QM2 not what it is made out to be

chloe kitty

The flu (Influenza Type A) was pretty much everywhere in December and January. It isn't hype. It just was. The shot effectiveness in the end is only up to 30% this year, and the outbreak hit several months earlier than normal. I traveled to an extremely popular vacation spot this year in December twice and in January once - Orlando (Disney World). Influenza was rampant. The urgent care and the hospitals were full. It was - as verified by health care workers in Central Fla) the worst they had seen in at least a decade.

Yes it was likely bad on QM2 - but my understanding is that it was quite horrible on the Disney ships also (though I was only on land for these trips) and a few people mentioned they ran into vacationers on other lines which were just rampant with influenza like they had not ever seen. Except for the CDC statistics this is all anecdotal but it fits with the news about this particular season. It was bad. It is abating slightly but influenza is still there. The reason one gets a shot in October is because the season starts approaching shortly afterwards. That is not rocket science.

I did not get sick. But then again I touch nothing. No handles, stair rails, elevator buttons - nothing. I wash hands and use sanitizer. I get the flu shot. I assume one reason influenza is rampant at places like Disney and on QM2 is due to susceptible populations - the young at one, the elderly at the other. The reality is - if you are on a ship with an average age over 60 then that is the prime age for very bad flu infections - again CDC stats. If you travel in places with many young children - again, prime flu carriers. If you travel during the holidays (Dec - Jan) as the flu season is kicking up - you must be triply careful of your surroundings. I don't think QM2 is a sick shop any more than Disney is a sick resort, or airlines are sickness incubators. There are so many other factors. And many people just don't want to think about the fact they are not careful, they are at the age when flu can really do damage, and that the hygienic regimen they are following just is not enough. Wash your hands, be aware of everything around you, and quit blaming a ship.

I always agreed with you, Pepper. The QM2 was the best ship I ever sailed upon. My husband and I sailed last Christmas and I have to tell you we were very disappointed. Something has changed. The food was one of the worst I ever experienced on any ship and i have sailed on many cruise ships over the years. As far as the QM2 being a sick ship, at Christmas time a horrible cough and cold seemed to be everywhere. Even the crew was ill. I cannot tell you the exact number of ill passengers, but after the third day I spent the entire cruise in my cabin. i am not certain if it was the flu but everywhere I turned passengers were coughing. I missed many dinners and did not disembark at any time until New York. My husband caught it from me but did not seem as debilitated as I was. We loved the QM2. The crew is the best, the service is wonderful, but it isn't what it used to be.
Hi sand dollar26,

Thank you sincerely :) . I am very concerned on reading your comments, so sorry to read that you had such a disappointing and poor time on board. I was last on board QM2 in Nov/Dec 2016 and standards were as they had always been. Although I was in QG, I heard nothing around the ship from other passengers to indicate that things were less than they should have been. So very sorry to read that you didn't have a similar recent experience.

I've very recently (last week) been on board QE (QG) and came down with a cold and cough after a couple of days on board. I noted a couple of other passengers also had similar symptoms. I know it was "man flu" but it did make me feel pretty dreadful for the last few days of the cruise, and somewhat spoiled my enjoyment of excursions ashore. Thankfully it was short lived and has now cleared up.

QE is my second favourite ship (I needn't tell you number 1), the service was superb and almost faultless everywhere I went on board. The ship was well maintained, and I saw almost constant cleaning in all the public rooms.

I am about to book another TA (in Britannia grade) on QM2 for next year, I hope I find things far better than you did; again, so sorry to read that your experience at Christmas was less than we've come to expect.

All best wishes.

Hi Cats2010, we just disembarked QM2 - fortunately very FEW coughing passengers on this ship [emoji6] so chloe kitty would be much relieved to know that her sick ship is now quite well.

Perhaps it’s the Aussie sunshine ☀️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, Porky :hearteyes:!

Dear axelskater,

Thank you for your well written report about the flu vague, which I find very informative and helpful. Unfortunately, there is little one can do (shots not necessarily helpful, since viruses adapt themselves easily to a new environment). It's "in the air". According to official and prominent institutes and as far as I know, the flu has now exceeded the peak.

I cannot but point out again that it is incorrect and unfair to call QM2 a sick ship :evilsmile: .

Hi sand dollar26,

Thank you sincerely :) . I am very concerned on reading your comments, so sorry to read that you had such a disappointing and poor time on board. I was last on board QM2 in Nov/Dec 2016 and standards were as they had always been. Although I was in QG, I heard nothing around the ship from other passengers to indicate that things were less than they should have been. So very sorry to read that you didn't have a similar recent experience.

I've very recently (last week) been on board QE (QG) and came down with a cold and cough after a couple of days on board. I noted a couple of other passengers also had similar symptoms. I know it was "man flu" but it did make me feel pretty dreadful for the last few days of the cruise, and somewhat spoiled my enjoyment of excursions ashore. Thankfully it was short lived and has now cleared up.

QE is my second favourite ship (I needn't tell you number 1), the service was superb and almost faultless everywhere I went on board. The ship was well maintained, and I saw almost constant cleaning in all the public rooms.

