Gala Night Clarification Please

RR6576

I thought that Gala Night was just in the MDR but after reading some threads I wonder if that is incorrect. Our plan was to go to the MDR on Gala Nights so we could have that experience and then other nights go to those specialty restaurants we are interested in. Will there be a “gala” experience there as well? Am I correct in assuming that the food on Gala night in the MDR is a step or two up from other nights? Just trying to determine where to make reservations on the different evenings. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

I thought that Gala Night was just in the MDR but after reading some threads I wonder if that is incorrect. Our plan was to go to the MDR on Gala Nights so we could have that experience and then other nights go to those specialty restaurants we are interested in. Will there be a “gala” experience there as well? Am I correct in assuming that the food on Gala night in the MDR is a step or two up from other nights? Just trying to determine where to make reservations on the different evenings. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

To answer your question, there is no "gala experience" in the specialty restaurants. In fact, some people go to the specialty restaurants on Gala Nights so that they don't have to meet the minimum dress code in the MDR.

HAL has downgraded the "formal night" to "gala night" and in the process has relaxed the dress code and IMO has done little to spruce up the MDR as in the past. The food is better (again IMO), but nothing super special.

I still like to dine in the MDR on gala nights and the specialty dining on evenings where I anticipate the MDR food offerings will not impress me.

I actually disagree about the food. My experience has been that the food in the MDR has been less impressive on gala night than a regular night. Not at all saying the food is bad; just not as good choices or just weird ones on gala night IMO. Honestly for my next cruise I'd like to find out what nights the gala nights are and go to Pinnacle on at least one of them.

To confuse the OP further, our experience is somewhat better food on Gala night, usually surf and turf, beef Wellington, stuff like that. As to specialty restaurants, our experience is people will dress up just as much on Gala night as the MDR. I will say experiences will differ depending on where you cruise (Caribbean less formal) and how long you cruise (longer tends to be more formal).

To what I believe is the OPs question, we usually try to book our specialty visits to non-Gala nights as we find the gala nights in the MDR a slight step up.

We've gone to the MDR on Gala Nights and have also booked specialty restaurants on those nights. Lots of people look forward to the beef (surf 'n turf) that is served in the MDR on Gala Nights. We pass on that. We always have much better beef at home than in served in the MDR on Gala Nights. On our last cruise on the K we tried the Arctic Char on Gala Nights and it was delicious.

OP, if you consider Surf 'N Turf as a step up then you may enjoy Gala Nights. One night you will be served small shrimp as the Turf and it will be a Rock Lobster tail on another night.

One night you will be served small shrimp as the Turf and it will be a Rock Lobster tail on another night.

Actually, shrimp and lobster would be the 'Surf' (from the sea) half of the dish. The 'Turf' (from land) half is typically beef, such as steak for example.

Thanks for all the opinions. We took a few cruises 20+ years ago, so this upcoming 10-day southern Caribbean on Feb. 25 is like starting completely over with all the changes. It certainly is all a bit confusing but believe I have a better understanding at least of Gala Nights now. Good to know that it usually involves Surf ‘n Turf. We, too, often shy away from beef when we travel just because we’ve grown accustomed and prefer the particular flavor of the meat from our region. Think we’ll plan on the first Gala Night, make a few reservations at specialty restaurants, and leave the second Gala Night TBD. All sounds good to me right now; dinner without planning, shopping, or preparing! What’s not to love in that scenario?

I realize many like to claim the "special items" are one reason to patronize the MDR on Gala Nights. However, on our last cruise on Oosterdam (March 2017), the "special items", ie, surf and turf, filet, etc., were also available in the buffet.