MSC vs NCL

Devo12

A little about myself, I am 38, cruise with my 40 year old wife and 15 year old son. We are from the cold north canada and are looking booking a cruise for next February (19). We have done 3 cruises, with the last 2 on NCL. The escape and Getaway. We really enjoy NCL, everything they offer we enjoy. Looking at going on their new ship the bliss next year but there are a few things I don’t particularly care for.

Anyways, I have been looking at MSC and we can cruise in the yacht club for the same money as a balcony on NCL.(free drinks& 3 free specialty meals)

We enjoy laying around, relaxing, our son is very active and enjoys teen club and meeting new friends.

Will we enjoy MSC? Is it freestyle cruising like NCL? Food edible? Yacht club worth it?

Sorry for all the ?’s but thanks for the help.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed the Escape in 2016, leave on Seaside in about 50 days and am booked on the Bliss for The Panama Canal cruise for 2019 so we are in the same situation. Your questions have been asked several times already and been answered in many of the reviews posted over the last few weeks so you might want to go through them. I think the Seaside will be as fun and worth it as you or I can make it. I'm not expecting the buffet to be as good as the one on the Escape ..... We are going to go and form our own opinion. The price was good with 2 kids so it worked for us.

We too are in the same situation. No complaints with NCL at all but looking for a change and to expose our kids to something a little different. We’ve booked Seaside for end of June. Definitely not worried a bit:).

A little about myself, I am 38, cruise with my 40 year old wife and 15 year old son. We are from the cold north canada and are looking booking a cruise for next February (19). We have done 3 cruises, with the last 2 on NCL. The escape and Getaway. We really enjoy NCL, everything they offer we enjoy. Looking at going on their new ship the bliss next year but there are a few things I don’t particularly care for.

Anyways, I have been looking at MSC and we can cruise in the yacht club for the same money as a balcony on NCL.(free drinks& 3 free specialty meals)

We enjoy laying around, relaxing, our son is very active and enjoys teen club and meeting new friends.

Will we enjoy MSC? Is it freestyle cruising like NCL? Food edible? Yacht club worth it?

DS

Look at my signature.....

With freestyle cruising do you mean no set dining time or is it more about lots of restaurants? In the YC you don't have a set time but they will ask what time you want to eat. Less restaurants than on most NCL ships and if you are in the YC you can't eat in the main dining room. (Maybe it can be arranged but you can't just go there and get a table.)

We loved the food.

YC is a must for us so absolutely worth the money, for us.

We were on the Getaway last March and the Seaside in January. My boys are younger, 8 and 10, so the kids club experience won't be comparable. We were in an Aurea balcony, not yacht club.

Yacht club on Seaside vs NCL balcony? Without hesitation I would say Seaside.

Aurea Balcony vs NCL balcony would be a tough call, though.

We noticed A couple of big differences:

Seaside is really set up for traditional dining. The buffet is very small for dinner.

The Seaside seemed less congested to us.

February isn't a big month for school breaks in the US, so either way there will be fewer teenagers on board. But, just from my observation I would guess there would be more teenagers on NCL.

I would say 1/2 of the passengers were European.

People dressed for dinner.

The room we had on Seaside was smaller then the Getaway. We had a large balcony in the front of the ship on Getaway and an Aurea balcony in the front of the ship on Seaside, so very similar. The storage, space and balcony were bigger on Getaway, and you looked directly down to the ocean. On Seaside you looked down into the spa.

What about Itineraries? Are they the same?

I have to tell you I was looking at the exact same 2 cruises for next January, the San Juan, Nassau, St. Martin itinerary.

If the Bliss had stopped at there private island instead of Nassau, I would have done that. If Seaside docked in San Juan earlier, I would have booked that.

