Thinking of Trying Norwegian.. Questions

MissCruiseAddict

We've cruised primarily on Carnival too and liked it just fine. A few years ago I found an amazing deal on NCL to the Western Med. and jumped on it. We also were offered a paid upgrade about a week before the sailing to the Haven (this was before the bidding thing). I actually turned down the upgrade but had them leave a note on my account that if they were willing to sell it to me for X$, I'd take it. They called back and offered it to me for my price. Anyway, yes we were in the Haven and it certainly had it advantages, but that's not what made it a great cruise. WE LOVED the freedom to eat whenever we wanted where ever we wanted. There are so many dining choices on NCL I think we only ate in the MDR one time. I get that you want to make a connection with your server, but seriously to have so many options tips the scale in favor of NCL.

Yes, there was plenty of trivia.

If the price is right, try it-I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I like the freestyle dining. Had some bad experiences years ago sitting at a table of 8 with some not-so-nice strangers which made for a very uncomfortable dining experience. Plus you're stuck with them for the entire week. Love NCL open dining prgram and will never go back to assigned seating again. I could take a tour and dine at 5, or take a nap after tour and eat later. See a show first and dine at 9. Hate a structured environment when I'm on vacation.

As far as meeting new people, we have met some fabulous fellow passengers.

This is something that gets waaaayyyy over complicated.

1. You can make reservations for the same dining room at the same time every night if you wish. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from doing this.

2. If you like a particular server, just ask the hostess to be seated in their section. You may have to stand aside briefly or, speak to the hostess ahead of time. They really don't bounce crew around randomly.

3. There is no rushing or pressure from a second seating. If you're early...you're early. If you're late...you're late & you aren't stuck at the buffet.

4. Norwegian's Night Out is the dress up day which is the second or so night.

Once you do Freestyle, you'll find that set dining times never align with your daily plans and become more of a burden than an convenience.

Why are Americans so opposed to "eating with strangers?" It wouldn't kill you to chat with other passengers. It's actually quite interesting, you've got people from all walks of life on cruise ships. Makes for good conversation.

I don't believe anyone has said or indicated they are opposed to eating with strangers, whether American, African, Indian or anything else. What is a bad situation is,when you have assigned seating as in the past and you are stuck for 7 days or longer with someone you have nothing in common with. And yes, it happens often. :confused:

between M&Gs and assigned seating we have made lasting friends if only via email. Yes, assigned seating can be very interesting and fun, but it can be very disappointing as well. This isn't saying people are opposed to assigned seating.

That's a shame on the dining times. We always enjoy having the same wait staff every night.

If you want the same wait staff, just go to the same dinning room and request to sit in Mr xyz section. You still get to pick what ever time you want to eat, but can have the same waitstaff. We did this on our last cruise most of the time. We had a waiter that was amazing with our kids, as they were the same age as his. So after the first night, we asked to be seated in his section each time and they had no problem with our request.

There are good strangers and there are strange strangers.

I have cruised with my mom and sis. We are VERY social.

Most experiences dining with strangers has been great. But a couple of bad experiences go a long way.

There was the time we were seated with strangers and a couple were from one of the suburbs of our hometown and we still talk by email... great couple. But there was also a gentleman at our table who complained he was sick from his daughter keeping the air too cold in the cabin. He proceeded to sneeze all over his hands, wiped them on the front of the shirt and before I noticed he handed the breadbasket to my mother. Within a few days she was sidelined to the cabin with bronchitis.

There are also instances where people eat like they're at a trough and it's gross.

But the funniest is night we sat with this nice older couple. We asked how they had met and she proceeded to go on in graphic nature about how on their first date he had been so great in bed. She used some pretty explicit language and I just looked at my mom and we had to hold back from just cracking up laughing.

I'd say the best way to dine with strangers is to meet people in line and strike up a conversation and then suggest dining together if you think it would be a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

100% agree. It's great to meet people at the bar, where you can get up and move if you want or stay and become friends. And we've met great people cruising at the bars. But at dinner, you are stuck. You mentioned sneezing, I am also grossed out at people openly coughing on the table. Then there are the people that talk with their mouths full, want to argue over politics, the list goes on and on. Even at Teppanaki, it's a crapshoot. First time there was a woman upset over something, not sure what, but she wiped tears away throughout the dinner. I felt bad for her. Next time, when they asked about any allergies, one man at the table thought it was appropriate to say he was allergic to ugly fat women. Ugh! So that is why eating with strangers is not always a fun experience.

Even Next time, when they asked about any allergies, one man at the table thought it was appropriate to say he was allergic to ugly fat women.

I would have literally laughed out loud if I overheard that at my table due to the sheer ridiculousness of such a comment. But then again, I have a good sense of humor. 😉

I do too, but it was just an odd thing to say when you don't know the people you are sitting with. And, he needed a mirror. When it got to my turn, I was going to say I was allergic to short balding men, but I took the high road....

Dinner is a much harder and difficult time to make small talk no getting up after salad to chat with someone new. It feels too much like work. Plus if I want to eat three desserts and apps only I don’t want any judgement...plus we want vacation time to be at least in part couple time...dinner is about catching up..

Why are Americans so opposed to "eating with strangers?" It wouldn't kill you to chat with other passengers. It's actually quite interesting, you've got people from all walks of life on cruise ships. Makes for good conversation.

Like others have said, there are good and bad strangers. It's a roll of dice, and sometimes you just don't want to take the chance. I'll happily strike up conversations with strangers in all sorts of situations, but always in places where I can just get up and walk away rather than being stuck for so long.

Re the question about favorite specialty dining restaurants - I don't think you can go wrong with either Cagney's or Moderno. Both are yummy, particularly if you're a big meat eater. Personally I think NCL does specialty dining wonderfully and would get a package and try multiple ones :)

Two thumbs up. One of the things that I like about cruising is meeting other people and talking with them. Going on my first Norwegian cruise in many years. Have you recently been sailing celebrity and they have anytime dining. We always request to sit at a larger table unless that night we're feeling like we just want to be by ourselves. It's nice to have the flexibility.

Just got back from first NCL cruise after having done two Carnival and one RCCL. Carnival and NCL are very much alike with very small differences such as freestyle dining and needing reservations for shows. The only differences that I really found are NCL (Epic anyway) has bands/live music in almost every bar, Carnival has better food choices in Guy's Burgers and the burrito bar and NCL has the best desserts! The "fun" atmosphere is the same on both NCL and Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Americans are not so opposed to eating with strangers as to wanting to pick the strangers we eat dinner with. If we are at a bar and strike up a conversation with someone or on a shore excursion and meet someone nice we will suggest meeting up for dinner. Of course I don't speak for everyone but most of us want just a little bit of information or contact with someone before committing to spend a few hours with them.