Anyone else miss the old head waiter/asst waiter setup?

bender031177

7 tables is a far cry from the 15 someone implied earlier.

But too many to provide the level of service that was given in the past. They work hard and are polite and get the job done . But not on the level that seasoned cruisers are used too

But too many to provide the level of service that was given in the past. They work hard and are polite and get the job done . But not on the level that seasoned cruisers are used too

So true. Cruising used to be an affordable luxury. Now way too many people are accepting of inferior service compared to what we use to have.

In another year or so Carnival will be telling us that one time stateroom service will be standard because that is what we the passengers want.

Just what is a seasoned cruiser and what service is it that you are looking for?

"The first time we sat at our table for over 45 mins. before we even got our water. Then another 30 mins. to get a server."

Oh please, if this is true it's 100% your fault. I wouldn't wait 5 minutes for water without getting up and saying something. So it took you 1 hour and 15 minutes just to order, exaggerating much? It rarely takes us that long to finish dinner in the MDR

"The first time we sat at our table for over 45 mins. before we even got our water. Then another 30 mins. to get a server."

Oh please, if this is true it's 100% your fault. I wouldn't wait 5 minutes for water without getting up and saying something. So it took you 1 hour and 15 minutes just to order, exaggerating much? It rarely takes us that long to finish dinner in the MDR

(y)(y)

Just what is a seasoned cruiser and what service is it that you are looking for?

To me someone who has been cruising say 10 years and remembers how Carnival used to be with Capt Welcome Aboard (or farewell party that came after that was discontinued) party and all the things that were done back than that newbies have no idea about.

To me someone who has been cruising say 10 years and remembers how Carnival used to be with Capt Welcome Aboard (or farewell party that came after that was discontinued) party and all the things that were done back than that newbies have no idea about.

Like what?

So true. Cruising used to be an affordable luxury. Now way too many people are accepting of inferior service compared to what we use to have.

In another year or so Carnival will be telling us that one time stateroom service will be standard because that is what we the passengers want.

But the answer is simple- cruise with a line that offers that service and pay more for it. I, for one, am perfectly fine with the service being provided given the price I am paying for my fare. In this day and age you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But the answer is simple- cruise with a line that offers that service and pay more for it. I, for one, am perfectly fine with the service being provided given the price I am paying for my fare. In this day and age you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I agree. We have been fortunate to have been cruising for over 30 years and have enjoyed every one and still do.. Cruise prices have not increased anywhere near inflation over that period. What has happened is there has been a steady decline in the quality of the product.

That being said cruising is still a super value for the $$$$$. We will continue to cruise but to say that you get all the things on today' s cruises that you did 20 years ago is simply not true

We do miss the things Carnival used to offer (better entertainment, better service in DR) and that is one of the two reasons we have moved on to Princess for most of our cruises.

I have never had any issues. My last cruise we had a head waiter, two assistants and a bar runner. All were fabulous. They remembered names, preferences, handed out rolls, poured water...all the things we love about eating in the main dining room.

I agree. We have been fortunate to have been cruising for over 30 years and have enjoyed every one and still do.. Cruise prices have not increased anywhere near inflation over that period. What has happened is there has been a steady decline in the quality of the product.

That being said cruising is still a super value for the $$$$$. We will continue to cruise but to say that you get all the things on today' s cruises that you did 20 years ago is simply not true

I'm not sure anyone is actually saying that cruising today is the same as it was 20 years ago but I agree that there is a huge difference (based on what I have read, my cruising more than 20 years ago involved ships with guns, which is not quite the same as cruising:)).

We do miss the things Carnival used to offer (better entertainment' date=' better service in DR) and that is one of the two reasons we have moved on to Princess for most of our cruises.[/quote']

There you have it. I am happy with what I get from Carnival and when the day comes that I'm not I'll move on, probably to land vacations because I don't see the other lines offering any value to me for what they charge.

The last two nights of our recent cruise, the total time in the MDR from seating to leaving was 90-110 minutes. I didn't check my watch on the previous nights. It seemed like we were in there for a long time. "Showtime" was going on while we were between appetizers and before we got our entree's!!! Usually, that's a dessert-time entertainment.

No complaining. Just not surprised anymore when others talk about how slow the MDR has become.

We've cruised 8 times--8 times we've had a Head Waiter and 2 Assistants.

Each and every cruise we talk to them each night-taken pictures together, learned about their homelands, their families, etc.

On our cruise this past December on the Conquest, our Head Waiter was from Bali, and each and every night he would tell us stories about his country, its history, etc.

We have dined in the Dining Room each night of all of our cruises--a big part of that has been the interaction with the staff.

The last two nights of our recent cruise, the total time in the MDR from seating to leaving was 90-110 minutes. I didn't check my watch on the previous nights. It seemed like we were in there for a long time. "Showtime" was going on while we were between appetizers and before we got our entree's!!! Usually, that's a dessert-time entertainment.

No complaining. Just not surprised anymore when others talk about how slow the MDR has become.

Billfish: This is how it's relevant to the thread

We have always enjoyed late dining. No rush after excursions and no rush dinning. Wait staff always attentive and great. Yes, this is on Carnival. The few cutbacks they have instituted have not effected me or my husband. The chocolate on the bed, we collected and brought home anyway. Didn’t notice much more. A cruise is what you make it. I don’t look for things to complain about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do agree that things are different. I only remember the names of the wait staff that was on a cruise from 12 years ago (and the one we just got off of this morning for obvious reasons) on the Carnival Spirit because Francisco and Ariel made it very memorable for my family. They realized quickly that we were joking an playing around with them and I think that even makes it a better cruise for them!!

We had my ex and his 3 kids with us, along with my parents and aunt and uncle. My dad and uncle decided that they were going to joke around with the guys and move the silverware around. And every time one of them would walk by they would switch it back. They caught on quickly what we were doing and then realized that they could have fun with us cause we were having fun with them!!!

One night one of them was telling a joke and my aunt had her hand over the butter (it was part of the joke)... When the waiter that was doing the joke pushed her hand in to the butter. He thought he was gonna get in to trouble until he realized that we were ok with it and enjoyed it.

They are still personable and try to interact with you on a personal level but I do think that they have new to do and can’t spend as much time as they could in the past with you.

I will say, the head waiter on the Splendor we just got off this morning, kept my kids coming back to the dining room for dinner every night because he made them a different oragami animal every night....

I agree with the first poster. We have been cruising since 2004 and a couple of weeks ago we were on the Carnival Sunshine which was my 48th cruise with Carnival. It seems like a lot has changed and the dining room has always been one of the highlights of our cruises. I love being waited on and catered to since I do the catering at home. The wait staff seemed to be overworked. They tried very hard and apologized for the delays etc. We never complained because we could see they were working their butts off. Carnival is cutting corners and the crew is suffering for it.

The shows aren't as good as they used to be, very seldom go to the shows any more.

We will be going on a different cruise line in April for the first time. We will still cruise Carnival but want to see what other cruise lines are like.