So confused about Amber Cove?

luckynumber6

So in my experience with cruising with a family, I can always find TONS of recommendations or hints through Cruise Critic. Has everyone just given up on posting about Amber Cove? We will be there in June on Horizon. There is really a minimum of current information on Amber Cove on the port boards or even here. Has anyone recently been there?

I get that it might not be everyone's favorite, BUT I will be there with my 5 kids age ( 21-15)...Staying on the ship will not really be an option as they will want to get off. We budget our expenses so looking for biggest bang for our buck to say...I THINK from what I read that many just stay at the pool. Any current pictures? What is best to do while hanging at the pool? My family is pretty active and they simply do not sit at a pool well all day.:)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide...just so weird that there is not much current info...

To reply to my own post..I did find a bit more chat about Amber Cove in Dominican Republic boards. I did not really think to look there as was looking under section titled Amber Cove and private island...Still very minimal. Any help still will be loved?

We really liked the Outback Dominical Adventures with Lunch, and our kids (16 and 18 at the time) did so too, in fact, for my youngest it was his favorite excursion on this cruise. It is a little bit of everything, we learned a bit about the country, followed by a nice lunch and then we enjoyed boogieboarding at a beautiful beach. For those that did not want to swim they set up a massage station. For us, it was a really nice day.

"You'll walk through a quaint countryside home, meet the family that lives there, and visit a local school (subject to local school holidays) that will be a truly eye opening experience. A tasty lunch and drinks are included. The last stop of the day is at a beautiful secluded beach where you'll get the chance to ride the waves as you try your hand at boogie boarding."

It is definitely not a private Island though, but I think it is a Carnival developed port. We`re returning there this year and I am struggling to find something else for us so I will watch this thread too!

Thank you everyone...I must say weirdest port ever to find as info is posted in like 4 different boards...I have found the most success with the Dominican Republic board then search Amber Cove..

I think a lot of people like me see the Amber Cove board under ports then assume all there...then eventually find others.

Still not much info out there so if you have been there recently would love to hear what you thought or did...

We did the Outback Dominican Adventure with lunch this past December and for the most part enjoyed it. The only negative comment I would make is beware if you decide to take supplies to the local school when stopping there on this excursion. If you take supplies, I highly recommend making sure your excursion guide knows you have them. I was mobbed by more than 50, unattended, unsupervised children once inside the gates to the school. They literally ripped open the gym style bag I had brought to carry the supplies, grabbed everything out of the bag and totally ripped up the bag. Of course, once this activity began, I let go of the bag as soon as possible but it was tricky to even do so since I had the strap wrapped around my arm. The excursion guide later told me that I should have told him that I was bringing supplies. I kind of think the excursion guide should have asked since this excursion advertises the donations effort. Other than that, the excursion was a nice and fun experience.

I have posted the following many times: Amber Cove is a Carnival built port site located on the Atlantic side of the DR outside of Puerto Plata. There is no beach at the port. On my 1st vacation to the DR, I stayed in Puerto Plata and it wasn't my best DR experience at all. Two and maybe 3 star hotels, coarse yellow brown sand beaches with dark gray Atlantic waters like Coney Island. I visited Ocean World as it was maybe 50% completed, as well as 2 adjoining towns of Sosua and Caberete, those were nicer than Puerto Plata.

Carnival has some excursions leaving Amber Cove for ATV's, and waterfalls, the OP may want to check those out for her active family. When the Horizon visits in May, we'll probably stay on the ship. This is not a blast against the Dominican Republic btw. We've stayed in Dreams LaRomana, as well as spent maybe 10 weeks in various AI hotels along the Punta Cana beaches, which IMO, put Puerto Plata's to shame..

Can you tell that we are not fans of Carnival cookie cutter built ports, like AC or Mahogany Bay, We get through the immediate port areas of Costa Maya and Playa Langosta in Coz as quickly as possible. JMO, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob

We did the Outback Dominican Adventure with lunch this past December and for the most part enjoyed it. The only negative comment I would make is beware if you decide to take supplies to the local school when stopping there on this excursion. If you take supplies, I highly recommend making sure your excursion guide knows you have them. I was mobbed by more than 50, unattended, unsupervised children once inside the gates to the school. They literally ripped open the gym style bag I had brought to carry the supplies, grabbed everything out of the bag and totally ripped up the bag. Of course, once this activity began, I let go of the bag as soon as possible but it was tricky to even do so since I had the strap wrapped around my arm. The excursion guide later told me that I should have told him that I was bringing supplies. I kind of think the excursion guide should have asked since this excursion advertises the donations effort. Other than that, the excursion was a nice and fun experience.

Great advice. I've read where many well meaning tourists bring supplies, only to have the local kids play hookey from school to get those supplies and then go sell them to help support their families. Or fights break out amongst the kids to see who can get the most.

Listening to a local guide on how donations are handled seems like the best way to go.

Do an Advanced Search for keywords Amber Cove, for search by user name angela12345, and for select one or more forums Search All Open Forums.

I have done several posts about Amber Cove that are fairly long. I think this thread has the most recent one, and I think is the most consolidated . . .

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2558202&highlight=amber+cove

Another search to try is keywords Amber Cove, then instead of search entire posts, change it to search titles only, and search all open forums. This way you will get all threads that have Amber Cove in the title, no matter where they are located, lol

search.JPG.e58d685cd5561e7ef41fccb59936d6ed.JPG

Edited by angela12345
  • Like 1

All of this is so AWESOME! Thanks again everyone...I had been reading boards for hours, but found more info quickly from all of you..again the cruise critic community saves the day!

