Have mercy- long winded alcohol questions!

Janeille

Hello! My husband and I are looking forward to our first cruise on Allure in April. Our travel agent has been an incredible source of information on almost everything, except the whole alcohol issue.

As I understand there is a drink package we can purchase for

our kids that is just soda. There is also a drink package we can purchase for ourselves that includes alcoholic beverages. My husband and I both drink, and for us on vacation 4-6 alcoholic drinks per day is about what we anticipate to each drink. This would be a mix of fruity poolside drinks, wine, beer and maybe a hard liquor nightcap. We are fine with “house” and “well” drinks. I understand wine can be purchased by the bottle and there is an onboard liquor store. Is the liquor purchased on board allowed to be opened and consumed or is it held until the end of the cruise? What is the “house” brand of wine? It seems to me the cost of an alcohol drink package fluctuates- is that the case?

I feel like this whole process of having a few drinks at sea is far more complicated than seems reasonable, am I missing something or is it?

Thank you in advance!

The bottles of hard liquor you can ourchase onboard are not allowed to be consumed onboard. It is true that the price of the drink package fluctuates.

Note that you don't need a package to consume alcoholic drinks. You can buy them one at a time.

The bottles of hard liquor you can ourchase onboard are not allowed to be consumed onboard. It is true that the price of the drink package fluctuates.

Note that you don't need a package to consume alcoholic drinks. You can buy them one at a time.

Thank you for your reply! From what I had read previously I wasn’t clear if all liquor purchased was held or only liquor purchased at ports off ship was held.

Thank you for your reply! From what I had read previously I wasn’t clear if all liquor purchased was held or only liquor purchased at ports off ship was held.

The only alcoholic beverages you can bring on the ship and keep for consumption during the cruise are two 750ml bottles of wine, at initial embakration only.

Also, you don't have to buy full bottles of wine. If you have the drink package or are drinking where you pay per drink, there are plenty of wines that you get get by the glass. Many are under the $12/13 drink package limit, and if you get a glass over it, and are on the drink package, you only pay the overage amount (plus 18% gratuity). You are not limited to one brand of "house" wine. Many brand name liquors are also included with the drinks package - again, it is about the total cost of a drink (shot, glass of wine, beer, cocktail, etc.) rather than a specific brand.

Yes you need to buy drink package, you can get decent wines by the glass that will be covered. No need to order house drinks most of what we order is considered top shelf and is covered such as 12 year old scotch , Bombay sapphire gin etc .

Thank you for the replies! I’m glad to hear that branded wines/liquors are included in the package.

Is there a limit to drinks per day/per person? At $12-$13 per drink I can imagine the package as invaluable. Why is there so much smoke & mirrors surrounding the purchase? I see a lot of posts stating “the price dropped to ___” or “bought package on day 3 for $___!” . I’m really confused as to why it seems to be such a fluctuating variable.

Thank you for the replies! I’m glad to hear that branded wines/liquors are included in the package.

Is there a limit to drinks per day/per person? At $12-$13 per drink I can imagine the package as invaluable. Why is there so much smoke & mirrors surrounding the purchase? I see a lot of posts stating “the price dropped to ___” or “bought package on day 3 for $___!” . I’m really confused as to why it seems to be such a fluctuating variable.

No limits. (they will cut you off if you become abusive or a danger to yourself or others)

The prices change because RC is always seeking to maximize profit. Sometimes that comes from higher prices at a lower volume and sometimes it's lower prices with higher volume.

It's like airline tickets. Different prices all the time for the same seats.

No daily drink limit.

Not only no limit, but on my last cruise we were able to order doubles, I have seen many people that should have been cut off that were not. Price for package is strange changes from ship to ship and week to week, I would just buy it and keep looking at price if it goes down you can cancel it and rebook it, which we did last cruise.

At 6 drinks per day you're kinda right on the line between the package being worth it and not. But remember that you need to *average* 6-7 drinks per day to make the package worthwhile, and that includes shore excursion days when your booze will not be covered by the package unless you're at one of their "private islands." So you will either need to cram all your drinking into that evening, or drink more per day on non-shore days in order to make it worthwhile.

On our last several cruises they have offered a 10-drink punch card around day 3 which covers the same booze as the drink package, and works out to about $10 per drink. We've found that to be a much better deal, as 10 drinks over 4 days is a lot more doable than 49 drinks over 7.

And don’t forget non alcoholic drinks are covered too (cappuccinos, fresh pressed orange juice, soft drinks, etc).

We bought the package for $42 per day. 3 $12 drinks + a $6 beer and we’re even. Worth it for us.

I agree. With the consumption that the OP gave us, the drink package should be well worth it. Six drinks per day at $12 a drink is already $72 per day. Then, there are things like the fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffees, water, etc. I don't believe I've ever seen the deluxe package go for more than $55 per day. If you catch a decent sale, you're down to $45 per day.

I wish people would stop trotting out that old myth (6 drinks per day to break even) - it depends on what you drink. Also it depends on how port intensive your trip is. If you have several sea days it is very, very easy to make the package a great deal. If you are a soda/beer/wine drinker, then yes it probably isn't worth your time. BUT if you like to have bottled water in your cabin (picked up at bars on way back to cabin each day) and to take off on excursion, fresh squeezed orange juice, specialty coffees and higher end drinks (martinis, margaritas etc.) and like a specific brand of alcohol, it is very easy (even on a port day) to break even.

The fluctuating price of the drink package is a joke as is most of Royal's pricing. Carnival and NCL drink packages are at a set rate and do not fluctuate. It makes it hard to plan for your trip and compare overall prices with other cruise lines when you're unsure if your booze is going to cost $40 or $55 a day. That $15 a day plus gratuity for 7+ night sailings can really make a difference when several adults in your party are drinking.

I wish people would stop trotting out that old myth (6 drinks per day to break even) - it depends on what you drink. Also it depends on how port intensive your trip is. If you have several sea days it is very, very easy to make the package a great deal. If you are a soda/beer/wine drinker, then yes it probably isn't worth your time. BUT if you like to have bottled water in your cabin (picked up at bars on way back to cabin each day) and to take off on excursion, fresh squeezed orange juice, specialty coffees and higher end drinks (martinis, margaritas etc.) and like a specific brand of alcohol, it is very easy (even on a port day) to break even.

It's really simple - are a liquor or beer drinker? If you drink liquor there isn't a single drink on most ships that are under $10. Same with wine. If you're a bud light kind of drinker than no, don't buy the drink package. But if you drink liquor or wine it's a no brainer.