Pier length?

goldne

Hi, is the pier at Costa Maya really long?

Was thinking about doing excursion in the morning, going back to the ship for lunch/put our stuff in the cabin, and then coming back to the port area to enjoy the pool there for a little bit.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on which berth your ship is docked, I would say 12-15 minutes to get from the excursion drop off, through the port and to your ship. The return from the ship to the pool would be a little less. This assumes you walk fairly quickly, have no mobility issues and don’t stop in the port to shop or look at anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We were there yesterday and I never saw a shuttle. Three ships in port.

That's odd. Every time I've been there they had a shuttle that ran from one end of the pier to the other. It was basically like a couple of trolley cars that get towed in one direction by a truck, and then the truck unhitches from the front and hitches to the back, so they could be pulled back the way they came. Nothing like that was available? Maybe they weren't getting enough in tips to keep it running. A lot of people always rode it, but perhaps they weren't tipping when they used it.

That's odd. Every time I've been there they had a shuttle that ran from one end of the pier to the other. It was basically like a couple of trolley cars that get towed in one direction by a truck, and then the truck unhitches from the front and hitches to the back, so they could be pulled back the way they came. Nothing like that was available? Maybe they weren't getting enough in tips to keep it running. A lot of people always rode it, but perhaps they weren't tipping when they used it.

Fairly sure I would have noticed something like that... the pier was packed with people walking both directions so I assume we would have had to move for it to pass...?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last visit had 3 ships in port with no shuttle; there were cement barriers to guide people off the ships to the Tourist Village and those returning back. This was a change from our previous visit; our last trip was Nov2017

It is very rare to have 3 ships in Costa Maya at one time. With 3 large ships in port the docks would be too crowded for the shuttle to safely operate and it would not be able to handle all who wished to use it.

Last visit had 3 ships in port with no shuttle; there were cement barriers to guide people off the ships to the Tourist Village and those returning back. This was a change from our previous visit; our last trip was Nov2017

I can confirm this. We were there last month on a three ship day and there were cement barriers on the pier and no more shuttle. My husband has limited mobility so we have always used the shuttle in the past in Costa Maya. We definitely missed having it.

I too was there mid nov thru mid dec on the Pearl b2b and each visit there were two other ships and no shuttle. It was obvious to me that with all the port chgs, that this port will be very popular, and the days of the shuttle are gone, till the eastern port get back to normal. It's a long walk if you have ANY difficulties. Love the port but missed it both times this trip. The actual amount of passengers on the pier was staggering. Not worth the hassle for us, though we have been here many times. It is worth it if you have not. Check Cruis TT for your cruise to see how many ships that day. Then plan accordingly. Good luck. Also, anyone out there actually seem the shuttle after we were there 12/9/17? Just wondering if its gone for good.

• 3 weeks later...
Really throws a wrench into my plan for booking an excursion on my own. :loudcry::loudcry:

I am not aware of any pier transportation offered for ship excursions, so I am not sure that will be an option either. You may check with your cruise line and see if they offer wheelchair rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you checked and your ship will be the only one in port that day, then you might just check on the roll calls of ships that were just in port on a day when no other ship was in port to see if they had the shuttle then.

Some of the cruises that were supposed to be the only ships in port that day are the Royal Caribbean Vision on March 11 and 25 and Rhapsody of the Seas on March 9.

If the pier trolley isn't reliable to be there, are there any other options for getting down the pier, such as pedicabs or golf carts? I don't walk well at all and am getting very concerned about figuring out how to get to the taxi area.

Thanks for any help.

Keep in mind that it's also a long way from the end of the pier to the taxi area. I'm not sure that a wheel chair will go any farther than the pier entrance. The port is designed to force you to walk by every possible way to spend money.

Was there on Friday, 3/23 on Rhapsody of the Seas. There was NO shuttle (the port talk on the ship said there would be) either direction at any time of day and there were 2 ships in port. I have some difficulty with walking long distances and it was a long walk for me and there is really nowhere to stop and rest. I did see a few people in wheelchairs. Expect up to a 30 minute walk if you don't move quickly. The stop was interesting but it's really just a lot of stores so you might want to consider that in your decision to leave the ship. It is easy to find taxi or trolley rides if you want to leave and go into "town" and just as easy to find a taxi (for $2 per person) to return to the port - but you will still need to walk to the ship.