So what did I book for 2019? You can check out my signature for the answer. ( I know, probably doesn't help)

Edited by duderino
spelling

DS

We too have sailed withNCL many times and enjoy it very much. We find MSC very different but no better or worse, just different. We also find the YC over rated, found that as far as service quality MSC over sells what they can actually deliver in the YC. We find MSC’s Aurea level service delivers better value. The one thing we love about the YC is the private venues. The YC areas are very nice but the service in them is no better than the general areas other than there are less guests to serve so the servers may be a little more attentive. The YC private pool is excellent, but there is hardly any shade in the pool area and they will not provide umbrellas. We found the specialty restaurants of better quality than the YC private restaurant. Over all a nice experience. We are going back not for the food or service but for the new ship. It looks lovely and we are curious about it. We are also sailing the NCL Bliss, and hopefully Celebrity’s Edge for the same reason. I think you will enjoy MSC.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked Seaside because NCL gave us the nudge we needed recentlyclear.png?emoji-frown-1741:( which caused my DH to say, "I am done!" :(:(:(. We received credit for our Platinum level and happily booked YC saving almost $4000. DSC is $12.50 MSC vs the $16.99 for Suite/Haven. Of course not counting butler and concierge.

We enjoyed the Haven and also suites on NCL so we are pretty sure we will also enjoy the YC. Someone we cruised with on NCL told us we would love YC and they have sailed a few times after leaving NCL.

There are so many ships that cruise that you can enjoy a variety or just cruise one line. There will be good/bad/indifferent points with each. Right now MSC seems a good fit for us.

I haven't been on Seaside but booked for March 19. I can tell you we went on the NCL Escape in 2016 and 2017 and LOVED it. Our currently 10 and 13 year old would go back for a third year in a row but we are doing a 10 day land based vacation in Cozumel this year instead at my cousin's persuading. Anyway, we booked Seaside for next year (Yacht Club) based on a lot of similarities with the Escape.

The Deluxe Suite which was all that was available now for our March 19 (in the Yacht Club) date is similar to a large balcony on the Escape. We get anytime dining. The pools, the waterslides, arcade, etc., but with the YC experience plus at a lower price than a standard balcony on the Escape.

Will it be the same as the other American lines? Does it include bumper cars, ice skating, etc. like on RCCL, or a ropes course like NCL? No, no and no. But as I stated on another post, a vacation is what you make it. And its not like you're working with little to nothing on Seaside from what I read on paper. lol. I'm just saying MY KIDS (not everyone's) will have more than enough to do with pools, slides, arcade, bowling, chocolate shop, cooking classes, etc. Heck, they even like to eat fancy meals and walk around the ship and look at the ocean for entertainment. Though they may read a book (no ipads allowed) for the first hour of dinner. Ha. That's a terrible thing to encourage.

And as some have pointed out, they're fortunate to come along. Not everyone brings their kids on vacation I guess.

Anyway, in terms of the food. I see a lot of people complaining about the fact that you have to sit for a few hours to enjoy a great meal. I had to do that on NCL in the dining room. And that the buffet is limited in selection. From what I've read, MSC has great burgers, hot dogs and pizza at their buffets and other good selections as well for breakfast. NCL had A LOT of variety on the buffet. But for MY tastes, it was pretty bland stuff. I left 3/4 on the plate because I am not a big fan of eating it if I don't like it. I would have rated the dining room 3 stars out of 5. Good and consistent but not great. Will be interested to see what Seaside is like.

Good luck and have a great vacation whatever you choose. I just know for us, you can't go wrong with a vacation of this caliber and don't listen to somone that tells you a ship without an ice rink or a buffet that offers a dozen good choices ovs 75 just so, so ones will somehow make for a terrible vacation.

Edited by LakeWobegon

We booked Seaside because NCL gave us the nudge we needed recentlyclear.png?emoji-frown-1741:( which caused my DH to say, "I am done!" :(:(:(. We received credit for our Platinum level and happily booked YC saving almost $4000. DSC is $12.50 MSC vs the $16.99 for Suite/Haven. Of course not counting butler and concierge.

We enjoyed the Haven and also suites on NCL so we are pretty sure we will also enjoy the YC. Someone we cruised with on NCL told us we would love YC and they have sailed a few times after leaving NCL.

There are so many ships that cruise that you can enjoy a variety or just cruise one line. There will be good/bad/indifferent points with each. Right now MSC seems a good fit for us.