I am about to book another TA (in Britannia grade) on QM2 for next year, I hope I find things far better than you did; again, so sorry to read that your experience at Christmas was less than we've come to expect.

All best wishes.

Hi Pepper, Thank you for your kind words. My husband and I traveled transatlantic last July/August on the QM2. We thought everything was perfect. All of the crew knew us by name and welcomed us "home." When I came down with "whatever was going around" at Christmas, the head waiter came to my table every day to ask how I was feeling. I told him white lies that I was feeling better but after breakfast I returned to my cabin. We appreciate all those little touches about the QM2. But other things occurred that caused me to raise my eyebrows. I won't even mention them here. As I stated in my last post, the food was very disappointing. We went to the specialty restaurant one evening with another couple we have met over the years. They now charge $19.50 pp for a terrible meal. We are diamond level and therefore did not pay for the meal. My husband hated his dinner of 3 shrimps and 2 scallops. To think people give up their Britannia meal for a dinner at La Piazza for 19.50 pp. My dinner of chicken parmigiana was not good. During the 175th anniversary celebration, the Victoria came through NY and we embarked to Southampton. We loved that ship too. My husband preferred it to the QM2. I still loved the QM2, my favorite ship. Now I am not so sure. We have never been on the Elizabeth. I hope that your future voyages do not reflect my own. Have a great time whichever ship you travel. All the best. S.

As someone who is considering a crossing in October I am quite concerned about this thread. My only other Cunard cruise was a crossing on the QE2 in 1996 and enjoyed it very much. This time it will be a return to the US after three weeks of touring in Croatia. We thought it would be a relaxing way to end a busy vacation of sightseeing. After reading this thread I'm wondering if we shouldn't just hop on a plane and fly home.

If we book we will be in the Britannia dining room. We haven't had an assigned dining time on a cruise in over the years. On the QE2 I recall an assigned table but some flexibility in time. Then there were two levels below the grills and we were in the higher of the two.

Our most recent cruises have been on Seabourn and I know it will quite different to be on a larger ship. So....do the crossing or take the plane???

As someone who is considering a crossing in October I am quite concerned about this thread. My only other Cunard cruise was a crossing on the QE2 in 1996 and enjoyed it very much. This time it will be a return to the US after three weeks of touring in Croatia. We thought it would be a relaxing way to end a busy vacation of sightseeing. After reading this thread I'm wondering if we shouldn't just hop on a plane and fly home.

If we book we will be in the Britannia dining room. We haven't had an assigned dining time on a cruise in over the years. On the QE2 I recall an assigned table but some flexibility in time. Then there were two levels below the grills and we were in the higher of the two.

Our most recent cruises have been on Seabourn and I know it will quite different to be on a larger ship. So....do the crossing or take the plane???

We did the crossing from NY in December. Aside from the premiere disrupting the start of the cruises, we thought the food was really excellent. Cheese board could be better and a few dishes over 21 meals were just ok, but on balance excellent.

Aside from that, the musicians on board were top class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I say take the QM2 crossing. You've flown a lot, so why not try something different and see if it's your cup of tea? No jet lag, lots to do on board, a big beautiful ship. It won't be perfect, but, IMHO, it way beats a long plane flight and all the things that can go wrong with air travel. You might get hooked, like me.

As somebody who loves sailing on QM2 (I'm booked for 21 days in June) I have to advise that a transatlantic crossing may NOT be a good fit for you, given what you have told us. You have to accept that the old QE2 and QM2 are unique ships. Each was built for her era. A lot has changed in the cruising world since 1996. It's impossible to duplicate the same experience you had 22 years ago.

Cunard is a mass market line that also has some premium accommodations. If you are accustomed to a premium line like Seabourn you will not receive the same level of services and ammenities that you have come to expect at the fares that they have to charge.

Assigned dining seems to be a concern. In Britannia one is assigned to a dinner table for either the early or late seating. Breakfast and lunch are open seating. There is also Britannia Club where there is a dedicated section of the dining room. One has the same assigned table for all three meals but one can show up anytime that the dining roon is open. This may feel too restrictive if you are accustomed to more freeform seating and dining times. (There are however specialty restaurants on board.)

And finally, you mentioned three weeks of touring before you board. Many of us sail Cunard because the line has maintained real formal nights especially on transatlantic crossings. We sometimes see complaints from people - on land tours before embarking - who don't want to take or ship any nice clothes. But not to participate in formal nights is to deny yourself the special QM2 experience and elegance.

Many of us here like and appreciate that Cunard maintains some standards of civality. But if you have concerns about what you have read and just want to fly straight home then that might be the better choice for you. It's not for everybody.

Edited by BlueRiband

How many passengers were sick? Do you have precise figures?

have you been following the blog from QM2 which seems to have a different perspective than you?

As I said in the past, Cunard loyal followers would not say anything is wrong even if it is.

No, I am not saying this. In my opinion, most of the passengers have been in a good state of health since they were not affected.

