is disgusting. There's no need to take a plate full of a certain item to sample it only to discover you don't like it. I also question the parenting skill of some cruisers who allow small children to take heaping plates of food that Joey Chestnut couldn't eat. The buffet shouldn't be used for entertainment but it is by some parents.

I think the confusion on this wasn't with the use of the SDP- that was pretty clear that you COULD order multiple apps and desserts, but just one entree. BUT when using the vouchers from Latitudes Platinum status, the fine print stated just one of each (app, entree, dessert). There were conflicting reports on whether it was enforced. But I haven't heard of anyone being denied this when using the regular SDP dining plan you can either purchase or chose as a booking perk.

I think the confusion on this wasn't with the use of the SDP- that was pretty clear that you COULD order multiple apps and desserts, but just one entree. BUT when using the vouchers from Latitudes Platinum status, the fine print stated just one of each (app, entree, dessert). There were conflicting reports on whether it was enforced. But I haven't heard of anyone being denied this when using the regular SDP dining plan you can either purchase or chose as a booking perk.

No, the confusion is absolutely regarding the SDP.

The latitudes perk is clear, and the reports are very consistent, with people almost always getting charged if they go over the limits.

With the SDP, there have been many reports of staff saying other dishes are limited, although whether they actually charge or not again seems fairly inconsistent.

No, the confusion is absolutely regarding the SDP.

The latitudes perk is clear, and the reports are very consistent, with people almost always getting charged if they go over the limits.

With the SDP, there have been many reports of staff saying other dishes are limited, although whether they actually charge or not again seems fairly inconsistent.

This is our experience too as PP and even Ambassador. We are very careful to follow the rules.

I’m not big on desserts so one is more than enough but I love the appetizers in fact I love them more than the dinner usually. So I sit there and tell the waiter I can’t decide between the two favorite appetizers and since the waiters don’t like to spend a lot of time at the table they always suggest that I get both. They never mention money because they probably don’t want me to take even longer deciding which appetizer I want. HeHeHe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love this. Thank Jana. Think I'll try that. :D

We do and we share them.