Help with voom please

goldgirl2

My sister has suffered a serious stroke. I will need to keep in contact with my family. My phone is through Verizon. I will need to send and receive texts and phone calls. I will be on Freedom. I have no knowledge of using voom. What are my best and least expensive options?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simple solution. I have Verizon too.

Get the wifi package. Keep your phone in airplane mode and connect to the ships wifi.

Go to your iPhone settings, then choose "phone" and turn on your "wifi calling". It's totally free. You can do this in advance, I leave mine on all the time. My reception at home isn't great and my wifi strengthens my reception)

You will now be able to make/receive calls and texts for free just like you're at home. Wifi calling can go in and out based on the wifi signal strength but I had cell phone usage on Harmony about 80% of the time.

Ive done this all over the world on wifi with no charges. The key is keeping your phone in airplane mode.

You can practice at home by making sure wifi calling is on (do this before putting in airplane mode) putting airplane mode on and then connecting to your home wifi. You will see you can use your phone as normal with no cell signal.

VOOM is just a fancy name for Wi-Fi on Rccl ships that is allegedly fast. Anyway, you can purchase a package through your planner. Sometimes they run a special with a drink package. If it goes down in price, cancel and repurchase. Your original purchase will be refunded.

Always put your cellphone in airplane mode to prevent roaming charges, no matter your carrier. While in airplane mode, connect to Wi-Fi and follow the instructions for logging on. You will provided with this info.

If your phone has Wi-Fi calling (practice at home to make sure before leaving), enable wifi calling and then you will be able to call and text just like you are at home. If you don't have Wi-Fi calling, use messaging apps like Facebook messenger, whatzapp, etc. To do your messing and calling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

My sister has suffered a serious stroke. I will need to keep in contact with my family. My phone is through Verizon. I will need to send and receive texts and phone calls. I will be on Freedom. I have no knowledge of using voom. What are my best and least expensive options?

Enable WiFi calling on your phone now. If you don't know how to do this, contact Verizon.

Once on the ship, buy the VOOM package, put your phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, connect to the ship's VOOM service, and your phone will be able send/receive calls and texts.

We have Verizon too with an unlimited data plan. I also believe if you want to make calls from the islands, you need to sign up for their International Travel Pass ahead of time. Then when you use your phone in a port, it will work. There is a $10 a day fee for this, however. But you only pay on days you use it.

So if you go St Kitts on Tuesday and use the phone to make calls, you are charged $10 for that day. If you are in Labadee the next day and don't use phone you aren't charged for that day.

Just did t want you to find out your phone didn't work when you need it to.

Have a wonderful trip! I hope your sister is ok!

Thank you! She had brain surgery and it was very scary for a while. She is starting to improve but still has trach in. I will definitely be calling to check in her everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Improvement is good. I wish you and your sister and the whole family strength and healing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone and am having problems with the previous instructions. When I turn on WIFI calling and Airplane mode, I am able to text, but when I try to make a call, I get a message that calling is not possible unless I get out of Airplane mode. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Ken,

If you turned airplane mode on after enabling WiFi calling, it probably turned WiFi back off by default. After enabling airplane mode, go back into WiFi and enable it. I just tried this on my S7 and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're operating system is up to date, Airplane Mode will no longer automatically turn off wifi or bluetooth.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone and am having problems with the previous instructions. When I turn on WIFI calling and Airplane mode, I am able to text, but when I try to make a call, I get a message that calling is not possible unless I get out of Airplane mode. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

When you say you were able to text, exactly what kind of texting did you mean? SMS, MMS, WhatsApp, some other internet based texting app?

To Mickey_Maniac: You solved my problem. WiFi had indeed turned off after activating Airplane mode. Easy fix.

To Host Clarea: You asked just enough questions to embarrass me as I don’t know whether I use SMS or MMS. I know it is not either of the others you list.

Thanks all!

That would mean you are not connected to your carrier’s network over WiFi. It may take a minute or two after turning WiFi calling on before the phone connects to your carrier. You will know when you see your carrier on the display like you would when connected through a cell tower. I have ATT and when I’m on WiFi calling my display shows “AT&T WiFi”. If all you see is the WiFi symbol, you are not on WiFi calling.

Wifi calling isn't always consistent, in my experience. If anyone needs a back-up plan for calls and texting, Google Voice allows you to use the wifi connected to your phone to do so. Most people already have a Google account but you can set up a Google Voice number that uses wifi. You can download the GV app and make calls and texts directly through it. Easy peasy.