BTW - think we are doing taxi/van/waterfalls/shopping for vanilla/then pool... all from your suggestions.

Can you request or contact a certain driver that any of you have used before or simply random?

Just returned from a Carnival Sunshine cruise and the ship was redirected to Amber Cove instead of Grand Turk due to a medical emergency. As far as the port goes, it is like we visited an exclusive resort. There is a swimming pool, water slides, basketball and a zip line. There is plenty of seating every where. In addition, there are about 20 shops that you can visit. The grounds are immaculate and we found no damage from the hurricanes. If you would rather, you can purchase island excursions and they can be purchased just as you enter the grounds. If you just want to visit, rest and take in the views, it can cost you nothing. Been to many other ports and certainly was not disappointed with Amber Cove.

If you want, send me an E-mail and I will send you pictures.

richffret@gmail.com

Love the waterfalls (booked privately) at Amber Cove, though it is not for the faint of heart or for those that don't want a 45 min uphill hike on a muddy trial through the rain forest! Our boys were a teen and tween at the time so no issue. But definitely would not pass OHSHA standards in the US!

Look at Puerto Plata on TA website. Tons and tons of things to do. This is a beautiful lush island (if you like Roatan, you will like it here) with much to see. Staying in the port is a waste IMHO - its just like ever other port CCL has built, and there is no beach due to the rocky shore. Get out and explore!

Love the waterfalls (booked privately) at Amber Cove, though it is not for the faint of heart or for those that don't want a 45 min uphill hike on a muddy trial through the rain forest! Our boys were a teen and tween at the time so no issue. But definitely would not pass OHSHA standards in the US!

Look at Puerto Plata on TA website. Tons and tons of things to do. This is a beautiful lush island (if you like Roatan, you will like it here) with much to see. Staying in the port is a waste IMHO - its just like ever other port CCL has built, and there is no beach due to the rocky shore. Get out and explore!

My family did the waterfall tour (private tour) at Amber Cove also (2 adults, 10 year old daughter). While I enjoyed the excursion and would recommend it to other people, it is probably not something I would do again. They did give people the option of only doing half the falls (so then only half the hike uphill and half the waterfalls down). We chose to do them all. I also didn't want to jump off any cliffs so I was able to take a ladder down instead (although I'm not really sure if that was any safer haha).

Like the person quoted said, it wouldn't pass OHSHA standards in the US but the guides do a great job at keeping you as safe as they can. It one of those things where I am glad I did it once but would be fine skipping it next time we go there.

Does anyone remember the drink prices around the pool area ?

Is there food available?

We are planning on spending the day at the pool while in Amber Cove.

Thank you' date='

Carla[/quote']

We were there in November. Basic mixed/frozen drinks (Pina Coladas, Daiquiris etc) were $8. I believe beer was $5. You can get larger/sharable drinks or more top shelf booze for anywhere from about $15-$30 (for the larger shared fishbowl type drinks)

Yes, there is a bar/restaurant that serves food. We didn't try the food so I can't comment on the quality and don't recall the prices. It's called the Coco Cana, you may be able to find a menu online somewhere.

Hope that helps!

Here is my post from another thread about the waterfalls.

Was at Amber Cove last December. Grabbed a Taxi and went to the Damajagua Waterfalls. Choice of doing 27, 12, or 7 of the waterfalls. We did 12. I would suggest 12 only, as time to do all 27 might take too long. Besides, guides said the best part of the river is doing the 12, or even the last 7 ( last 7 was the best part).

Anyway, total cost for 4 of us was $180._____ Breakdown of costs, Taxi, $100 for the round trip (they wait there for you to come back). Was about a 45 minute ride to the Store/ Lockers Stand. Paid $8 pp for the 12 waterfalls. Paid $4 per locker to store belongings (2 people per locker). They gave us 2 guides for the 4 of us (must have thought we would need help, which we did). Walked up river through the woods for about 45 minutes (the guides kept saying 20 minutes, 20 Dominican minutes). When done, which it was a blast, gave each guide a $20 tip. Total cost = $180 for 4, $45 each.

I belive Carnival offers it for around $100 each adult.

It was a great excusion and took us about 4 hours RT. Still had time to sit by the pool and relax.

Here is a story/ review about the Waterfalls.https://www.lonelyplanet.com/dominican-republic/puerto-plata/travel-tips-and-articles/take-the-plunge-the-27-waterfalls-of-damajagua/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d277e6e1

Here is the website for the Waterfalls. http://www.27charcos.com/index.php

We had a great time and would do it again. Very safe.

There's a restaurant right next to the pool. We ordered coconut shrimp. Got about 8 pieces of shrimp for $12 (I think). We spent entire day in the pool and had a table with $20 umbrella. I heard that the zip line, which is directly above the pool, is around $12 pp for unlimited rides. Not sure about drink prices since we didn't order anything to drink. Great day!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We went to Amber Cove in June 2017, and did the 12 Waterfalls tour with Iguana Mama. We loved it, but I've since read reports that it can be more dangerous during a rainy season. Iguana Mama was awesome, the van there was crowded but the guides were fun and friendly. You hike a bit in the jungle, and the river water is just cool enough to be refreshing.

We rented a hillside cabana and it was perfect - close to the zip line and slides plus the pool is available. We loved our low key day at Amber Cove.

We have rented a hillside cabana for the day as the pool cabanas were sold out.

Looking forward to the day on the hill and zip lines. Is the cabana really that difficult to get to? A lot of comments are very negative to the hill side cabanas.

Thank you