Don't you read what is being said, most people were NOT in good health as they WERE affected. I would guess at least 80% were sick at any one point.

I don’t think anyone has made the rather spurious claim that Cunard is the best line out there. To suggest that any line is objectively the best is, frankly, a bit of a nonsense as people value experiences differently as individuals. Cunard offer one of the nicer onboard ambiences, solid service with occasional glimmers of true excellence, in my experience food that ranges from good to excellent (YMMV, I am not particularly a ‘foodie’) and, yes, if you choose to travel QM2, the experience of a ship like no other. That Cunard does attract a loyal following just goes to show they must be doing something right.

I strongly disagree that QM@ has a nicer onboard ambience, but people loyal to Cunard might think so. A cruise line doesn't have to be doing something right to keep loyal customers coming back. Some would never find anything wrong even if it is.

chloe kitty,

If you have read the previous comments on this (and I propose you do if you haven't), you should have or will notice that it is wrong to call QM2 a sick ship.

It is not. Obviously there have been passengers who fell sick ON THIS PARTICULAR CRUISE, but it is incorrect and unfair to call her that way, because it is a GENERALIZATION.

I strongly disagree that QM@ has a nicer onboard ambience, but people loyal to Cunard might think so.
This statement begs a couple of questions, namely how you define ambience (is it decor, is it grand public spaces, is it refined elegance?) and what lines you have sailed on that exceed Cunard's ambience according to your definition.

Having done a couple of cruises on Holland America in the past year I'd say one area where Cunard beats HAL hands down is in ambience (whether her defined by decor, grand public spaces or refined elegance), so my curiosity is aroused when you offer a (one-sided) comparison of Cunard to some unnamed line with nicer ambience.

As I said in the past, Cunard loyal followers would not say anything is wrong even if it is.

Sorry to hear that your experience with Cunard was not good.

You have any reason to be disappointed and to express that.

No matter how bad your experience was, it seems that your particular cruise was below the norm.

"Loyal Cunarders" - people who defend Cunard still- have very good reasons for doing that, calling them blind or clueless is not helpful at all.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Just off the QM2. We have done dozens of cruises, but this was our first time, and LAST time on Cunard. The food was of low quality. Steaks in the dining room were mostly grizzle. Choice of food was extremely limited. Entertainment was fairly good. Tour desk was lacking. It was a very sick ship. Not a top ship my any means,

Must dito the poster. We sailed QM2 about 4 years ago and were delighted with the cruise in every respect. Over Christmas and the New year of 2017/18 we booked into a Princess Grills suite. The dining experience was a total failure. It's goodbye Cunard for us, as how the mighty have fallen.

Must dito the poster. We sailed QM2 about 4 years ago and were delighted with the cruise in every respect. Over Christmas and the New year of 2017/18 we booked into a Princess Grills suite. The dining experience was a total failure. It's goodbye Cunard for us, as how the mighty have fallen.
So sorry to read that your experience fell so short of your expectations as regards dining, that is poor. As it was a failure from the first night, when you spoke with the restaurant manager/ maitre d' and gave him/her details of the problems, did they do nothing to address your concerns, or to even try to rectify the situation? Did you escalate the complaint and did that also fall on deaf ears? If so, that is inexcusable. What were the problems? Was the rest of the ship fine, just dining in PG so poor?

Again, so sorry to read your comments, and about the poor standards. However, many happy sailings for the future :)

So sorry to read that your experience fell so short of your expectations as regards dining, that is poor. As it was a failure from the first night, when you spoke with the restaurant manager/ maitre d' and gave him/her details of the problems, did they do nothing to address your concerns, or to even try to rectify the situation? Did you escalate the complaint and did that also fall on deaf ears? If so, that is inexcusable. What were the problems? Was the rest of the ship fine, just dining in PG so poor?

Again, so sorry to read your comments, and about the poor standards. However, many happy sailings for the future :)

Would that everyone had the confidence to complain. I once complained to the M.D. about the really poor cheese board ( well not actually a cheese board more a sparse few pieces of dodgy looking Cheddar with a few crackers) and he told me I knew nothing about cheese, end of story. Sometimes it’s just not worth the upset.

DAVID.

Would that everyone had the confidence to complain. I once complained to the M.D. about the really poor cheese board ( well not actually a cheese board more a sparse few pieces of dodgy looking Cheddar with a few crackers) and he told me I knew nothing about cheese, end of story. Sometimes it’s just not worth the upset.
If something is wrong, complain (politely, but firmly) at the time. It may be corrected with apologies and, sometimes, a gesture of goodwill (not just on board a ship please note). Otherwise, having a good moan weeks/months later (and then not to someone who can change things) "and another thing" achieves very little, sadly.

Your cheese "selection" was actually one piece of Cheddar cut into several chunks? How very odd. Not at all my experience.

When the domed "Cheese Dalek" comes 'round there is usually a selection (not one piece of Cheddar cut up) with a good stilton on the lower shelf. On QE within the last fortnight the "Cheese Incubator" came 'round, again with a good selection. You were terribly unlucky.