Pre paying gratuities

MaryCS62

There is info about this on the boards, but I can't find this specific info--

We booked in December of last year, for a cruise this May. I believe we are grandfathered into the lower gratuity rate as long as we pre-pay, which we have no problem doing. Just have 2 questions:

1) Do we need to prepay the grats when we put in final payment (due this Saturday)for the cruise ?

2) Can we do it online (I can't see a place for it) or do we call RCCL (we booked with them over the phone) to do it?

Thanks!!!

We booked in December of last year, for a cruise this May. I believe we are grandfathered into the lower gratuity rate as long as we pre-pay, which we have no problem doing. Just have 2 questions:

1) Do we need to prepay the grats when we put in final payment (due this Saturday)for the cruise ?

2) Can we do it online (I can't see a place for it) or do we call RCCL (we booked with them over the phone) to do it?

Thanks!!!

You need to call RCI if you booked direct, if not, you will probably need to go through your TA.

Thanks!!!

gratuities went up Jan 2nd, I believe if you did not pay them before they went up you will pay the new price. We are sailing in April on the Serenade and made final payment Jan 19th, I paid our gratuities then. They were all the new pricing even though we booked the cruise back in August.

I booked last May, final payment in November. I called in to prepay gratuities yesterday, and was charged the old rate.

gratuities went up Jan 2nd, I believe if you did not pay them before they went up you will pay the new price. We are sailing in April on the Serenade and made final payment Jan 19th, I paid our gratuities then. They were all the new pricing even though we booked the cruise back in August.

You should call them back and get that fixed.

You should have only had to pay the old rate.

My understanding was also that you had to actually pay them in 2017or the new rates would be assessed. It was for this reason that we prepaid them for all our booked 2018 cruises, even those where we haven’t made our final payment.

That was initially thought to be the policy, but it was later clarified that if a cruise was booked before 2018, and gratuities paid before the cruise, then the gratuities would be at the old rate.