You will enjoy YC. We did our first after several NCL suites. YC is different since they have the nice lounge in the front and snacks there plus up by the pool. Drinks in mini-fridge are included. Rooms are overall smaller though than most NCL suites.

You will enjoy YC. We did our first after several NCL suites. YC is different since they have the nice lounge in the front and snacks there plus up by the pool. Drinks in mini-fridge are included. Rooms are overall smaller though than most NCL suites.

Thanks, I will enjoy. It is ok if the cabin is smaller since we usually spend most of our cabin time on the balcony. Even the DH is excited about a new cruise line suite experience.

You sound like the perfect family for the Yacht Club. You and your wife will enjoy the excellent service and relaxing atmosphere of the Yacht Club while your son is only a few feet away from the forward elevators and all the excitement that the Seaside has to offer. I think that the food is similar to that on NCL (I sailed on the Breakaway) and the Yacht Club is definitely worth it. Bob

Thanks for the replies, one more question. For supper in the YC restaurant, do we have to dress up or will shorts, golf shirt and flip flops work?

I'm sorry....but I just got a chuckle out of this... oh my.....LOL

I'm sorry....but I just got a chuckle out of this... oh my.....LOL

Not sure what the chuckle is all about? Nice shorts, button down golf shirt and boat shoes will work for you. We were on for the Jan 27th cruise YC and some men had shorts on and didn't get turned away.

Not sure what the chuckle is all about? Nice shorts, button down golf shirt and boat shoes will work for you. We were on for the Jan 27th cruise YC and some men had shorts on and didn't get turned away.

Excellent, thanks. That is what I was looking for, although not sure what boat shoes are! Will figure it out.

DS

Most people that go YC will not go back to NCL and your are saving lots of $$$$.

Thanks for the replies, one more question. For supper in the YC restaurant, do we have to dress up or will shorts, golf shirt and flip flops work?

I saw people who had to go and change when they came to the restaurant in shorts on Meraviglia last summer. It was not a formal night.

With freestyle cruising do you mean no set dining time or is it more about lots of restaurants? In the YC you don't have a set time but they will ask what time you want to eat. Less restaurants than on most NCL ships and if you are in the YC you can't eat in the main dining room. (Maybe it can be arranged but you can't just go there and get a table.)

We loved the food.

YC is a must for us so absolutely worth the money, for us.

Ummm...wait! If we're in the YC - and we are - we are seriously tied to only the YC restaurant??? :o:o So we cannot eat at any of the free MDR's if we want to change up a night or two?? That's definitely different....:confused::confused:

Ummm...wait! If we're in the YC - and we are - we are seriously tied to only the YC restaurant??? :o:o So we cannot eat at any of the free MDR's if we want to change up a night or two?? That's definitely different....:confused::confused:
Yes you can, at least a couple on our cruise did (Although I can't see why), just ask the concierge to arrange it for you. Also there are three specialty restaurants right outside the Yacht Club entrance although they are not included. We bought the Trio dining package for the week that we were not in the Yacht Club (We were on a B2B with week two in the Yacht Club) which gives you a sample of what each has to offer.

I am looking forward to the YC restaurant because unlike the Haven restaurant it seems the menu changes every day according to what I read online. Our last cruise on the Epic we had two comp Platnium dinners and for the first time, they were not good. But I have to admit you do want a changeup even though the Haven and for non-Haven restaurant ships the am/lunch menu was always adjusted if you I had a special request. I am looking forward to trying the comped dinner on Seaside and the YC restaurant.

Yes you can, at least a couple on our cruise did (Although I can't see why), just ask the concierge to arrange it for you. Also there are three specialty restaurants right outside the Yacht Club entrance although they are not included. We bought the Trio dining package for the week that we were not in the Yacht Club (We were on a B2B with week two in the Yacht Club) which gives you a sample of what each has to offer.

Ok...thanks. Sounds like a good idea. We are on deck 16 and from the deckplan layout, it looks like we can walk straight thru to the specialty restaurants, too. :D:D